Help please wanted setting up DG Team by telnet

Old June 27th 11, 08:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Peter Crosland

Default Help please wanted setting up DG Team by telnet

I have to say that command line setup has always been a minefield as far as
I am concerned. I always end up screwing the whole thing up. Despite have
Googled extensively I am still not confident that I understand the format
for the commands to manually set the ADSL line SNR and line speed. So please
can some kind soul take pity on me and tell me.

Assuming I am at the # prompt having telnetted to the DG834GT exactly what
do I need to type to set the line SNR to 6dB? Do I need to set anything else
or will the link decide for itself what sync speed to use? I want a sync
speed of 3750. I have chosen these two figures as I know the lien will
support them. Assuming I have set debug mode will the settings survive
turning the router off or rebooting?

A huge TIA!

Peter Crosland

Old June 28th 11, 11:51 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 19:06:58 +0100
"Peter Crosland" wrote:

I have to say that command line setup has always been a minefield as
far as I am concerned. I always end up screwing the whole thing up.
Despite have Googled extensively I am still not confident that I
understand the format for the commands to manually set the ADSL line
SNR and line speed. So please can some kind soul take pity on me and
tell me.

I Googled, I get it (I think).
You can't set the SNR - it's an inherent characteristic of your phone
line and equipment. What you /can/ set is the "target SNR margin",
which is used in negotiating the speed of a variable rate connection
to reduce the chance that variations in line noise will lead to loss of
synch i.e. it's a safety margin - reduce it and you'll likely get a
faster connection that's more likely to break.

Assuming I am at the # prompt having telnetted to the DG834GT exactly
what do I need to type to set the line SNR to 6dB? Do I need to set
anything else or will the link decide for itself what sync speed to
use? I want a sync speed of 3750. I have chosen these two figures as
I know the lien will support them.
Assuming I have set debug mode
will the settings survive turning the router off or rebooting?

According to http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/dg834GT_targetsnr.htm it's a
relative setting i.e. you can increase or decrease the current value
rather than setting an absolute value. Presumably the current value is
"learned" and you can only re-educate it, if connection fails at your
suggested setting it will reset to a more appropriate value anyway.
So, the website says this command will decrease the value by 3dB
adslctl configure --snr 50
and this will increase it by 3dB
adslctl configure --snr 150
but also according to that page +6dB is the default setting anyway,
which suggests to me that your modem has decided to change it because
the line is too noisy.
This setting is not saved after a reboot. (Unless you are using DGTeam
Firmware).