Skype introduces Web connectivity - at a price ....

Old August 24th 11, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
CJB

Default Skype introduces Web connectivity - at a price ....

Ever since MS took over Skype I've been getting nagging flash screens
that seem impossible to get rid of in order to actually use Skype. The
latest was to advertise a new service of web / Internet connectivity
at 10p a minute. That's about 6 an hour - that's expensive.

But then I thought what's the point. On a PC or laptop probably with
wifi you need a connection to the Internet to use Skype in the first
place. So why would anyone need secondary access to the Internet via
Skype - especially at an additional 6 an hour?

And I know of no mobile phone - not even the S2 - that offers Skype
without also offering web access. All very strange.

Doh!!!
Old August 24th 11, 12:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Graham.

"CJB" wrote in message ...
Ever since MS took over Skype I've been getting nagging flash screens
that seem impossible to get rid of in order to actually use Skype. The
latest was to advertise a new service of web / Internet connectivity
at 10p a minute. That's about 6 an hour - that's expensive.

But then I thought what's the point. On a PC or laptop probably with
wifi you need a connection to the Internet to use Skype in the first
place. So why would anyone need secondary access to the Internet via
Skype - especially at an additional 6 an hour?

And I know of no mobile phone - not even the S2 - that offers Skype
without also offering web access. All very strange.

Doh!!!

I thought it was just a payment option offered by hotels etc, in collaberation with Skype.
Ie pay for the hotel's wifi with your Skype credit rather than with your credit card.

As for an S2 with Skype access but no internet access, that's easy,
an S2 with no prepay credit.

Is the S2 still availible new from 3? It's getting a bit old now. Has something replaced it
with the same free Skype-Skype deal?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old August 24th 11, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Andy Burns

CJB wrote:

Skype [...] advertise a new service of web / Internet connectivity

What HTTPoverVOIP?

Old August 25th 11, 06:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Steve Terry

CJB wrote:
Ever since MS took over Skype I've been getting nagging flash screens
that seem impossible to get rid of in order to actually use Skype. The
latest was to advertise a new service of web / Internet connectivity
at 10p a minute. That's about 6 an hour - that's expensive.

If you have Ver 5 installed, uninstall it and download the last version of
Ver 4
which is 4.2.0.187

Less ads, no "home" page and it starts minimized in the system
tray as it used to do.

You can find 4.2.0.187 at:
www.filehippo.com/download_skype/

Steve Terry
--
Get a free GiffGaff PAYG Sim and 5 bonus after activation at:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gfourwwk