Slightly OT - Think before buying an OCZ SSD (High Failure Rate)

Old July 11th 11, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

Default Slightly OT - Think before buying an OCZ SSD (High Failure Rate)

Theo Markettos wrote:
Hopefully ours being absolutely-dead should speed this process up a bit...

Supplier agreed to swap us out with an Intel by paying the difference in
price. Out of the frying pan...:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07...d_bug_reports/

Theo
Old July 12th 11, 09:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On 11 Jul 2011 21:27:11 +0100 (BST), Theo Markettos
wrote:

Theo Markettos wrote:
Hopefully ours being absolutely-dead should speed this process up a bit...

Supplier agreed to swap us out with an Intel by paying the difference in
price. Out of the frying pan...:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07...d_bug_reports/

Makes me glad I opted for an old fashioned hard disk :-)
--
(\__/) M.

Old July 12th 11, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

wrote:

Supplier agreed to swap us out with an Intel by paying the difference in
price. Out of the frying pan...:

Makes me glad I opted for an old fashioned hard disk :-)

As of today they fitted the new SSD and I now have a RAID1 array between the
Intel SSD and a hard disc. Seems OK, though I'll have to keep an eye on the
performance (not much point if it has to wait for the HD each time).

Theo
Old July 13th 11, 08:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

wrote:

Supplier agreed to swap us out with an Intel by paying the difference in
price. Out of the frying pan...:

Makes me glad I opted for an old fashioned hard disk :-)

As of today they fitted the new SSD and I now have a RAID1 array between the
Intel SSD and a hard disc. Seems OK, though I'll have to keep an eye on the
performance (not much point if it has to wait for the HD each time).

I would assume that you would have to wait for the HD and get no
performance gain.
--
(\__/) M.

Old July 13th 11, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

wrote:

Supplier agreed to swap us out with an Intel by paying the difference
in
price. Out of the frying pan...:

Makes me glad I opted for an old fashioned hard disk :-)

As of today they fitted the new SSD and I now have a RAID1 array between
the
Intel SSD and a hard disc. Seems OK, though I'll have to keep an eye on
the
performance (not much point if it has to wait for the HD each time).

I would assume that you would have to wait for the HD and get no
performance gain.

Surely one of the performance advantages of RAID1 is that data is used from
the first disk to deliver it? Provided that the spindles are not
synchronised there is a potential for an average halving of rotational
latency. There should be no need to wait for data from the second disk
unless the first disk reports an error - in which case performance is
degraded until you have replaced the failing disk and rebuilt the array.

For data writes, the controller must be allowed to cache these, so the
system does not wait for completion of the write to the rotating disk. A
UPS would be vital here. If there are many fewer writes than reads, it does
not matter too much if the system waits for both writes to be completed.

So mirroring SSD with a conventional hard disk sounds like a good idea.

--
Graham J

Old July 13th 11, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 10:01:36 +0100, "Graham J" [email protected] wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

A lot depends on the type of controller you have.
--
(\__/) M.

Old July 13th 11, 04:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

Mark wrote:
A lot depends on the type of controller you have.

This is Linux software RAID: /dev/md
Presumably this doesn't do anything clever regarding write caching?

Theo
Old July 13th 11, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, Theo
Markettos chose the tried and tested strategy of:

This is Linux software RAID: /dev/md
Presumably this doesn't do anything clever regarding write caching?

Nope, that would be left to the upper layers. The write cache is called a
buffer in Linux speak. You can see how much is buffered in 'top'

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:38:31 up 21 days, 21:21, 7 users, load average: 0.36, 1.37, 1.06

Old July 14th 11, 09:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On 13 Jul 2011 16:15:00 +0100 (BST), Theo Markettos
wrote:

Mark wrote:
A lot depends on the type of controller you have.

This is Linux software RAID: /dev/md
Presumably this doesn't do anything clever regarding write caching?

I don't know. I've only tried RAID on identical disks.

You may get some performance benefits on reading but I would doubt you
would on writing.
--
(\__/) M.