Joining fon as a non-bt customer

Old July 31st 11, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Hills

Default Joining fon as a non-bt customer

If you join fon, you can get access to all the other fon hotspots
nationwide. Is it at all possible to join the network if you are not a
bt customer?
Old July 31st 11, 04:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 14:00:41 +0100, Chris Hills
wrote:

If you join fon, you can get access to all the other fon hotspots
nationwide. Is it at all possible to join the network if you are not a
bt customer?

Yes it is, BT use the Fon network as well as openworld.

http://corp.fon.com/en/
Old August 1st 11, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
root

wrote:

If you join fon, you can get access to all the other fon hotspots
nationwide. Is it at all possible to join the network if you are not a
bt customer?

Yes it is, BT use the Fon network as well as openworld.

http://corp.fon.com/en/

From the webiste:
"Become a Fonero
To join Fon, and enjoy free WiFi at Fon Spots worldwide,
just buy a Fonera once and connect it to broadband."

So you still need to have a broadband connection of your own.
Is it possible to use Fon with just a wifi connected laptop and
no BB?
Old August 1st 11, 08:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, root
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

So you still need to have a broadband connection of your own.
Is it possible to use Fon with just a wifi connected laptop and
no BB?

Yeah looks like it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FON#Pai...s_to_Fon_Spots

Connect to the Fon SSID, try to access any website and you'll be redirected
to a portal page.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:57:30 up 12 days, 1:47, 7 users, load average: 0.25, 0.21, 0.15

Old August 1st 11, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

wrote:

If you join fon, you can get access to all the other fon hotspots
nationwide. Is it at all possible to join the network if you are not a
bt customer?

Yes it is, BT use the Fon network as well as openworld.

http://corp.fon.com/en/

From the webiste:
"Become a Fonero
To join Fon, and enjoy free WiFi at Fon Spots worldwide,
just buy a Fonera once and connect it to broadband."

So you still need to have a broadband connection of your own.
Is it possible to use Fon with just a wifi connected laptop and
no BB?

Yes, but they will want money (inclusive for BTI customers).

Old August 1st 11, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
root

wrote:

If you join fon, you can get access to all the other fon hotspots
nationwide. Is it at all possible to join the network if you are not a
bt customer?

Yes it is, BT use the Fon network as well as openworld.

http://corp.fon.com/en/

From the webiste:
"Become a Fonero
To join Fon, and enjoy free WiFi at Fon Spots worldwide,
just buy a Fonera once and connect it to broadband."

So you still need to have a broadband connection of your own.
Is it possible to use Fon with just a wifi connected laptop and
no BB?

Yes, but they will want money (inclusive for BTI customers).

They do indeed - silly amounts of money. it's cheaper to buy a
fon-thing and install it than to use their daily rate for any
length of time. Which I presume is their strategy,
Old August 3rd 11, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Hills

wrote:

If you join fon, you can get access to all the other fon hotspots
nationwide. Is it at all possible to join the network if you are not a
bt customer?

Yes it is, BT use the Fon network as well as openworld.

http://corp.fon.com/en/

If you run a fon router, will that give you access to the bt fon
hotspots as well as regular fon hotspots?
Old August 4th 11, 05:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Denis McMahon

On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 17:32:53 +0100, Chris Hills wrote:

If you run a fon router, will that give you access to the bt fon
hotspots as well as regular fon hotspots?

As far as I can tell, yes, because people running bt fon hotspots also
get access to your (non bt) fon hotspot.

The whole idea does seem, after all, to be based on the idea that you
share your broadband connection with them via a wap and they share their
broadband connection with you via a wap, with fon actually mediating all
the sharing.

Rgds

Denis McMahon
Old August 4th 11, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 04:21:54 +0000, Denis McMahon wrote:

On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 17:32:53 +0100, Chris Hills wrote:

If you run a fon router, will that give you access to the bt fon
hotspots as well as regular fon hotspots?

As far as I can tell, yes, because people running bt fon hotspots also
get access to your (non bt) fon hotspot.

The whole idea does seem, after all, to be based on the idea that you
share your broadband connection with them via a wap and they share their
broadband connection with you via a wap, with fon actually mediating all
the sharing.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

I had a look at the FON website, and a quick Google, and my inference was
that you can get a 10 minute free session on FON without signing up.
So I tried to access a local BT FON access point, and couldn't - the
connection just timed out.
Is this expected behaviour ?
Old August 5th 11, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 15:50:15 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Benham
wrote:

[...]

Can you point me to the bit where it says you can get 10 mins free
wifi and I will try to connect from home. My router is fon enabled
through BT.