BT Homehub / Openreach Modem

Old July 31st 11, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Socco

Default BT Homehub / Openreach Modem

With fibre optic broadband becoming more and more popular does anyone
think that BT will release a combined modem router in the near future?

It seems that with the whole fibre optic broadband things have taken a
small step back with the need for a seperate modem and router, right?

The only combined modem router I know of is the Draytek Vigor 2750n and
the Fritz!Box WLAN 7390. Surely there has to be more coming out!!

James

Old July 31st 11, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 13:00:17 +0100, James Socco
wrote:

With fibre optic broadband becoming more and more popular does anyone
think that BT will release a combined modem router in the near future?

It seems that with the whole fibre optic broadband things have taken a
small step back with the need for a seperate modem and router, right?

The only combined modem router I know of is the Draytek Vigor 2750n and
the Fritz!Box WLAN 7390. Surely there has to be more coming out!!

James

The area I live in has had fibre to every house for years. None of the
people I know have taken on fibre services because the service
providers insist of bundling broadband with TV and telephone.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Planner Software www.NPSL1.com
Old July 31st 11, 01:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

wrote:

With fibre optic broadband becoming more and more popular does anyone
think that BT will release a combined modem router in the near future?

It seems that with the whole fibre optic broadband things have taken a
small step back with the need for a seperate modem and router, right?

The only combined modem router I know of is the Draytek Vigor 2750n and
the Fritz!Box WLAN 7390. Surely there has to be more coming out!!

James

The area I live in has had fibre to every house for years. None of the
people I know have taken on fibre services because the service
providers insist of bundling broadband with TV and telephone.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Planner Software www.NPSL1.com

Who is that then. VM allow broadband only takeup.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 31st 11, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Socco

On 2011-07-31 13:27:38 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme

wrote:

With fibre optic broadband becoming more and more popular does anyone
think that BT will release a combined modem router in the near future?

It seems that with the whole fibre optic broadband things have taken a
small step back with the need for a seperate modem and router, right?

The only combined modem router I know of is the Draytek Vigor 2750n and
the Fritz!Box WLAN 7390. Surely there has to be more coming out!!

James

The area I live in has had fibre to every house for years. None of the
people I know have taken on fibre services because the service
providers insist of bundling broadband with TV and telephone.

Steve

Oh, I'm guessing you're talking about BT? We have BT here and only
have broadband and telephone, although we've been using BT for
telephone for 30 years now.

Old July 31st 11, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

wrote:

With fibre optic broadband becoming more and more popular does anyone
think that BT will release a combined modem router in the near future?

It seems that with the whole fibre optic broadband things have taken a
small step back with the need for a seperate modem and router, right?

The only combined modem router I know of is the Draytek Vigor 2750n and
the Fritz!Box WLAN 7390. Surely there has to be more coming out!!

James

The area I live in has had fibre to every house for years. None of the
people I know have taken on fibre services because the service
providers insist of bundling broadband with TV and telephone.

Steve

I think you're confusing fibre (BT Infinity, whatever) with cable
(Virgin) which is actually run into premises with co-ax, I believe

George
Old July 31st 11, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

wrote:

With fibre optic broadband becoming more and more popular does anyone
think that BT will release a combined modem router in the near future?

It seems that with the whole fibre optic broadband things have taken a
small step back with the need for a seperate modem and router, right?

The only combined modem router I know of is the Draytek Vigor 2750n and
the Fritz!Box WLAN 7390. Surely there has to be more coming out!!

James

The area I live in has had fibre to every house for years. None of the
people I know have taken on fibre services because the service
providers insist of bundling broadband with TV and telephone.

Steve

I think you're confusing fibre (BT Infinity, whatever) with cable
(Virgin) which is actually run into premises with co-ax, I believe

George

I may be a bit confused but I still remember the fibre connections
being installed around Stockport about ten years ago. Neither BT or
Virgin were involved. I forget the name of the company who installed
the fibre lines to every house but it was offered as a full package
for about 25 a month. I don't know anyone who took the offer up.

Steve

Old July 31st 11, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

wrote:

[...]

All a bit of a mystery...
However, NTL took over most of the cable operators in the UK a little
while ago and then paid Richard Branson for the name *Virgin*, so
virtually all cable systems are now Virgin.
They do use fibre as far as the cabinet (street box) but from there to
individual premises, it's co-ax.
See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Media

George
Old July 31st 11, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Wade

wrote:

[...]

Originally it was NYNEX, who always marketed it as Fibre Optic broadband,
but it never was. It was always co-ax from the street cabinet to the
premises.

Old August 1st 11, 07:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, George
Weston chose the tried and tested strategy of:

I think you're confusing fibre (BT Infinity, whatever) with cable
(Virgin) which is actually run into premises with co-ax, I believe

It's not that hard to confuse them, given how similiar they are [fibre to
somewhere else, metal to your house].

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:40:59 up 12 days, 1:31, 7 users, load average: 0.08, 0.08, 0.13

Old August 1st 11, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, James
Socco chose the tried and tested strategy of:

With fibre optic broadband becoming more and more popular does anyone
think that BT will release a combined modem router in the near future?

It would seem probable that they would do so. However, they describe their
VDSL modem as an "active NTE", so they must want the demarc to be on a piece
of active kit, presumably for support purposes.

It seems that with the whole fibre optic broadband things have taken a
small step back with the need for a seperate modem and router, right?

As you've observed in the next sentence, there are routers with VDSL WAN
interfaces on, available to buy retail in the UK, so I don't think there is
a "need" to have two boxes.

The only combined modem router I know of is the Draytek Vigor 2750n and
the Fritz!Box WLAN 7390. Surely there has to be more coming out!!

Google for "vdsl router".

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:45:09 up 12 days, 1:35, 7 users, load average: 0.21, 0.10, 0.13