Upgrade from ADSL to ADSL2+ - How long?

Old July 13th 11, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default Upgrade from ADSL to ADSL2+ - How long?

BT Broadband on a Linksys WAG325N router, migration from ADSL MAX to
ADSL2+

I got an email from the Retail Migration Team on the 9th to say that our
exchange/network upgrade would be done on the 12th. Today, the 13th,
I've got another email from the Retail Migration Team to say that the
work was completed yesterday as planned and now my broadband speed and
connection should be faster than before, but unfortunately it isn't.

I know that the system can take up to ten days to settle down and become
stable but - and I may well be wrong here - I thought the router sync
speed should increase straight away and then the IP Profile increases
over the 10-day period.

I've rebooted the router a couple of times this morning but it is still
syncing at 8128/448 as it always has done. I also did a speedtest, the
results of which a

Download speed achieved during the test was - 6578 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2000-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

So, am I just being impatient? Should I wait the 10 days before
contacting them? Or am I right in thinking that my sync speed should
have increased straight away and so I should contact them now because
something's not right?

I should perhaps also say that the router has different settings for the
DSL Modulation. It is currently set at MultiMode, which I think means
that it chooses the right setting itself automatically, but I could also
choose from T1.143, G.DMT, G.LITE, ADSL2, ADSL2+ (which I tried but it
doesn't connect) ADSL2 L, ADSL2+ L, ADSL2 M and finally ADSL2+ M.

TIA
Old July 13th 11, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 13/07/11 13:22, John wrote:

[...]

No, you're not impatient. I'd contact them now. At the very least your
sync rate should have changed.

It could be that your router isn't quite as ADSL2+ as you think and
can't cope stably with ADSL2+ as happened to me.
Old July 13th 11, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

In article , says...

On 13/07/11 13:22, John wrote:

[...]

Good point Chris, thanks.
Old July 13th 11, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 13:59:56 +0100, chris wrote:

On 13/07/11 13:22, John wrote:

[...]

Is there a way on the Linksys to see what flavour of modulation it
is currently using ? I know I can find this info on my Netgear.

But if the router/modem won't connect when you manually select ADSL2+
then something isn't right. Either the exchange kit hasn't been
upgraded to ADSL2+, or the Linksys isn't able to select it.
Old July 13th 11, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Andrew Benham wrote:

But if the router/modem won't connect when you manually select ADSL2+
then something isn't right. Either the exchange kit hasn't been
upgraded to ADSL2+, or the Linksys isn't able to select it.

+1.

That is the clearest summary you can probably make.
Old July 13th 11, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

In article , lid
says...

On 13/07/11 13:22, John wrote:

[...]

Yes there is Andrew. Here's what it's currently showing:

Old July 13th 11, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 15:59:06 +0100, John wrote:

[...]

OK. This shows that in MultiMode the router/modem is sync'd with ADSL1,
and that a manual attempt to sync with ADSL2+ fails. Which is essentially
what we already knew, except now we've got proof.
Sounds like it's time to challenge your ISP regarding the supposed
upgrade at your exchange.
Old July 15th 11, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Tomlinson

In article , John
writes

So it seems I may have to renew my contract to get access to ADSL2+
speeds.

SquawkSquawk just bumped me onto ADSL2+, no notification, no warning, no
nothing. One day the router was syncing at 8023, the next at 18800.

Not that I'm complaining.

Old July 15th 11, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 15/07/2011 10:33, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Not that I'm complaining.

You might have if your kit wasn't ADSL2+ compatible