Moving home - to a FTTC exchange

Old August 2nd 11, 02:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Default Moving home - to a FTTC exchange

I'm about to move home, hopefully before xmas. I currently get my
internet from \Sky, connected to an unbundled exchange - download
speed averaging around 16mb/s

Tnhe new excange is also unbundked for Sky (and one or two other
ISP's), but Sam Knows indicates that the exchange has a fttc date of
1/9/11. Accepting that this date may slip, what sort of service can i
expect when |Fttc is brought binto service? I am happy to stay with
Sky as they've always come up with the goods over the last few years

The other ISP's on the exchange are

BT, Orange & TalkTtalk

Any suggestions as to what services etc that can be expected would be
much appreciated
--
Cheers

Peter

(Reply to address is a spam trap - pse reply to the group)
Old August 2nd 11, 03:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave N

Peter wrote, on 02/08/2011 14:22:
I'm about to move home, hopefully before xmas. I currently get my
internet from \Sky, connected to an unbundled exchange - download
speed averaging around 16mb/s

Tnhe new excange is also unbundked for Sky (and one or two other
ISP's), but Sam Knows indicates that the exchange has a fttc date of
1/9/11. Accepting that this date may slip, what sort of service can i
expect when |Fttc is brought binto service? I am happy to stay with
Sky as they've always come up with the goods over the last few years

The other ISP's on the exchange are

BT, Orange& TalkTtalk

Any suggestions as to what services etc that can be expected would be
much appreciated

I've been on BT Infinity for about 3 months now and the quality of
connection has been consistently very good (36Mbs/8Mbps). BT Internet
throttle P2P traffic in the evenings, but that doesn't affect my usage
in any way. Ping times are about half of those I was getting on ADSL2+.

The problem with predicting availability is complicated. Firstly, when
an exchange is enabled it doesn't necessarily mean that all street
cabinets served by that exchange will be enabled at the same time, or
even at all. Secondly, I've seen reports on ADSLGuide that some street
cabinets have been given a fibre connection to a different exchange to
that of the voice connections. Even when fibre cabinets have been
installed by BT, it can happen as it did in my case that availability
was held up for 6 months whilst waiting for another contractor to
complete the installation of an electricity supply to the fibre cabinet.

The only realistic way to find out about availability is to feed a
specific telephone number into BT Wholesale's online checker, which will
also give you an estimate of speed although it is often conservative.

--
Dave N
Old August 2nd 11, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 15:04:48 +0100, Dave N
wrote:

[...]

Sky don't seem to throttle at all

The problem with predicting availability is complicated. Firstly, when
an exchange is enabled it doesn't necessarily mean that all street
cabinets served by that exchange will be enabled at the same time, or
even at all. Secondly, I've seen reports on ADSLGuide that some street
cabinets have been given a fibre connection to a different exchange to
that of the voice connections. Even when fibre cabinets have been
installed by BT, it can happen as it did in my case that availability
was held up for 6 months whilst waiting for another contractor to
complete the installation of an electricity supply to the fibre cabinet.

The new exchange is quite small - mult of about 4,500, so not too many
cabinets.

The nearest exchange is not slated for FTTC and it is highly unlikely
that any of MMV's cabinets will be parented on MYS.

Time isn't an issue, things will happen when they happen - IO will
likely stay with Sky when I move and monitor what's available from
FTTC when it finally arrives