Decent RJ45 wallplates?

Old June 29th 11, 11:20 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

Default Decent RJ45 wallplates?

Hi,

Currently fitting out a house with multiple twin LAN sockets around, and
in the past have been plagued with cheap sockets using an integrated
keystone jack module, where the module part randomly detaches itself
from faceplate and descends into the back box. Pain in the neck to
withdraw network cables once that happens :-(

Come to the conclusion that the standard office faire from CPC and all,
has no place in a home. Any hints on better designs, or do I have to
resort to hot melt gluing the module in first?

--
Adrian C
Old June 29th 11, 12:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.d-i-y
fred

In article , Adrian C
writes
Hi,

Currently fitting out a house with multiple twin LAN sockets around, and
in the past have been plagued with cheap sockets using an integrated
keystone jack module, where the module part randomly detaches itself
from faceplate and descends into the back box. Pain in the neck to
withdraw network cables once that happens :-(

Come to the conclusion that the standard office faire from CPC and all,
has no place in a home. Any hints on better designs, or do I have to
resort to hot melt gluing the module in first?

I've always used Euromod faceplates and modules, modules fit from the
front[1] so no popping off the back, 2 per single plate, 4 per double.

My local supplier has just gone bust so don't know where is best but CPC
do them too although the range looks lighter than I'm used to (branded
Molex but Euromod is buried deep in the further description. If they
don't make a purpose made module then I've drilled a blank for
connectors then used that, works well. RS do them too.

[1] Can be pushed through from the back at an angle to get clearance
then clipped in place at front so each module can be wired separately
then placed if that is what you want.
--
fred
Old June 29th 11, 12:53 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.d-i-y
Rick Hughes

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Hi,

Currently fitting out a house with multiple twin LAN sockets around, and
in the past have been plagued with cheap sockets using an integrated
keystone jack module, where the module part randomly detaches itself from
faceplate and descends into the back box. Pain in the neck to withdraw
network cables once that happens :-(

Come to the conclusion that the standard office faire from CPC and all,
has no place in a home. Any hints on better designs, or do I have to
resort to hot melt gluing the module in first?

I used modular MK ones throughout my build ... quality is very good.
The modular system allowed me to mix RJ45 and F-type
For latter I used blanking plates and drilled hole for F-Type bulkhead
fittings

Old June 29th 11, 01:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Adrian C wrote:
Hi,

Currently fitting out a house with multiple twin LAN sockets around, and
in the past have been plagued with cheap sockets using an integrated
keystone jack module, where the module part randomly detaches itself
from faceplate and descends into the back box. Pain in the neck to
withdraw network cables once that happens :-(

Come to the conclusion that the standard office faire from CPC and all,
has no place in a home. Any hints on better designs, or do I have to
resort to hot melt gluing the module in first?

Ideally, you'd want to match the other sockets etc in that room.
I'm using this range these days and find them pretty good.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KNRJ2BBW.html

--
*A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old June 29th 11, 03:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Adrian C wrote:
Hi,

Currently fitting out a house with multiple twin LAN sockets around, and
in the past have been plagued with cheap sockets using an integrated
keystone jack module, where the module part randomly detaches itself
from faceplate and descends into the back box. Pain in the neck to
withdraw network cables once that happens :-(

Come to the conclusion that the standard office faire from CPC and all,
has no place in a home. Any hints on better designs, or do I have to
resort to hot melt gluing the module in first?

Ideally, you'd want to match the other sockets etc in that room.
I'm using this range these days and find them pretty good.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KNRJ2BBW.html

Ive got some fancy brass ones somewhere..bags to choose from.

Old June 29th 11, 05:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.d-i-y
Ron Lowe

On 29/06/2011 11:20, Adrian C wrote:
Hi,

Currently fitting out a house with multiple twin LAN sockets around, and
in the past have been plagued with cheap sockets using an integrated
keystone jack module, where the module part randomly detaches itself
from faceplate and descends into the back box. Pain in the neck to
withdraw network cables once that happens :-(

Come to the conclusion that the standard office faire from CPC and all,
has no place in a home. Any hints on better designs, or do I have to
resort to hot melt gluing the module in first?

The best I've uses are made by Systimax, but they don't seem to be
generally available to the public. They are used by many of the
high-end ^H^H^H cost pro installers in big corporate installs.

The best source for them is, er, 'leftovers' during an office fit-out.

If you can't stumble upon any this way yourself, then e-bay often has
such 'leftovers' being flogged by the installer employees themselves.

--
Ron

Old June 29th 11, 07:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.d-i-y
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Dave Plowman (News)
escribió:

Ideally, you'd want to match the other sockets etc in that room.
I'm using this range these days and find them pretty good.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KNRJ2BBW.html

They're nice, but I've got better things to spend 9 quid on, like beer.
I got 5 dual Cat6 faceplates from kenable.co.uk for 14 quid delivered
and they are fine.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Old June 29th 11, 10:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.d-i-y
Chris Bartram

On 29/06/11 11:20, Adrian C wrote:
Hi,

Currently fitting out a house with multiple twin LAN sockets around, and
in the past have been plagued with cheap sockets using an integrated
keystone jack module, where the module part randomly detaches itself
from faceplate and descends into the back box. Pain in the neck to
withdraw network cables once that happens :-(

Come to the conclusion that the standard office faire from CPC and all,
has no place in a home. Any hints on better designs, or do I have to
resort to hot melt gluing the module in first?

Brand-Rex stuff is top-notch IMO.
Old June 30th 11, 01:22 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 13:06:49 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Adrian C wrote:
Hi,

Currently fitting out a house with multiple twin LAN sockets around, and
in the past have been plagued with cheap sockets using an integrated
keystone jack module, where the module part randomly detaches itself
from faceplate and descends into the back box. Pain in the neck to
withdraw network cables once that happens :-(

Come to the conclusion that the standard office faire from CPC and all,
has no place in a home. Any hints on better designs, or do I have to
resort to hot melt gluing the module in first?

Ideally, you'd want to match the other sockets etc in that room.

Why's that?

--
Frank Erskine
Old June 30th 11, 08:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.d-i-y
Mike Scott

On 29/06/11 19:30, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el , Dave Plowman (News)
escribió:

Ideally, you'd want to match the other sockets etc in that room.
I'm using this range these days and find them pretty good.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KNRJ2BBW.html

They're nice, but I've got better things to spend 9 quid on, like beer.
I got 5 dual Cat6 faceplates from kenable.co.uk for 14 quid delivered
and they are fine.

I generally use screwfix's offerings. Never had any bother with them.
Don't know if they do fancy brass though.

--
Mike Scott (unet2 at [deletethis] scottsonline.org.uk)
Harlow Essex England