Help wanted with DG834GT IP problem

Old June 26th 11, 11:32 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

Default Help wanted with DG834GT IP problem

Having finally managed to get my Sky badged DG834GT running with the DGT
team revision 1018 firmware. I have found a problem that only seems to be
soluble by rebooting the router. I would appreciate any constructive
suggestions as to why this happens and how to overcome it. Details below.

I run my desktop with a fixed IP that is within the default router IP
address range and point to it as the default gateway. The DNS servers are
also specified. My ISP (Plusnet) has given me a fixed IP address that I have
set the outer to use. When I turn the desktop on in the morning it fails to
communicate with the router. Repairing the connection makes no difference.
As soon as I have rebooted the router all is well. I can turn the desktop
off for short periods during the day and it then connects as soon as it is
turned on again.

When using my trusty 2Wire 2700HG there is no problem. I have also tried
setting the desktop to get an IP address from the router but this does not
work either.

Usually in this sort of situation I find I have ignored the obvious. Can
anyone tell me where I am going wrong? TIA

Peter Crosland

Old June 26th 11, 12:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Sam

Peter Crosland writes:
Having finally managed to get my Sky badged DG834GT running with the DGT
team revision 1018 firmware. I have found a problem that only seems to be
soluble by rebooting the router. I would appreciate any constructive
suggestions as to why this happens and how to overcome it. Details below.

Disassemble the router, look at the state of the capacitors. After 3
years or so stometimes less, they often start bulging - the cap near the
ethernet ports is among the first to degrade.

You will need a suitably sized Torx screwdriver.
Old June 26th 11, 02:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

"Sam" wrote in message
Peter Crosland writes:
Having finally managed to get my Sky badged DG834GT running with the DGT
team revision 1018 firmware. I have found a problem that only seems to be
soluble by rebooting the router. I would appreciate any constructive
suggestions as to why this happens and how to overcome it. Details below.

Disassemble the router, look at the state of the capacitors. After 3
years or so stometimes less, they often start bulging - the cap near the
ethernet ports is among the first to degrade.

You will need a suitably sized Torx screwdriver.

Thanks for that suggestion. I am not sure why a degrading capacitor should
cause the problem I am encountering. The router is running 24/7 and attached
via the same network port to a switch that serves the desktop along with
another machine that runs 24/7. The 24/7 machine happily runs without any
need to reboot.

Peter Crosland

Old June 28th 11, 10:30 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
James Egan

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 11:32:18 +0100, "Peter Crosland"
wrote:

I run my desktop with a fixed IP that is within the default router IP
address range and point to it as the default gateway. The DNS servers are
also specified. My ISP (Plusnet) has given me a fixed IP address that I have
set the outer to use. When I turn the desktop on in the morning it fails to
communicate with the router. Repairing the connection makes no difference.
As soon as I have rebooted the router all is well. I can turn the desktop
off for short periods during the day and it then connects as soon as it is
turned on again.

The static ip needs to be outside the dhcp pool range of the router
but within the same subnet.

It may be the case when you turn on the desktop that the router has
already allocated that specific ip address to something else.

Rather than using a static address perhaps you might try setting up a
reservation in the router so that you get an ip address from the
router by dhcp but it's always the same one.

Jim
Old June 28th 11, 02:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that James. I did wonder about that. I will give it a try.

Peter Crosland