Netgear DG834GT and DMT

Old June 14th 11, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

Default Netgear DG834GT and DMT

I have been experimenting with this but can't get it to work. I Googled
quite a lot but to no avail. I suspect I am missing something blindingly
obvious so any constructive suggestions would be welcome. I have an ex Sky
box re flashed with the latest Netgear DG834GT firmware. I have tested this
and it works Ok albeit the sync speed is somewhat lower than my 2Wire
2700HG. I put the DG834GT in debug mode and have remote management turned
on. When I run DMT v8.07 the error message returned when I attempt to
connect is can not identify modemtype. I have the modem set to the default
address of 192.168.0.1 using port 23 and with the correct login password.
All help will be personally acknowledged. TIA.

Peter Crosland

Old June 14th 11, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Invalid

In message , Peter
Crosland writes
I have been experimenting with this but can't get it to work. I Googled
quite a lot but to no avail. I suspect I am missing something blindingly
obvious so any constructive suggestions would be welcome. I have an ex Sky
box re flashed with the latest Netgear DG834GT firmware. I have tested this
and it works Ok albeit the sync speed is somewhat lower than my 2Wire
2700HG. I put the DG834GT in debug mode and have remote management turned
on. When I run DMT v8.07 the error message returned when I attempt to
connect is can not identify modemtype. I have the modem set to the default
address of 192.168.0.1 using port 23 and with the correct login password.
All help will be personally acknowledged. TIA.

Peter Crosland

Peter,

Not sure why you are using DMT, and I can't really help. But if it's to
tweak the SNR, can I suggest using the DGTeam firmware rather than
Netgear's.

The DGTeam firmware allows for tweaking of the SNR within the router web
interface, and the tweaks survive a router reboot.

I use an ex Sky GT with DGteam firmware V1.03.22.

With 41.0dB line attenuation I set the SNR tweak to around 60%. If it
fails during the night when SNR's are at their worst it typically
recovers to a 6300+ sync speed and preserves at least a 5500 BRAS
profile.

Resyncs in the morning achieve 7300+ ( I have seen 7800+) but the router
won't hold that overnight when the noise increases.

Ideal is to resync in the early evening and get a 6848 sync speed with
SNR at 4.0-5.0. The router will hold that for long periods ( I have seen
1000+ hours uptime) and I get a 6000 BRAS profile compared with most of
my neighbours 4500.

--
Invalid
Old June 14th 11, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

"Invalid" wrote in message
In message , Peter
Crosland writes
[...]

Thanks for that. I could not get the DG firmware to work but I may have
another try. I shall wait and see what others say. I do want to tweak the
SNR as I have a had an issue for the last two weeks and wanted to try and
see what a reasonable level was. Previously my 2700HG worked for weeks at a
time with a target SNR of 6DB and a sync rate of around 3700. The there were
two trunk cable thefts within ten days and after they were repaired my
connection has been rubbish. Currently the target SNR is stuck at 15db and
the sync is around 2300. I thought if I could get a reliable connection at a
certain figure I might be able to persuade my ISP to get some action from
BT.

Peter Crosland

Old June 14th 11, 10:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
robert

On 14/06/2011 20:43, Peter Crosland wrote:
I have been experimenting with this but can't get it to work. I Googled
quite a lot but to no avail. I suspect I am missing something blindingly
obvious so any constructive suggestions would be welcome. I have an ex Sky
box re flashed with the latest Netgear DG834GT firmware. I have tested this
and it works Ok albeit the sync speed is somewhat lower than my 2Wire
2700HG. I put the DG834GT in debug mode and have remote management turned
on. When I run DMT v8.07 the error message returned when I attempt to
connect is can not identify modemtype. I have the modem set to the default
address of 192.168.0.1 using port 23 and with the correct login password.
All help will be personally acknowledged. TIA.

Peter Crosland

On my DG834G this works but I have the "special login" box ticked on DMT
- cant remember if this is the default !
Old June 14th 11, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

"robert" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for that Robert. You may have cracked it because with that set I no
longer get the error message and the DG834GT does attempt to connect to the
DSL line. I shall leave it until the morning to gice it a try as I need to
do some overnight downloads first. I will report the results tomorrow
evening.

Peter Crosland

Old June 15th 11, 08:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
robert

On 14/06/2011 22:24, Peter Crosland wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Glad it worked - I seem to remember having the same problem but couldnt
remember the exact details ( an age effect).
Old June 15th 11, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 22:24:58 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

"robert" wrote in message
[...]

FWIW I have tried the 2wire and the same netgear router with dgteam
firmware (and others) on my line. Even with the SNR tweak the 2wire
still out performs the netgear*.

The SNR on the netgear has to be tweaked lower than the default target
margin and results in less stability than is achieved by the 2wire at
the same sync speed.

* YMMV.
--
(\__/) M.

Old June 16th 11, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

wrote in message
[...]

I have e now had the opportunity to connect it to the phone line.
Unfortunately whilst it did connect and I can run DMT the tab that allows
access to the slider in DMT just gives a beep if clicked. Perhaps someone
can tell me how to get this working?

Peter Crosland

Old June 16th 11, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

wrote in message
[...]

I use the router firmware option to tweak the SNR margin. I don't
recall getting DMT to work either.
--
(\__/) M.

Old June 16th 11, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.comp.home-networking
Andrew Benham

wrote in message
[...]

I've not used DMT, as there's no Linux version and I run the DGTeam
firmware on my ex-Sky DG834GT which lets me tweak the SNR (and saves
the adjustment figure so it's preserved over a power cycle).
However I guess DMT just telnets in to the box and runs adslctl - so
you could do that manually:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/dg834GT_targetsnr.htm

My experiences of tweaking the SNR margin on the DG834GT are detailed at
the bottom of:

http://www.adsb.co.uk/adsl/routers.html

I'm currently running with the DGTeam's slider at 47%, which is
about as low as I can go and still have the ADSL stable and reliable.