Struggling with unlocked dongle

Old July 19th 11, 12:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lobster

Default Struggling with unlocked dongle

I've had a Huawei E160 dongle on VirginMedia's 5/month deal for some
time; however I use it so seldom it's not worth 60/year to keep it
going, so I've just unlocked it and am cancelling the VM contract, with
a view to sticking any old SIM (including probably overseas ones) in there.

I used to use VM's proprietary software to connect with on my laptop;
however having just stuck an Orange contract SIM in the dongle to test
it out, naturally enough the software doesn't want to know. However,
I'm confused - how would I go about connecting to, say, Orange on my
laptop now? I've come across various web forums talking about APNs and
stuff, but if that's correct where do I enter them?!

Am running Windows XP Home.

Thanks
David
Old July 19th 11, 07:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Lobster formulated on Tuesday :
I've had a Huawei E160 dongle on VirginMedia's 5/month deal for some time;
however I use it so seldom it's not worth 60/year to keep it going, so I've
just unlocked it and am cancelling the VM contract, with a view to sticking
any old SIM (including probably overseas ones) in there.

I used to use VM's proprietary software to connect with on my laptop; however
having just stuck an Orange contract SIM in the dongle to test it out,
naturally enough the software doesn't want to know. However, I'm confused -
how would I go about connecting to, say, Orange on my laptop now? I've come
across various web forums talking about APNs and stuff, but if that's correct
where do I enter them?!

Am running Windows XP Home.

Thanks
David

You create a dialup (DUN) connection using the dongle as a modem and
the APN details as username and password; on vodafone, the "number"
that needs to be dialled is *99# - not sure about Orange

Old July 20th 11, 08:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lobster

On 19/07/2011 07:29, Jono wrote:
[...]

Thanks for this. Am still not there though.

If I try to create a new DUN, I'm asked for a phone number and then
username / password.

Now, Google has provided the following info from several places:

APN: orangeinternet
Username: leave blank
Password: leave blank

So where do I enter "orangeinternet"? - there's nowhere in the dialup
settings for this.

Thanks
David

Old July 20th 11, 08:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Lobster wrote:

where do I enter "orangeinternet"? - there's nowhere in the dialup
settings for this.

The "ATD*99#" that "dials" the data connection can also use an extended
form like "ATD*99***1#" where 1 refers to profile number 1 stored in the
modem.

You can set profile 1 by talking to the modem with hyperterm,
send it the string

AT+CDGCONT=1,"ip","orangeinternet"

or send that (without the "AT") as part of the additional initialisation
string for the modem, which DUN holds on an advanced page somewhere
Old July 20th 11, 08:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Soruk

On 2011-07-20, Lobster wrote:
On 19/07/2011 07:29, Jono wrote:
[...]

It's been a long while since I played with dialup on WinXP, but I think
there's an advanced settings on the modem control, where you can enter
additional AT commands to control the modem.

The one you want is: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","apn","",0,0

The phone number *99# tells the modem to make a GPRS/3G data call.

Cheap International Calls - http://calls.matrixnetwork.co.uk/
Old July 20th 11, 08:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lobster

On 20/07/2011 08:12, Andy Burns wrote:
Lobster wrote:

where do I enter "orangeinternet"? - there's nowhere in the dialup
settings for this.

The "ATD*99#" that "dials" the data connection can also use an extended
form like "ATD*99***1#" where 1 refers to profile number 1 stored in the
modem.

You can set profile 1 by talking to the modem with hyperterm,
send it the string

AT+CDGCONT=1,"ip","orangeinternet"

or send that (without the "AT") as part of the additional initialisation
string for the modem, which DUN holds on an advanced page somewhere

Thanks very much for the advice.

I've finally located the place to enter this stuff - it was in the modem
setup rather than within the DUN!

Still no joy though - keep getting "Error 628" - any ideas? Google still
ain't helping

I think it means I'm at least getting as far as connecting very briefly
to Orange before getting kicked off?

David
Old July 20th 11, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Lobster wrote:

Still no joy though - keep getting "Error 628" - any ideas?
I think it means I'm at least getting as far as connecting very briefly
to Orange before getting kicked off?

Yes, 628 just means you got chopped off

http://indigo.ie/~peterl/KB/detailed-dun.html

Try fiddling with PAP/CHAP auth settings, username/password, PPP
settings etc ...