Hurricane Electric IPv6 tunnels on FTTC ?

Old July 5th 11, 12:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

Default Hurricane Electric IPv6 tunnels on FTTC ?

Hurricane Electric's IPv6 tunnels rely on their being able to ping the
user's router.
Knowing BT, I'm wondering whether they block inbound pings ? I can't
ping the router of a friend of mine who's on Infinity, but I don't
know whether that's the config of his router or not.
Old July 5th 11, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Andrew Benham" wrote in message
Hurricane Electric's IPv6 tunnels rely on their being able to ping the
user's router.
Knowing BT, I'm wondering whether they block inbound pings ? I can't
ping the router of a friend of mine who's on Infinity, but I don't
know whether that's the config of his router or not.

Most routers have a configuration option to allow or not ping from the
internet. But any router supplied by BT might be reconfigured by them
without warning, under the guise of an "upgrade". I think you have to
budget for some support visits.

--
Graham J

Old July 6th 11, 02:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 16:38:45 +0100, Graham J wrote:

"Andrew Benham" wrote in message
Hurricane Electric's IPv6 tunnels rely on their being able to ping the
user's router.
Knowing BT, I'm wondering whether they block inbound pings ? I can't
ping the router of a friend of mine who's on Infinity, but I don't know
whether that's the config of his router or not.

Most routers have a configuration option to allow or not ping from the
internet. But any router supplied by BT might be reconfigured by them
without warning, under the guise of an "upgrade". I think you have to
budget for some support visits.

What you say is true, but my question is whether inbound pings are blocked
upstream. I know Demon used to block incoming pings but then announced
that they were allowing them. And my 3 dongle has a routeable IP address
but can't be pinged from t'internet.

Old July 6th 11, 06:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

[...]

When you've been to the site and checked the router configuration, you will
be able to confirm whether or not the router is blocking pings.

Clearly the ISP might also block inbound ping - and this probably depends on
the ISP. Since most domestic ISP services (and here I include Infinity) say
nothing about their ability to support VPN connections, they are probably
equally silent on whether they block ping.

If your friend requires an IPv6 tunnel then perhaps he should start by
getting his broadband connection from someody who can give satisfactory
answers to such technical questions.

--
Graham J

Old July 6th 11, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Hills

On 05/07/2011 11:59, Andrew Benham wrote:
Hurricane Electric's IPv6 tunnels rely on their being able to ping the
user's router.
Knowing BT, I'm wondering whether they block inbound pings ? I can't
ping the router of a friend of mine who's on Infinity, but I don't
know whether that's the config of his router or not.

If you are unable to allow incoming icmp ping requests, your next option
for a tunnel is with SixXS, using an aiccu tunnel (requires only
outbound tcp/udp and can be used behind nat with no special router
configuration). HE were testing PPTP tunnels for a short period but they
can no longer be used.
Old July 7th 11, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TR

On 05/07/2011 11:59, Andrew Benham wrote:
Hurricane Electric's IPv6 tunnels rely on their being able to ping the
user's router.
Knowing BT, I'm wondering whether they block inbound pings ? I can't
ping the router of a friend of mine who's on Infinity, but I don't
know whether that's the config of his router or not.

You don't need to use BT's router. Any router that supports
PPPoE will do the job no matter what BT say. The only good use
for the BT fibre hub is as a doorstop.