Wireless doorbell & BT Homehub

Old June 21st 11, 11:21 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Allan

Default Wireless doorbell & BT Homehub

Sister has had BT Homehub for a while and seems to work fine.

She recently purchased a Wireless doorbell (Byron SX-14
http://www.chbyron.eu/ ) for various reasons, and it seems to be
interfering with the Homehub's connection (the lights go from
normal/blue to brown/flashing/disconnected/reconnecting), so the Homehub
looses the connection to the net. (This is completely separate from any
issues that her laptop might have with the wireless connection to the
router).

Apart from changing the Homehub (which is slightly draconian, but could
happen in the future, but not immediately), does anyone have any
suggestions on how to ensure the Homehub doesn't loose the connection.

TIA

Allan
Old June 21st 11, 11:41 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan

On Jun 21, 10:21*am, Allan wrote:
Sister has had BT Homehub for a while and seems to work fine.

She recently purchased a Wireless doorbell (Byron SX-14http://www.chbyron..eu/) for various reasons, and it seems to be
interfering with the Homehub's connection (the lights go from
normal/blue to brown/flashing/disconnected/reconnecting), so the Homehub
looses the connection to the net. *(This is completely separate from any
issues that her laptop might have with the wireless connection to the
router).

Apart from changing the Homehub (which is slightly draconian, but could
happen in the future, but not immediately), does anyone have any
suggestions on how to ensure the Homehub doesn't loose the connection.

TIA

Allan

Try changing the frequency used by one or the other. It sounds as
though the doorbell radio is interfering with the router.

Jonathan
Old June 21st 11, 12:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
airsmoothed

On Jun 21, 10:21*am, Allan wrote:
Sister has had BT Homehub for a while and seems to work fine.

She recently purchased a Wireless doorbell (Byron SX-14http://www.chbyron..eu/) for various reasons, and it seems to be
interfering with the Homehub's connection (the lights go from
normal/blue to brown/flashing/disconnected/reconnecting), so the Homehub
looses the connection to the net. *(This is completely separate from any
issues that her laptop might have with the wireless connection to the
router).

Apart from changing the Homehub (which is slightly draconian, but could
happen in the future, but not immediately), does anyone have any
suggestions on how to ensure the Homehub doesn't loose the connection.

TIA

Allan

If I'm reading this right then the problem is the ADSL link not the
wireless, is it possible to increase the physical distance between the
doorbell unit and the Homehub, are they connected to the same mains
socket, if so try moving one of them to a different socket, just in
case the problem is conducted rather than radiated.
Old June 21st 11, 02:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
robgraham

On Jun 21, 11:08*am, airsmoothed wrote:
On Jun 21, 10:21*am, Allan wrote:

[...]

That would be my diagnosis too, with the further puzzle that that bell
looks somewhat similar to the Byron one I have and it is battery
driven. Also my Homehub is about 3m from the door bell and less than
a metre from the bell (yes, mine's a bell - can't stand these chimes
things which seem really chav to me!). I certainly don't get any
problems.

If this doorbell is anything like mine it has a selection of channels
and I would try changing those first. As this doesn't seem to be a
commonly reported problem then it's time to change either the bell or
the router and as it is recently purchased then I would get the bell
changed as perhaps it's radiating at a frequency it shouldn't and
somehow getting to the router.
Old June 21st 11, 02:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Inman

On Jun 21, 10:21*am, Allan wrote:

[...]

D'oh brain fade, the doorbell will be battery operated won't it! So no
chance of mains borne problems then, back to increasing RF isolation
between doorbell RF transmitter and Homehub/ ADSL wiring. How close is
the doorbell transmitter to the ADSL phone socket?

Old June 21st 11, 05:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"Allan" wrote in message ...
Sister has had BT Homehub for a while and seems to work fine.

She recently purchased a Wireless doorbell (Byron SX-14 http://www.chbyron.eu/ ) for various reasons, and it seems to be
interfering with the Homehub's connection (the lights go from normal/blue to brown/flashing/disconnected/reconnecting), so the
Homehub looses the connection to the net. (This is completely separate from any issues that her laptop might have with the
wireless connection to the router).

Apart from changing the Homehub (which is slightly draconian, but could happen in the future, but not immediately), does anyone
have any suggestions on how to ensure the Homehub doesn't loose the connection.

TIA

Allan

Actually it's very surprising indeed that a wireless doorbell operating at hundreds
of megahertz is interfering with ADSL which occupies a band from a few tens of
kilohertz up to less than 2,000 kilohertz

Take nothing for granted. Is it the transmitter (bellpush) that is causing the interference,
or the receiver (bell unit)? take the battery out of the latter, and operate the former to test.

Can you post the make/model of the doorbell so I can perhaps see the frequencies and technologies
involved?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 21st 11, 05:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
robgraham

On Jun 21, 4:18*pm, "Graham." wrote:
"Allan" wrote in ...
[...]

Tut, tut, Graham, try reading the original post for the bell type !
Not such a profound observer, are you? (couldn't resist that)
Old June 21st 11, 10:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
robert

On 21/06/2011 10:21, Allan wrote:
Sister has had BT Homehub for a while and seems to work fine.

She recently purchased a Wireless doorbell (Byron SX-14
http://www.chbyron.eu/ ) for various reasons, and it seems to be
interfering with the Homehub's connection (the lights go from
normal/blue to brown/flashing/disconnected/reconnecting), so the Homehub
looses the connection to the net. (This is completely separate from any
issues that her laptop might have with the wireless connection to the
router).

Apart from changing the Homehub (which is slightly draconian, but could
happen in the future, but not immediately), does anyone have any
suggestions on how to ensure the Homehub doesn't loose the connection.

TIA

Allan

Disconnecting the orange wire on pin 3 of the telephone sockets ( which
is only used on old phones for a ring signal) can reduce interference
being fed into the phone wiring.
see:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

for good instructions and explanations.

Given the interference appears to be rf and affecting the adsl signal on
the phone line this would seem a sensible approach.
Old June 21st 11, 11:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"robert" wrote in message ...
[...]

That's true, but I very much doubt the 433Mhz bell-push in this case is causing the interference.

http://media.chbyron.eu/file/pdf/SX1...structions.pdf
I half expected for the bell to be an electromechanical one acting as a spark transmitter but
no such luck ;-)

I still instinctively suspect that the cause will be the mains powered receiver, rather than the transmitter
button. Perhaps the OP could unplug it and see if pressing the button still causes the problem.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old June 22nd 11, 12:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 22:41:12 +0100, Graham. wrote:

That's true, but I very much doubt the 433Mhz bell-push in this case is
causing the interference.

I'd agree with that 433MHz way above the highest of the ADSL
frequencies by a factor of 200 odd...

http://media.chbyron.eu/file/pdf/SX1...-IS_-15-01-09_
instructions.pdf
I half expected for the bell to be an electromechanical one acting as a
spark transmitter but no such luck ;-)

That is what I was expecting as well but it's a electronic toney
thing. It does have flashing light though... What is making that
light flash? What sort of light is it, xenon flash tube, LED,
incandescant?

Along with the test of trying the bell push with the RX unplugged
(just to make sure the 433MHz isn't a problem). Also try with the
flashy light set to be on and set to be off.

--
Cheers
Dave.