Help please - downstream speed good but internet access from PC slow.

Old July 23rd 11, 07:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conrad

Default Help please - downstream speed good but internet access from PC slow.

Hi

I have been asked to check out a neighbours PC (18 month old Win 7 ) which
is very slow to d/load e-mail and web pages.
Accessing the router using the same ethernet cable to my Win 7 laptop ( the
router isn't wireless) the down/upstream is
around 8000/450 and a speed checker on my laptop confirms this. Real world
d/loads are fast.
However on the PC with the same router it is painfully slow - minutes to
open a web page.
I have checked the PC for all virii/malware using several different programs
other than the Norton that is already installed.
Disabling the Norton make no difference whatever.

I have swapped ethernet cables, checked and updated the NIC drivers but have
run out of ideas. I think it may be an update causing the problem
but have no idea which it is likely to be. OK, I could back up everthing,
zap the h/d and start afresh but first I'd like to ask if anyone else has
come across this issue.
If it wasn't for the fact my laptop is OK I would have been sure the IP
profile was to blame.
Has anyone any suggestions? grateful for any help.

Thanks Conrad

Old July 23rd 11, 08:19 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Simon Finnigan

"Conrad" wrote:
[...]

Is anything else on the network at all, or is it just this one pc with a
cable to the router?
Old July 24th 11, 11:38 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conrad

Hello

No there is nothing else on the network, one PC cabled to router.

Thanks

Conrad

Old July 25th 11, 08:17 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Simon Finnigan

"Conrad" wrote:
Hello

No there is nothing else on the network, one PC cabled to router.

Thanks

Conrad

Have you tried a new network card in the PC? You've shown that everything
up to the cable is fine, ,but a slightly duff connector in the socket in
the network port could possibly result in lots of errors, slowing down the
connection.

Certainly worth a thought given the cost of a new network card compared to
the time to do a new installation :-)