cable wireless router advice

Old August 25th 11, 12:16 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Simon Finnigan

Default cable wireless router advice

Hi all,
I'm looking for a new wireless router for my cable connection. Wireless n
is essential, I want good port forwarding abilities etc. Currently using a
net gear but fancy a better one :-)

Any suggestions?
Old August 25th 11, 03:07 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
GlowingBlueMist

On 8/24/2011 6:16 PM, Simon Finnigan wrote:
Hi all,
I'm looking for a new wireless router for my cable connection. Wireless n
is essential, I want good port forwarding abilities etc. Currently using a
net gear but fancy a better one :-)

Any suggestions?

I'd check into a possible 3rd party firmware upgrade like DD-WRT,
provided your router is supported. (it is free for most supported
routers) You can go to their web site and look up your model to see if
it is supported.

Changing to that firmware gives you many features found in commercial
grade routers and may eliminate your need to purchase a new router.

Here is a link to their web site.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

Other 3rd party firmware is around like Tomato but I personally prefer
to use DD-WRT.
Old August 25th 11, 08:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Simon Finnigan

GlowingBlueMist wrote:
On 8/24/2011 6:16 PM, Simon Finnigan wrote:
Hi all,
I'm looking for a new wireless router for my cable connection. Wireless n
is essential, I want good port forwarding abilities etc. Currently using a
net gear but fancy a better one :-)

Any suggestions?

I'd check into a possible 3rd party firmware upgrade like DD-WRT,
provided your router is supported. (it is free for most supported
routers) You can go to their web site and look up your model to see if it is supported.

Changing to that firmware gives you many features found in commercial
grade routers and may eliminate your need to purchase a new router.

Here is a link to their web site.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

Other 3rd party firmware is around like Tomato but I personally prefer to use DD-WRT.

The router I've got is a virgin branded one, IIRC it has the facility for
them to update the firmware so I'm loathe to tinker with this one incase
it's non standard. I'd flash the upgrade, kill it then have to dash out
and get a new one from PCWorld without being able to do much research.
Old August 25th 11, 11:26 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Simon Finnigan

GlowingBlueMist wrote:
On 8/24/2011 6:16 PM, Simon Finnigan wrote:
Hi all,
I'm looking for a new wireless router for my cable connection. Wireless n
is essential, I want good port forwarding abilities etc. Currently using a
net gear but fancy a better one :-)

Any suggestions?

I'd check into a possible 3rd party firmware upgrade like DD-WRT,
provided your router is supported. (it is free for most supported
routers) You can go to their web site and look up your model to see if it is supported.

Changing to that firmware gives you many features found in commercial
grade routers and may eliminate your need to purchase a new router.

Here is a link to their web site.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

Other 3rd party firmware is around like Tomato but I personally prefer to use DD-WRT.

I've upgraded the firmware in my current router and will see how things go,
,see if it's good enough. Thanks for the heads up!
Old August 25th 11, 06:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
GlowingBlueMist

On 8/25/2011 5:26 AM, Simon Finnigan wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I hope you find it fills the gaps for you.

One word of caution though, DD-WRT does allow you to raise the power
output of the radio higher than the factory default settings on most
routers that have a wireless port.

People that have used the higher output power have sometimes damaged the
circuitry due to the increased heat generated. If you do raise the
power output higher than the manufacturers default setting you may need
to add a fan to increase the cooling or risk killing the radio output.
Old August 25th 11, 06:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Simon Finnigan

wrote:
[...]

The DDNS is useable and port forwarding seems to work ok. This makes it
much betternfor me :-)

One word of caution though, DD-WRT does allow you to raise the power
output of the radio higher than the factory default settings on most
routers that have a wireless port.

People that have used the higher output power have sometimes damaged the
circuitry due to the increased heat generated. If you do raise the power
output higher than the manufacturers default setting you may need to add
a fan to increase the cooling or risk killing the radio output.

I get more than enough range as it is, and there's nobody near who has
their wifi on a channel other than 1. So putting mine on 13 means there's
no interference which is a good thing. Most of my network si wired anyway,
so the wireless speed isn't that big a deal.