Another FTTC Slippage

Old June 18th 11, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Glyn Morgan

Default Another FTTC Slippage

In the last few days FTTC on the Aldershot exchange has slipped from July
1st to Sept 30th having already slipped from June.

Not unexpected but a little bit annoying. I have to give 3 months notice
with my current ISP and was aiming at 15th August so have already given
notice. I'll now have to arrange something else. I'm reluctant to go to BT
so are there any others that will let you take up non FTTC with a promise of
upgrading you to FTTC when it eventually arrives? I was sort of looking at
Plusnet. I am currently ADSL2+ via BE LLU (Wholesale) and getting about 4M
in & 1M out on a ****-poor attenuation of around 58db.

Glyn

Old June 19th 11, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Glyn Morgan wrote:
In the last few days FTTC on the Aldershot exchange has slipped from
July 1st to Sept 30th having already slipped from June.

Not unexpected but a little bit annoying. I have to give 3 months notice
with my current ISP and was aiming at 15th August so have already given
notice. I'll now have to arrange something else. I'm reluctant to go to
BT so are there any others that will let you take up non FTTC with a
promise of upgrading you to FTTC when it eventually arrives?

Perhaps one of the smaller ISPs, Fast, Goscomb, Merula, IDNet ? :-

Full list of FTTC ISPs he-

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AquiMM6uTUUzdHl4RGRZcnE1WWw0S VlLcVlzQWZuVFE&output=html

I'm with IDNet, I found them very helpful providing me with FTTC, despite
being too far from the cab to fall within BT's 15Mb/s predicted speed. Actual
speed 29 Mb/s.

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Old June 19th 11, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Glyn Morgan

"Mark Carver" wrote in message

Perhaps one of the smaller ISPs, Fast, Goscomb, Merula, IDNet ? :-

Full list of FTTC ISPs he-

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AquiMM6uTUUzdHl4RGRZcnE1WWw0S VlLcVlzQWZuVFE&output=html

I'm with IDNet, I found them very helpful providing me with FTTC, despite
being too far from the cab to fall within BT's 15Mb/s predicted speed.
Actual speed 29 Mb/s.

Thanks Mark. That was an interesting spreadsheet.

I was thinking about something "unlimited" on the basis that broadcasting is
going on-line and rapidly expanding but that does seem to seriously limit
ones choice.

Plusnet still looks good with up to 120GB down/month and also provide a
cut-price rate for my exchange. Oddly they limit the up-rate to 2 Mb/s,
compared to 10Mb/s for many others and while I'm not planning to be
streaming anything out it does imply a lack of future-proofing.

I think I'll have to talk to them to see if they will provide an upgrade
path to FTTC from ADSL if I move to them before fibre gets enabled.

Glyn

Old June 19th 11, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Glyn Morgan wrote:

Full list of FTTC ISPs he-

https://spreadsheets0.google.com/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AquiMM6uTUUzdHl4RGRZcnE1WWw0S VlLcVlzQWZuVFE&output=html

Thanks Mark. That was an interesting spreadsheet.

I was thinking about something "unlimited" on the basis that
broadcasting is going on-line and rapidly expanding but that does seem
to seriously limit ones choice.

Plusnet still looks good with up to 120GB down/month and also provide a
cut-price rate for my exchange. Oddly they limit the up-rate to 2 Mb/s,
compared to 10Mb/s for many others and while I'm not planning to be
streaming anything out it does imply a lack of future-proofing.

Be aware of their traffic shaping policy for the FTTC packages though !

http://www.plus.net/support/broadban...d_speeds.shtml

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Old June 19th 11, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 11:53:31 +0100, "Glyn Morgan"
wrote:

In the last few days FTTC on the Aldershot exchange has slipped from July
1st to Sept 30th having already slipped from June.

I'm reluctant to go to BT I was sort of looking at
Plusnet.

BT own Plusnet
--
Cheers

Peter

(Reply to address is a spam trap - pse reply to the group)
Old June 20th 11, 07:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

wrote:

In the last few days FTTC on the Aldershot exchange has slipped from July
1st to Sept 30th having already slipped from June.

I'm reluctant to go to BT I was sort of looking at
Plusnet.

BT own Plusnet
--

This is true but is a complete red herring. PN is run as a separate entity
from BT.

Peter Crosland

Old June 20th 11, 07:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 07:22:59 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

In the last few days FTTC on the Aldershot exchange has slipped from July
1st to Sept 30th having already slipped from June.

I'm reluctant to go to BT I was sort of looking at
Plusnet.

BT own Plusnet
--

This is true but is a complete red herring. PN is run as a separate entity
from BT.

Oh agreed, all I was doing was pointing out the ownership of Plusnet
to the OP, who may have been ignorant of the fact. Depending on his
reason for wishing to avoid taking service with BT - dislike of the
company or experience of poor service in the past - such info may have
influenced the OP

Old June 20th 11, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Peter" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 07:22:59 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

In the last few days FTTC on the Aldershot exchange has slipped from
July
1st to Sept 30th having already slipped from June.

I'm reluctant to go to BT I was sort of looking at
Plusnet.

BT own Plusnet
--

This is true but is a complete red herring. PN is run as a separate
entity
from BT.

Oh agreed, all I was doing was pointing out the ownership of Plusnet
to the OP, who may have been ignorant of the fact. Depending on his
reason for wishing to avoid taking service with BT - dislike of the
company or experience of poor service in the past - such info may have
influenced the OP

I don't have any particular general view either way but some people's
obsessive overall hatred of BT is not rational. I don't like their, or
anyone else's foreign call centres but the engineers and jointers who worked
flat out for three days replacing the stolen underground cables deserved
masses of praise. As for Plusnet they have served me well though there have
been the occasional lapse.

Peter Crosland

Old June 20th 11, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

[...]

BT is a curates egg. Wholesale and Openreach are pure gems. And make
mots of the profit. BT reiatl is an abomination and should be euthanased.
Old June 20th 11, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

SNIP

BT is a curates egg. Wholesale and Openreach are pure gems. And make mots
of the profit. BT reiatl is an abomination and should be euthanased.

BT is not that good. The only reason I stay with them [at all] is living on
a private road, cable can't pass and any other provider would mean dealing
with them at arm's length. OTOH two mega mess ups in the last few years
have resulted in two numbers being ported off to Voipfone.