Plusnet Dynamic IP address

Old September 3rd 11, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Default Plusnet Dynamic IP address

How 'sticky' is a Plusnet dynamic IP address, in people's experience ?

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Old September 3rd 11, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Boulding

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 10:01:24 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote in :

How 'sticky' is a Plusnet dynamic IP address, in people's experience ?

Not, in my experience.

I don't recall ever getting the same IP after a router reboot, power cut,
manual router disconnect/reconnect or suchlike. Rarely get the same gateway,
either.

--
Regards, Peter Boulding
(to e-mail, remove "UNSPAM")
Old September 3rd 11, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

:

How 'sticky' is a Plusnet dynamic IP address, in people's
experience ?

Not, in my experience.

I don't recall ever getting the same IP after a router reboot, power
cut, manual router disconnect/reconnect or suchlike. Rarely get the
same gateway, either.

Isn't there something dubious in the use of 'sticky' and 'dynamic' in
the same sentence? Pointless, maybe?
--
Davey.
Old September 4th 11, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Boulding

On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 23:22:01 +0100, Davey wrote in
:

How 'sticky' is a Plusnet dynamic IP address, in people's
experience ?

Not, in my experience.

I don't recall ever getting the same IP after a router reboot, power
cut, manual router disconnect/reconnect or suchlike. Rarely get the
same gateway, either.

Isn't there something dubious in the use of 'sticky' and 'dynamic' in
the same sentence? Pointless, maybe?

thinks out loud

Static IP: always the same.

Dynamic IP: allocated from a pool that, during any specific connection
attempt, may or may not include your last IP--according to rules that your
ISP will not divulge and which in all probability a maximum of one employee
fully comprehends.

Sticky IP: may change after a disconnect but often doesn't. Subset of
dynamic. The frequency with which the same IP as last time is chosen
determines the stickiness of a dynamic IP: the greater the frequency, the
stickier. If the same IP as last time is selected no more often than
probability theory predicts for random selection, your IP's stickiness is
zero--but, being unable to ascertain the required data, you'll never know
this.

Proviso: you can in theory achieve guaranteed zero stickiness by never
disconnecting except after changing ISP.

Old September 4th 11, 12:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Peter Boulding wrote:

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 10:01:24 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote in
:

How 'sticky' is a Plusnet dynamic IP address, in people's
experience ?

Not, in my experience.

I don't recall ever getting the same IP after a router reboot, power
cut, manual router disconnect/reconnect or suchlike. Rarely get the
same gateway, either.

Isn't there something dubious in the use of 'sticky' and 'dynamic' in
the same sentence? Pointless, maybe?

No..some people seem to reassign them on the basis that if you had it
last & if its free you get it again.

Others simply seem to rotate them through a FIFO queue. The one address
you WONT get is the last one you had..
Old September 4th 11, 12:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Peter Boulding wrote:
[...]

No, the case of you BEING DISCONNECTED by something else, persists.

Mate on LLU talktalk..never rebooted router. Used to be about 3-5
different IP addresses every DAY.
Old September 4th 11, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Peter Boulding
wrote:
Dynamic IP: allocated from a pool that, during any specific connection
attempt, may or may not include your last IP--according to rules that your
ISP will not divulge and which in all probability a maximum of one employee
fully comprehends.

Plusnet used to have a stated policy of issuing static IP addresses to anyone
who could explain why they needed one, which seems perfectly reasonable.

Sticky IP: may change after a disconnect but often doesn't. Subset of
dynamic. The frequency with which the same IP as last time is chosen
determines the stickiness of a dynamic IP: the greater the frequency, the
stickier. If the same IP as last time is selected no more often than
probability theory predicts for random selection, your IP's stickiness is
zero--but, being unable to ascertain the required data, you'll never know
this.

I think what you have in mind is the "DHCP lease time", which is the amount
of time for which an IP address is held for re-use by a particular client
while disconnected before it is freed for use by others. On a direct cable
broadband connection the results from "ipconfig /all" should include the
expiry time of the lease, and on an ADSL connection there's usually a status
page in the modem/router which will show the same information. Different ISPs
probably set it to different values depending on what they think works best
but it's not Top Secret.

Rod.
--
Virtual Access V6.3 free usenet/email software from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtual-access/

Old September 4th 11, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Boulding

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 11:10:50 +0100, Roderick Stewart
wrote in
en.co.uk:

I think what you have in mind is the "DHCP lease time", which is the amount
of time for which an IP address is held for re-use by a particular client
while disconnected before it is freed for use by others. On a direct cable
broadband connection the results from "ipconfig /all" should include the
expiry time of the lease, and on an ADSL connection there's usually a status
page in the modem/router which will show the same information. Different ISPs
probably set it to different values depending on what they think works best
but it's not Top Secret.

clickety
ipconfig /all

Ooh: so it does:

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 04 September 2011 10:43:16
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 05 September 2011 10:43:16

So: it looks like it's 24 hours sticky, which sounds pretty viscous to me.
But: the same command also tells me that my IP is 192.168.0.2--which is the
LAN address of my Ethernet card--and the IP of the default gateway and DCHP
server is 192.168.0.1, which is my Netgear ADSL router.

opens router's browser-based interface

My current Plus Net-assigned internet IP, on the other hand, is
84.51.188.141 .

tells router to disconnect
tells router to reconnect

Yep--my internet IP has changed.

Not so sticky after all.

Old September 4th 11, 02:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

?
Not, in my experience.

I don't recall ever getting the same IP after a router reboot, power
cut, manual router disconnect/reconnect or suchlike. Rarely get the
same gateway, either.

Isn't there something dubious in the use of 'sticky' and 'dynamic' in
the same sentence? Pointless, maybe?

No..some people seem to reassign them on the basis that if you had it
last & if its free you get it again.

Others simply seem to rotate them through a FIFO queue. The one address
you WONT get is the last one you had..

It'll depend, at least partly, on the size of the address pool and the
number of clients. I told that on Be the dynamic addresses are very
sticky, but I can't tell as I have a static IP.
I thought that some dhcp servers had an option to force dynamic addresses
to be different at 'renewal', but I can't see any such option from
looking at 'man dhcpd.conf'.
Old September 4th 11, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Leverton

In article ,
Andrew Benham wrote:
On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 00:37:14 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Others simply seem to rotate them through a FIFO queue. The one address
you WONT get is the last one you had..

It'll depend, at least partly, on the size of the address pool and the
number of clients. I told that on Be the dynamic addresses are very
sticky, but I can't tell as I have a static IP.
I thought that some dhcp servers had an option to force dynamic addresses
to be different at 'renewal', but I can't see any such option from
looking at 'man dhcpd.conf'.

I think it's more the case that some DHCP servers *kofMicrosoft*kof*
don't care about trying to give persistent dynamic addresses. ISC dhcpd
does try to keep the MAC to IP mappings constant, if it can. If an
ISP used 10.*, say, they could support 16 million customers without any
address churn. I'm not familiar with ISP-grade kit though, and it does
depend as you say on the pressure in the allocated pool.

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)