Plus Net Binary News Servers SUCK bigtime.

Old June 21st 11, 01:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

Default Plus Net Binary News Servers SUCK bigtime.

On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 11:13:38 +0100, Adrian C
wrote:

On 18/06/2011 23:45, Alex Heney wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 11:47:22 +0100, Adrian
wrote:

On 17/06/2011 11:34, NCO wrote:

In addition, downloading may be copying, but the transfer (copying) is initiated
by the sender, not the receiver so the receiver is not liable.

Still knowingly handling stolen goods though, forget about what's
written in law - it's still wrong ...

There are no "stolen goods" to be handled.

Ah...

Although some people would like it to be,

I would.

copyright infringement is
NOT theft.

The law needs changing to be more clear if you are reading it that way.

It is quite clear. You may disagree with the law, and morally, you may
have a point.

But according to the law as it stands, copyright infringement is quite
clearly not theft.

And infringing copies are NOT "stolen goods".

I certainly differ on that on a moral viewpoint. It's denying a
legitmate sale.

Morally, maybe.

But in law, definitely not.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the War Room!
Old June 21st 11, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

wrote:

On 17/06/2011 11:34, NCO wrote:

In addition, downloading may be copying, but the transfer (copying) is initiated
by the sender, not the receiver so the receiver is not liable.

Still knowingly handling stolen goods though, forget about what's
written in law - it's still wrong ...

There are no "stolen goods" to be handled.

Ah...

Although some people would like it to be,

I would.

copyright infringement is
NOT theft.

The law needs changing to be more clear if you are reading it that way.

It is quite clear. You may disagree with the law, and morally, you may
have a point.

But according to the law as it stands, copyright infringement is quite
clearly not theft.

Personally I think it is the media companies that are promoting the
myth that copyright infringement is theft. I'm sure we've all seen
the "You wouldn't steal a car" advert on the beginning of lots of
DVDs. It may even say that copying disks is a crime, I don't recall.

And infringing copies are NOT "stolen goods".

I certainly differ on that on a moral viewpoint. It's denying a
legitmate sale.

Morally, maybe.

But in law, definitely not.

I think it is wrong to assume that a download is a loss of a sale. I
would assert that many people would not buy it even if they had not
downloaded it. And then there are many people who download and then
go on to buy more.
--
(\__/) M.