Migration code frustration

Old July 4th 11, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Default Migration code frustration

Trying to arrange a migration from Talk-Talk, who sent a nice letter with
the migration code. Unfortunately it is written in a font which does not
distinguish the figure Zero from the upper case letter O.

Is there any organisation which sets a standard for such codes? Could they
insist that the 0/O and 1/I confusion cannot occur, perhaps by excluding
the characters O 0 I 1 from migration codes?

--
Graham J

Old July 4th 11, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred

In article , Graham J
[email protected]? writes
Trying to arrange a migration from Talk-Talk, who sent a nice letter with
the migration code. Unfortunately it is written in a font which does not
distinguish the figure Zero from the upper case letter O.

Is there any organisation which sets a standard for such codes? Could they
insist that the 0/O and 1/I confusion cannot occur, perhaps by excluding
the characters O 0 I 1 from migration codes?

Courtesy of Ofcom:

"The MAC - which is valid for a period of 30 days - consists of four
letters beginning with L followed by between seven and nine numbers, a
slash, and five alphanumeric characters (e.g. LAEM1234567/1F6HT)."
--
fred
Old July 5th 11, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 04/07/2011 19:38, fred wrote:

Courtesy of Ofcom:

"The MAC - which is valid for a period of 30 days - consists of four
letters beginning with L followed by between seven and nine numbers, a
slash, and five alphanumeric characters (e.g. LAEM1234567/1F6HT)."

I think if there's an 0, it's always Zero, and a 1 is always the number
One ?

Mind you, you can't win, I wrote down a mobile phone PAC code for a girl
in a phone shop. I'd put a line through a zero to emphasize it was the
digit zero. You can guess what happened next, the girl ignored it,
thinking I had scribbled it out !

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Old July 5th 11, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
On 04/07/2011 19:38, fred wrote:

Courtesy of Ofcom:

"The MAC - which is valid for a period of 30 days - consists of four
letters beginning with L followed by between seven and nine numbers, a
slash, and five alphanumeric characters (e.g. LAEM1234567/1F6HT)."

I think if there's an 0, it's always Zero, and a 1 is always the number
One ?

Mind you, you can't win, I wrote down a mobile phone PAC code for a girl
in a phone shop. I'd put a line through a zero to emphasize it was the
digit zero. You can guess what happened next, the girl ignored it,
thinking I had scribbled it out !

My current issue is where even Talk-Talk themselves cannot distinguish
between cap O and zero !!

First they say: LYEA0361078/JG300
Then: LYEA0361078/JG30O
Then: LYEA0361078/JG3O0

By the time this gets to your newsreader I bet you won't be able to tell the
difference either.

--
Graham J

Old July 5th 11, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred

In article , Graham J
[email protected]? writes

On 04/07/2011 19:38, fred wrote:

[...]

Ah, I was hoping it would have been in one of the unambiguous fields. I
think the last group is the checksum area so it could be any combo of
letters and digits.
--
fred