Line Rental from BT to Sky

Old August 28th 11, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
pqtek

Default Line Rental from BT to Sky

I have Sky Broadband Unlimited and Sky Talk for calls but Line Rental is
with BT. Telephone Exchange is LLU.

Very happy with the broadband and the calls packages. On cost grounds
however, am considering also switching Line Rental to Sky but am concerned
that by doing so, if ever I changed away from Sky that I may have a hefty
(approx. 100?) charge to fork out to either BT or to A.N. Other Internet
Provider providing service via a BT line. Anyone know if the fee scenario
is what is likely to happen in these circumstances and/or have any comments
on how wise a move of Line Rental to Sky might be?

Also, anyone any comments on how technically robust Sky's phone service is
compared to BT's?
T.I.A.

Old August 28th 11, 05:20 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Riddles

"pqtek" wrote in message
I have Sky Broadband Unlimited and Sky Talk for calls but Line Rental is
with BT. Telephone Exchange is LLU.

Very happy with the broadband and the calls packages. On cost grounds
however, am considering also switching Line Rental to Sky but am concerned
that by doing so, if ever I changed away from Sky that I may have a hefty
(approx. 100?) charge to fork out to either BT or to A.N. Other Internet
Provider providing service via a BT line. Anyone know if the fee
scenario is what is likely to happen in these circumstances and/or have
any comments on how wise a move of Line Rental to Sky might be?

Also, anyone any comments on how technically robust Sky's phone service is
compared to BT's?
T.I.A.

I am in a similar situation and have only ever had one problem with my Sky
broadband. I was told that BT Openreach had a slot for Sky work at the
exchange at midnight, and my broadband service would be restored the next
morning. It was.

I have kept my BT line rental as most of my daytime calls are routed through
1899 and I am not sure whether Sky would let me still do this if I paid them
for my line rental. They stopped me routing calls back to BT with a prefix
(1280?), which I used 6 times a quarter to get free caller display.

Sorry I can't answer your question about any fee for moving away from Sky,
but at the moment I can't envisage any need for me to do so.

Old August 28th 11, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
pqtek

Riddles wrote:
"pqtek" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks. Can confirm that dialling 1899, 18185 and the like would not be
possible, but those (Finarea) companies do of course offer Freefone
alternative access numbers which can be used, although that's a slightly
more expensive option.

Old August 29th 11, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Flop

On 28/08/2011 16:49, pqtek wrote:
I have Sky Broadband Unlimited and Sky Talk for calls but Line Rental is
with BT. Telephone Exchange is LLU.

Very happy with the broadband and the calls packages. On cost grounds
however, am considering also switching Line Rental to Sky but am concerned
that by doing so, if ever I changed away from Sky that I may have a hefty
(approx. 100?) charge to fork out to either BT or to A.N. Other Internet
Provider providing service via a BT line. Anyone know if the fee scenario
is what is likely to happen in these circumstances and/or have any comments
on how wise a move of Line Rental to Sky might be?

Also, anyone any comments on how technically robust Sky's phone service is
compared to BT's?
T.I.A.

I have just moved from BT to another (BT)line provider. It may depend on
how long you have been with BT.

Notice was given to BT by the new ISP and was only a week or so.

They (BT) gave me a hefty refund for unused rental :-)

Flop
Old August 29th 11, 12:37 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
pqtek

Flop wrote:
[...]

Thanks, but the problem appears to be that in my case, my phone and
broadband services would be fully switched over to Sky's LLU service at the
exchange and I've read reports of BT and other ISP's charging people in
those circumstances if they ever decide to reconnect to BT services.

Old August 29th 11, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 29/08/2011 12:37, pqtek wrote:
Flop wrote:
[...]

Judging by the begging letters I get from BT since I move my phone away
from them, the reconnection fee is either free or 9.99 depending on
what products you buy from them.

From what I've heard, there can be a problem if you want to move from
one non-BT landline provider to another non-BT provider. The migration
has to go via BT, so there could be a difficulty there. I've not looked
into it myself nor am I sure of it, but it's something I came across
somewhere. Anyone know more?
Old August 29th 11, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Flop wrote:
[...]

From what I've heard, there can be a problem if you want to move from
one non-BT landline provider to another non-BT provider. The migration
has to go via BT, so there could be a difficulty there. I've not looked
into it myself nor am I sure of it, but it's something I came across
somewhere. Anyone know more?

This is probably pertinent. Looks like it's whether you LLU your
phoneline or not:
http://www.homephonechoices.co.uk/pa...-provider.html

I'm not on LLU so, I guess, that's why I get the begging letters from BT.
Old August 29th 11, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
pqtek

pqtek wrote:
I have Sky Broadband Unlimited and Sky Talk for calls but Line Rental
is with BT. Telephone Exchange is LLU.

Very happy with the broadband and the calls packages. On cost grounds
however, am considering also switching Line Rental to Sky but am
concerned that by doing so, if ever I changed away from Sky that I
may have a hefty (approx. 100?) charge to fork out to either BT or
to A.N. Other Internet Provider providing service via a BT line. Anyone
know if the fee scenario is what is likely to happen in these
circumstances and/or have any comments on how wise a move of Line
Rental to Sky might be?
Also, anyone any comments on how technically robust Sky's phone
service is compared to BT's?

Just spotted this in the Think Broadband website. Looks promising in that
BT confirm that no connection charge is made to switch from Sky back to BT
and switch would be treated as a 'return to donor' arrangement so should be
ok to keep same phone number which was originated as a BT number.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/sky/3983685-sky-line-rental-returning-to-bt.html?page=11&vc=1

or

http://tinyurl.com/3vgwlvt

Old August 30th 11, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

pqtek wrote...

I have Sky Broadband Unlimited and Sky Talk for calls but Line Rental is
with BT. Telephone Exchange is LLU.

Very happy with the broadband and the calls packages. On cost grounds
however, am considering also switching Line Rental to Sky but am concerned
that by doing so, if ever I changed away from Sky that I may have a hefty
(approx. 100?) charge to fork out to either BT or to A.N. Other Internet
Provider providing service via a BT line. Anyone know if the fee scenario
is what is likely to happen in these circumstances and/or have any comments
on how wise a move of Line Rental to Sky might be?

Also, anyone any comments on how technically robust Sky's phone service is
compared to BT's?
T.I.A.

Sky phone service is equal to BT. Once you leave BT, you'll regularly receive
begging letters from BT asking for you to return, with a half-price for 3
months inducement.

Old August 30th 11, 11:21 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Jon wrote:

Once you leave BT, you'll regularly receive
begging letters from BT asking for you to return, with a half-price for 3
months inducement.

I've found that even when you haven't left BT (e.g. you use the
inclusive minutes on your mobile for most calls) you still get regular
calls from them asking you to "come back".