I Read People leaving Be.

Old July 6th 11, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

Default I Read People leaving Be.

I read that people were leaving Be due to them not having a fiber product, I
really am surprised people leaving Be as I'm very happy with the LLU they
get to me via BT copper wire.
(I can see that many other ISPs offer a cheaper service and wonder if that
is why people moving but of course here I read of problems all the time with
these cheaper ISPs.)
So if these people leaving because of no fiber what are they moving to, have
you done this?
Regards
David
PS In my case BT do not appear to be going to change to FTC at my exchange.

Old July 6th 11, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , David wrote:
I read that people were leaving Be due to them not having a fiber product, I
really am surprised people leaving Be as I'm very happy with the LLU they
get to me via BT copper wire.
(I can see that many other ISPs offer a cheaper service and wonder if that
is why people moving but of course here I read of problems all the time with
these cheaper ISPs.)
So if these people leaving because of no fiber what are they moving to, have
you done this?

Why does anybody care whether it uses fibre, copper, or damp knotted string?
Technology should be judged by how well it works, not by inner details that
make no difference. Anybody who wants more fibre should eat All-Bran.

Rod.
--
Virtual Access V6.3 free usenet/email software from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtual-access/

Old July 6th 11, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 06/07/11 10:22, Roderick Stewart wrote:
In , David wrote:
I read that people were leaving Be due to them not having a fiber product, I
really am surprised people leaving Be as I'm very happy with the LLU they
get to me via BT copper wire.
(I can see that many other ISPs offer a cheaper service and wonder if that
is why people moving but of course here I read of problems all the time with
these cheaper ISPs.)
So if these people leaving because of no fiber what are they moving to, have
you done this?

Why does anybody care whether it uses fibre, copper, or damp knotted string?
Technology should be judged by how well it works, not by inner details that
make no difference. Anybody who wants more fibre should eat All-Bran.

It's also a question of 'need'. How many people genuinely /need/ fibre?

I recently upgraded to ADSL2+ (because it was a free upgrade) and I
can't say it's made my internet experience significantly better.
Measured speeds have gone from 4-6Mbps to ~12Mbps.

I'd 'like' to have fibre, but the only justification I could have is
faster uploads and perhaps higher usage caps. The additional cost is
unlikely to make it worthwhile, though.
Old July 6th 11, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 10:01:45 +0100, David wrote:

I read that people were leaving Be due to them not having a fiber
product, I really am surprised people leaving Be as I'm very happy with
the LLU they get to me via BT copper wire.
(I can see that many other ISPs offer a cheaper service and wonder if
that is why people moving but of course here I read of problems all the
time with these cheaper ISPs.)
So if these people leaving because of no fiber what are they moving to,
have you done this?
Regards
David
PS In my case BT do not appear to be going to change to FTC at my
exchange.

I guess it depends (assuming one is on a FTTC-enabled exchange) on how
far one is from the exchange versus how far one is from the PCP cabinet.

I'm currently with Be. I pay for their "up to 20Mb/s" service and
actually get a sync speed of 5Mb/s. My exchange is due to be FTTC-enabled
by the end of September 2011. In the past couple of days it looks like
the base for a FTTC cabinet has been built adjacent to 'my' cabinet.
Other posters on this NG reckon I'll get over 20Mb/s with FTTC. So,
despite how much I love Be, it looks like I'll be leaving soon.

And I don't see that it makes business sense for Be to have a fibre
product. If they go with the BT Wholesale product then Be are just
another "me too" supplier. And I don't think Be can afford the up-front
costs of installing their own cabinets near BT PCP cabinets (or even
closer to me than that :-).

Having said this, I don't care very much whether I get 20Mb/s over copper,
fibre, or damp string. Just 20Mb/s is more useful to me than 5Mb/s.
Old July 6th 11, 02:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Andrew Benham wrote:
[...]

You would be unhappy to get it over satellite I can assure you..delays n
the 1/2 second range make online games unplayable :-)
Old July 6th 11, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 12:45:24 +0000, Andrew Benham wrote:

In the past couple of days
it looks like the base for a FTTC cabinet has been built adjacent to
'my' cabinet.

Cor, popped down the road to take a picture of the base, and in the
meantime someone has plonked a shiny new FTTC cabinet onto it :-)

Surely only a few more days until FTTC is available here...
Wadda yer mean, could be months ?
Old July 6th 11, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 06/07/11 16:49, Andrew Benham wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 12:45:24 +0000, Andrew Benham wrote:

In the past couple of days
it looks like the base for a FTTC cabinet has been built adjacent to
'my' cabinet.

Cor, popped down the road to take a picture of the base, and in the
meantime someone has plonked a shiny new FTTC cabinet onto it :-)

Surely only a few more days until FTTC is available here...
Wadda yer mean, could be months ?

Out of interest. What does an FTTC cabinet look like? And is always a
prerequisite for getting FTTC or can std cabinets be upgraded?
Old July 6th 11, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 17:06:18 +0100, chris wrote:

On 06/07/11 16:49, Andrew Benham wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 12:45:24 +0000, Andrew Benham wrote:

In the past couple of days
it looks like the base for a FTTC cabinet has been built adjacent to
'my' cabinet.

Cor, popped down the road to take a picture of the base, and in the
meantime someone has plonked a shiny new FTTC cabinet onto it :-)

Surely only a few more days until FTTC is available here... Wadda yer
mean, could be months ?

Out of interest. What does an FTTC cabinet look like? And is always a
prerequisite for getting FTTC or can std cabinets be upgraded?

Here's a picture I found:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2677/...c837a1bdc5.jpg

And the contents look like:
http://staging.trefor.net/wp-content.../cabinet-with-
kit_small.jpg

You have to have the extra cabinet for FTTC. The FTTC cabinet
will be located close to the standard copper cabinet (within
50 feet, IIRC).
Old July 6th 11, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 15:49:59 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Benham
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 12:45:24 +0000, Andrew Benham wrote:

In the past couple of days
it looks like the base for a FTTC cabinet has been built adjacent to
'my' cabinet.

Cor, popped down the road to take a picture of the base, and in the
meantime someone has plonked a shiny new FTTC cabinet onto it :-)

Surely only a few more days until FTTC is available here...
Wadda yer mean, could be months ?

My street, in fact the whole town, was fibre connected years ago but I
have never seen the point in using it. My copper connection is alright
for my needs so I'll stick with it.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Planner Software www.NPSL1.com
Old July 6th 11, 05:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 17:06:18 +0100, chris wrote:

On 06/07/11 16:49, Andrew Benham wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 12:45:24 +0000, Andrew Benham wrote:

In the past couple of days
it looks like the base for a FTTC cabinet has been built adjacent to
'my' cabinet.

Cor, popped down the road to take a picture of the base, and in the
meantime someone has plonked a shiny new FTTC cabinet onto it :-)

Surely only a few more days until FTTC is available here... Wadda yer
mean, could be months ?

Out of interest. What does an FTTC cabinet look like? And is always a
prerequisite for getting FTTC or can std cabinets be upgraded?

Or I could just upload my pictu
http://www.adsb.co.uk/tmp/LNWINp9.jpg
Standard copper cabinet on the right. On the grass verge is the new fibre
cabinet, and beyond that the CATV cabinet from Cable London, sorry I mean
Telewest, no I mean NTL, whoops that'll be Virgin Media.