Leased line internet

Old June 25th 11, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paulg0

Default Leased line internet

I am looking to get a leased line connection for our business (arount 50Mb)
in Central London on Faraday exchange. I have had several quotes so far all
of which are expensive as expected.

Does anyone have any experience of Managed Communications Ltd? They have
provided a competitive quote but I am unable to find much information about
them or the quality of their service...

One other thing. In our building basement there is a very old disused (or
never connected) Mercury Communications fibre. Is it likely that this could
be revived by one of the ISP's that use the Cable and Wireless network or is
this fibre likely to be long dead and cut off permanently outside the
building?

Paul

Old June 25th 11, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Paulg0 wrote:
I am looking to get a leased line connection for our business (arount
50Mb) in Central London on Faraday exchange. I have had several quotes
so far all of which are expensive as expected.

Does anyone have any experience of Managed Communications Ltd? They have
provided a competitive quote but I am unable to find much information
about them or the quality of their service...

Been out of this game too long to be useful on commercial contacts.
MIGHT be worth your while getting fiber backhaul separately from ISP.

One other thing. In our building basement there is a very old disused
(or never connected) Mercury Communications fibre. Is it likely that
this could be revived by one of the ISP's that use the Cable and
Wireless network or is this fibre likely to be long dead and cut off
permanently outside the building?

That is worth looking into for sure. The question is where does it go...

Paul

Old June 25th 11, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paulg0

Been out of this game too long to be useful on commercial contacts. MIGHT
be worth your while getting fiber backhaul separately from ISP.

One other thing. In our building basement there is a very old disused (or
never connected) Mercury Communications fibre. Is it likely that this
could be revived by one of the ISP's that use the Cable and Wireless
network or is this fibre likely to be long dead and cut off permanently
outside the building?

That is worth looking into for sure. The question is where does it go...

I don't have any clues about the existing fibre really. I know that back in
the 80's? when Mercury came about there was a Mercury PBX in the building.
The fibre comes into the basement and just ends up as to capped orange
fibres clipped along the wall and then coiled up neatly. There are no traces
of any further cabling from that point so either the equipment was all
removed at a later date or was never used.....

We do have an ADSL broadband connection with Vivaciti who use the Cable &
Wireless network so they may be able to come up with some more information.
Will investigate on Monday.

Paul

Paul

Old June 26th 11, 02:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

"Paulg0" considered Sat, 25 Jun 2011
12:42:56 +0100 the perfect time to write:

[...]

It could have been a lan link between two buildings, in which case the
other end will probably look exactly the same.
I had one like that installed by COLT for the Post Office, which
formed part of a 16Mb token ring.
Nowadays you'd probably run gigabit ethernet through the same fibres
(and at the same cost, since it was installed as "dark fibre").

Old June 26th 11, 04:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Phil W Lee wrote:
[...]

I think not.
What is WAS is most probably a multi channel ISDN feed serving a large
PABX, and it would have terminated back at Mercury HQ, if it was their
actual fibre, or if they had used BT fibre, at the nearest BT fibre POP.

Unless its in London central, its likely to be BT backhaul.
And may be reusable.

Old June 26th 11, 08:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Paulg0 wrote:
I am looking to get a leased line connection for our business (arount
50Mb) in Central London on Faraday exchange. I have had several quotes
so far all of which are expensive as expected.

Does anyone have any experience of Managed Communications Ltd? They have
provided a competitive quote but I am unable to find much information
about them or the quality of their service...

Been out of this game too long to be useful on commercial contacts.
MIGHT be worth your while getting fiber backhaul separately from ISP.

Probably not these days. It's just too much hassle getting the endpoints
right.

For a 50Mb/sec connection, you'll want a 100Mb bearer and an ISP who
can throttle it to 50Mb/sec. but check the prices. Use AAISP as a
benchmark (of the best of the best) and take it from there.
http://clueless.aa.net.uk/etherquote.cgi

The last 10Mb line I installed (not from AAISP) is costing my client
about 500 a month, but they're nowhere near London! It generally gets
more expensive the further you are away from an urban environment.

Rememer what you're getting with a leased line is vastly superior to
DSL broadband - 1:1 contention (or should be with a good ISP), 5ms
ping times and symetrical speeds.

Gordon
Old June 26th 11, 09:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paulg0

Unless its in London central, its likely to be BT backhaul.
And may be reusable.

It is Central London (EC4) comes in from the street via Mercury branded
ducts (covers anyway)

I will investigate this week and report back with findings.

Thanks for the help everyone

Paul

Old June 29th 11, 06:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

The Natural Philosopher pretended :
Unless its in London central, its likely to be BT backhaul.
And may be reusable.

Whether re-useable or not, it won't save the EU any installation fee,
other than any Excess Construction charges.

Old June 29th 11, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Jono wrote:
The Natural Philosopher pretended :
Unless its in London central, its likely to be BT backhaul.
And may be reusable.

Whether re-useable or not, it won't save the EU any installation fee,
other than any Excess Construction charges.

Is that so? Used to be it saved about 3 grand fibre installation charges.