Bloody Pipex/Tiscali/whatever!

Old July 27th 11, 06:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

Default Bloody Pipex/Tiscali/whatever!

BB OK yesterday a.m; no connection yesterday noon.
Checked loadsathings, including a cloned HDD from 3 days ago.

Zoom PCI ADSL2 modem told me:
Call status connected
Line status ADSL connection established
Attempting to activate line
Training
Channel analysis
Exchange

Voice OK, 1471 OK, 17070 just ID'd the line _twice_ then cut. Next door's
17070 OK.
Spent a small fortune today tryng to ring droidline: 'over 6 minutes - more
than 9' etc.
About 1715 h today, it's back on.

AND! a letter _today_ telling me about work on the exchange yesterday! It
happily burbled on about 'latest technology' (where's me green cabinet?) and
'we're installing...in your exchange). aLSO '20 minutes' loss of BB.

Sam Knows just mentions ADSL and Max and no unbundling; this could be a bit
behind or, more likely, the ISP hasn't done anything. According to SK I
should get 2.5Mbps, which is better than usual but I've had 3.1 about 3
years ago!

The good bit! I was connecting at 1.8Mbps and getting typiclly 150 - 180kBps
d/l; now it's connected at 2.3Mbps and the d/l is around 250kBps, so that's
an improvment.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old July 27th 11, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"PeterC" wrote in message ...
[...]

Similar thing happened to my SiL when they commissioned her local FTTC cab.
Except the line remained dead until she raised a fault with them.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 27th 11, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"Graham." wrote in message ...

"PeterC" wrote in message ...
[...]

Well not that similar now I've taken the time to read your post properly.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 28th 11, 09:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred

If the question is Pipex this, Tiscali that or noTalk whatever then the
answer is PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC, always.

HTH
--
fred
Old July 28th 11, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 09:30:45 +0100, fred wrote:

If the question is Pipex this, Tiscali that or noTalk whatever then the
answer is PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC, always.

Agreed. Moving to a decent ISP is a good idea.

In the short term I suggest ditching the PCI modem and get a real
router. An internal modem will always disconnect when you switch off
or reboot the PC. This /could/ lead to the BT equipment thinking you
have a fault and degrade your connection. Better to leave the
connection up 24/7.
--
(\__/) M.

Old July 28th 11, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 10:56:33 +0100, Mark
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 09:30:45 +0100, fred wrote:

If the question is Pipex this, Tiscali that or noTalk whatever then the
answer is PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC, always.

Agreed. Moving to a decent ISP is a good idea.

In the short term I suggest ditching the PCI modem and get a real
router. An internal modem will always disconnect when you switch off
or reboot the PC. This /could/ lead to the BT equipment thinking you
have a fault and degrade your connection. Better to leave the
connection up 24/7.

In my experience there is no point in leaving a router permanently
switched on. I switch off all my systems every night. That includes
the router. When I switch my systems back on the following morning
there is no sign of any reduction in speed.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Planner Software www.NPSL1.com
Old July 28th 11, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 09:30:45 +0100, fred wrote:

If the question is Pipex this, Tiscali that or noTalk whatever then the
answer is PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC, always.

Agreed. Moving to a decent ISP is a good idea.

In the short term I suggest ditching the PCI modem and get a real
router. An internal modem will always disconnect when you switch off
or reboot the PC. This /could/ lead to the BT equipment thinking you
have a fault and degrade your connection. Better to leave the
connection up 24/7.

In my experience there is no point in leaving a router permanently
switched on. I switch off all my systems every night. That includes
the router. When I switch my systems back on the following morning
there is no sign of any reduction in speed.

Steve

Might work for a single user with a PC. doesn't work if you have dozens
of automated tasks on a server..and web sites..

Old July 28th 11, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 09:30:45 +0100, fred wrote:

If the question is Pipex this, Tiscali that or noTalk whatever then the
answer is PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC, always.

Agreed. Moving to a decent ISP is a good idea.

In the short term I suggest ditching the PCI modem and get a real
router. An internal modem will always disconnect when you switch off
or reboot the PC. This /could/ lead to the BT equipment thinking you
have a fault and degrade your connection. Better to leave the
connection up 24/7.

In my experience there is no point in leaving a router permanently
switched on. I switch off all my systems every night. That includes
the router. When I switch my systems back on the following morning
there is no sign of any reduction in speed.

IME it depends on the quality of your connection/circuit. Regularly
turning the router off in some circumstances can cetainly have negative
repercussions.

Old July 28th 11, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 09:30:45 +0100, fred wrote:

If the question is Pipex this, Tiscali that or noTalk whatever then the
answer is PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC, always.

Agreed. Moving to a decent ISP is a good idea.

In the short term I suggest ditching the PCI modem and get a real
router. An internal modem will always disconnect when you switch off
or reboot the PC. This /could/ lead to the BT equipment thinking you
have a fault and degrade your connection. Better to leave the
connection up 24/7.

There's no or little training for an ADSL modem, surely.
It's worked OK for 4 years and watching its screen it 'trains' in asecond or
two.

In my experience there is no point in leaving a router permanently
switched on. I switch off all my systems every night. That includes
the router. When I switch my systems back on the following morning
there is no sign of any reduction in speed.

Steve

Well, uninstalled the PCI modem, installed a 'proper' router and couldn't
see it from any of 3 browsers so reversed the procedure. No go until 20 min.
ago and I'm back in!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old July 28th 11, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 09:30:45 +0100, fred wrote:

If the question is Pipex this, Tiscali that or noTalk whatever then the
answer is PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC PAC, always.

HTH

About a dozen calls to Pipex TS (Total ----), tried borktork's line, got a
'droid, handed on to anotherdroid, just getting somewhere and a bloody
automated survey cut in! Made a change to listen to an intelligent
conversation between the automaton and my 'phone.
Anotherdroid actually rang back, then started going through its preordained
script, then the line clicked off.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away