Slow download speed on PlusNet connection

Old June 22nd 11, 05:35 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Default Slow download speed on PlusNet connection

I have had a PlusNet broadband connection at my holiday flat for just
over a year, and have never achieved a download speed of more than
3.1Mbps despite the line synching at 7.6M and despite the profile being 6.5M

Anyone care to suggest what's happening?

You can see the BT speed test result at
http://www.mills37.plus.com/BT_Speed_Test_Result.JPG - but PlusNet's and
Thinkbroadband's tests give the same result.

You can see the router stats (Thomson jobbie, supplied by PlusNet) at
http://www.mills37.plus.com/Router_Stats.JPG (taken shortly after a re-boot)

The router is left switched on and connected all the time - whether I'm
there or not.

I'll be grateful for any pointers.

--
Cheers,
Roger Mills
Old June 22nd 11, 08:33 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Toby

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
o.uk...
I have had a PlusNet broadband connection at my holiday flat for just over
a year, and have never achieved a download speed of more than 3.1Mbps
despite the line synching at 7.6M and despite the profile being 6.5M

Anyone care to suggest what's happening?

You can see the BT speed test result at
http://www.mills37.plus.com/BT_Speed_Test_Result.JPG - but PlusNet's and
Thinkbroadband's tests give the same result.

You can see the router stats (Thomson jobbie, supplied by PlusNet) at
http://www.mills37.plus.com/Router_Stats.JPG (taken shortly after a
re-boot)

The router is left switched on and connected all the time - whether I'm
there or not.

I'll be grateful for any pointers.

Download this and give it a try....
http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe
It has worked wonders on many PCs that I've fiddled with.

[( Make a Restore Point and Registry Backup before you start. )]

Set the slider to the speed that your line is (allegedly) capable of -
probably Up To 10Megs.
Click Modify All Network Adapters (half way down the left side). Then
choose the Optimal button at the bottom.. and Apply Changes. You will then
need to reboot for it to take effect.

You can like to have a fiddle with fine tuning AFTER you've read up on the
program - but DON'T switch over to PPPoE. You may also like to try a modem
reboot before 7am one morning - leave modem off for around 60 seconds.

..

Old June 22nd 11, 09:03 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Roger Mills wrote:

I have had a PlusNet broadband connection at my holiday flat for just
over a year, and have never achieved a download speed of more than
3.1Mbps despite the line synching at 7.6M and despite the profile being
6.5M

Wired or wireless connection to router?

Is it just one PC that gives that speed, or do several reproduce similar
speeds?

Old June 22nd 11, 11:29 PM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 22/06/2011 21:03, Andy Burns wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

I have had a PlusNet broadband connection at my holiday flat for just
over a year, and have never achieved a download speed of more than
3.1Mbps despite the line synching at 7.6M and despite the profile being
6.5M

Wired or wireless connection to router?

Is it just one PC that gives that speed, or do several reproduce similar
speeds?

It *was* wireless, but I've just connected a cable instead and it makes
no difference - both the same and *worse* than before - now about 2.6,
but it is probably a busy time (10:45pm) for contention. This is my main
PC, running Windows 7.

Another PC, running Windows XP and connected wirelessly) returns the
same speed.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old June 23rd 11, 12:11 AM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Toby

I have had a PlusNet broadband connection at my holiday flat for just
over a year, and have never achieved a download speed of more than
3.1Mbps despite the line synching at 7.6M and despite the profile being
6.5M

Wired or wireless connection to router?

Is it just one PC that gives that speed, or do several reproduce similar
speeds?

It *was* wireless, but I've just connected a cable instead and it makes no
difference - both the same and *worse* than before - now about 2.6, but it
is probably a busy time (10:45pm) for contention. This is my main PC,
running Windows 7.

Another PC, running Windows XP and connected wirelessly) returns the same
speed.

Well that rules out a badly set up PC.

I'm guessing you've done the usual checks of plugging the modem directly
into the master socket behind the BT faceplate - and testing with two
different filters, with no other phones/filters plugged in anywhere in the
home, etc. etc..! No Number 3 wires connected anywhere (just 2 and 5).
Deactivating the modem's wireless capabilities during a test as well... just
in case a near neighbour is hogging you traffic..!

Try running a test on http://www.speedtest.net/ and see how smooth the Green
Graph is during the download test.

Also.... you haven't got a huge Upload Speed by any chance have you?

..

Old June 23rd 11, 09:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob L

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 17:35:43 +0100, Roger Mills
wrote:

I have had a PlusNet broadband connection at my holiday flat for just
over a year, and have never achieved a download speed of more than
3.1Mbps despite the line synching at 7.6M and despite the profile being 6.5M

Anyone care to suggest what's happening?

You can see the BT speed test result at
http://www.mills37.plus.com/BT_Speed_Test_Result.JPG - but PlusNet's and
Thinkbroadband's tests give the same result.

You can see the router stats (Thomson jobbie, supplied by PlusNet) at
http://www.mills37.plus.com/Router_Stats.JPG (taken shortly after a re-boot)

The router is left switched on and connected all the time - whether I'm
there or not.

I'll be grateful for any pointers.

Best test using ethernet cable and safemode with networking, that way
your computer will not have all the extra crap which gets loaded in
normal use. If you get much better speads then you need to look at
what is being loaded etc.

One thing I have noticed is that if you are using avast and have their
weblink thingy active that can slow your speed tests down depending on
which testers you use.
Old June 23rd 11, 11:07 AM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 23/06/2011 00:11, Toby wrote:
[...]

Can't do that at the moment 'cos I've got an old-style master socket
without a removable faceplate. But I did blag a new-type socket from an
Openreach technician who was here yesterday - so I'll change that in due
course - though not immediately 'cos my krone tool is currently elsewhere.

- and testing with two
different filters, with no other phones/filters plugged in anywhere in the
home, etc. etc..!

Yes, done that

No Number 3 wires connected anywhere (just 2 and 5).

Correct. The ADSL filter provides the ring capacitor, where needed

Deactivating the modem's wireless capabilities during a test as well... just
in case a near neighbour is hogging you traffic..!

Haven't done that, but inSSIDer says I've got channel 6 (+/-2) to myself

Try running a test on http://www.speedtest.net/ and see how smooth the Green
Graph is during the download test.

That reports 3.3 - and the green bar moves at a more or less uniform
speed in little steps

Also.... you haven't got a huge Upload Speed by any chance have you?

No, that's 0.37

--
Cheers,
Roger

Old June 23rd 11, 11:19 AM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 22/06/2011 17:35, Roger Mills wrote:
I have had a PlusNet broadband connection at my holiday flat for just
over a year, and have never achieved a download speed of more than
3.1Mbps despite the line synching at 7.6M and despite the profile being
6.5M

Anyone care to suggest what's happening?

You can see the BT speed test result at
http://www.mills37.plus.com/BT_Speed_Test_Result.JPG - but PlusNet's and
Thinkbroadband's tests give the same result.

You can see the router stats (Thomson jobbie, supplied by PlusNet) at
http://www.mills37.plus.com/Router_Stats.JPG (taken shortly after a
re-boot)

The router is left switched on and connected all the time - whether I'm
there or not.

I'll be grateful for any pointers.

Can you provide the username to the account Roger, or the reference from
a recent support ticket?

Old June 23rd 11, 11:26 AM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 23/06/2011 11:19, Plusnet Support Team wrote:
[...]

Hi Bob,
No recent tickets - but the user name is elcombes

--
Cheers,
Roger
Old June 23rd 11, 11:31 AM posted to plusnet.service.customer-feedback,uk.telecom.broadband
Toby

On 23/06/2011 00:11, Toby wrote:
[...]

Just wondered because I elected to have my upload speed increased and lost 4
Megs of download speed. But I've got a fast download so it's OK for me.

..