Ooops! It's me again.

Old August 31st 11, 03:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flyig u 211 + on desktop

Default Ooops! It's me again.

Some of you will remember how I was having several months of strife trying
to get my Network back up and running after an XP reinstall. The network
comprises 3 computers. A netbook (Nettie with XP) and a desktop (Novetech
with XP) both connected to the 2wire 2700HGV router via wifi and a desktop
(Tiny with W98) which is connected to Novatech by a crossover ethernet lead
and an XP network bridge set up on Novatech . It was Novatech that had the
XP reinstall. Also there is an Advent all in one printer connected to
Novatech by usb and to Nettie by wifi. It was after a second XP re-install
that I was able to get the network up and running again, so I had presumed
that something within Novatech that was corrupted after the first reinstall.

Earlier today I was trying out another 2700HGV router, which as far as I
can tell is configured in exactly the same way as my usual one. Nettie
connected to the router as before quite painlessly but Novatech, although
saying that it was connected at excellent signal strength, would not allow
any data traffic to flow. Also the printer would not connect to the
replacement router by wifi even though I reconfigured it correctly. This
meant that I wouldn't be able to activate the printer from Nettie. So I
reinstalled the old router and everything was then working OK again. Could
anyone suggest what may be different in the configuration of the replacement
2700HGV I was trying out 'cos I'm all out of ideas here?
--
Heard messages are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter
FN 211+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

Old September 3rd 11, 06:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
James Egan

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 15:12:06 +0100, "Flyig u 211 + on desktop"
wrote:

Earlier today I was trying out another 2700HGV router, which as far as I
can tell is configured in exactly the same way as my usual one. Nettie
connected to the router as before quite painlessly but Novatech, although
saying that it was connected at excellent signal strength, would not allow
any data traffic to flow. Also the printer would not connect to the
replacement router by wifi even though I reconfigured it correctly. This
meant that I wouldn't be able to activate the printer from Nettie. So I
reinstalled the old router and everything was then working OK again. Could
anyone suggest what may be different in the configuration of the replacement
2700HGV I was trying out 'cos I'm all out of ideas here?

Well the new router will have a different mac address from the old
router so you might check to see if your firewall need to approve it.
Perhaps it may be the reverse and your new router needs to be
configured to accept connections from the mac address of the novatech?

Jim
Old September 3rd 11, 10:03 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flyig u 211 + on netbook

wrote:

[...]

I didn't know that firewalls distinguished between mac addresses, thought
it was only IP addresses. I can't see anything in ZA on Novatech or the
firewall on the router where you can check that. The newer router is
certainly assigned the same IP addressh as the one I normally use and
connected fine to Nettie which, like Novatech, has ZA installed .
--
Heard melodies are sweet, but those Unheard are sweeter
FN 211 +, Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

Old September 4th 11, 12:20 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
James Egan

On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 22:03:42 +0100, "Flyig u 211 + on netbook"
wrote:

I didn't know that firewalls distinguished between mac addresses, thought
it was only IP addresses. I can't see anything in ZA on Novatech or the
firewall on the router where you can check that. The newer router is
certainly assigned the same IP addressh as the one I normally use and
connected fine to Nettie which, like Novatech, has ZA installed .

Firewalls will do as they're told and occasionally go their own way
without being told. Zonealarm is a prime suspect.

You've already determined that it can't be anything but it must be
something so you will have to resolve this paradox by starting at the
beginning and see what can and can't ping what? If you have a one way
ping it's very likely a firewall issue.

Jim
Old September 4th 11, 01:01 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flyig u 211 + on desktop

wrote:

I didn't know that firewalls distinguished between mac addresses,
thought it was only IP addresses. I can't see anything in ZA on
Novatech or the firewall on the router where you can check that.
The newer router is certainly assigned the same IP addressh as the
one I normally use and connected fine to Nettie which, like
Novatech, has ZA installed .

Firewalls will do as they're told and occasionally go their own way
without being told. Zonealarm is a prime suspect.

You've already determined that it can't be anything but it must be
something so you will have to resolve this paradox by starting at the
beginning and see what can and can't ping what? If you have a one way
ping it's very likely a firewall issue.

But can you direct the firewall to accept hardware by it's mac address
rather than the IP Address? I can't see any way of instructing it to look
for the mac address.

Old September 4th 11, 09:36 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
James Egan

On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 01:01:25 +0100, "Flyig u 211 + on desktop"
wrote:

But can you direct the firewall to accept hardware by it's mac address
rather than the IP Address? I can't see any way of instructing it to look
for the mac address.

I don't know. Try switching it off to see if the connection then
works.

What can ping what? With that information you can make an informed
guess instead of a complete guess.

Jim