Diagnosis required..

Old September 4th 11, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Default Diagnosis required..

Went to In-laws for Sunday lunch.

Was wanting to show some online video to them..jerky and kept halting.

Discovered router password and address and went in.

SNR margin 6.5dB
Attenuation 33.5dB
Connection speed 2.9Mbps

Eh? I thought, that ought to be nearer 7Mbps!

Unplugged DECT phones in an extensions. No change
Took analogue phone by side of computer/router off hook.
SNR jumped 3dB.

Of course inlaws are all arty, and the phone socket itself is hidden
behind massive immovable cupboard...

I am not sure I will bother to offer advice, - its not generally well
received. But I am curious as to what people think has been done by way
of 'artistic' phone plugging and so on as against actual proper practice.

Old September 5th 11, 10:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Devs

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

Went to In-laws for Sunday lunch.

Was wanting to show some online video to them..jerky and kept halting.

Discovered router password and address and went in.

SNR margin 6.5dB
Attenuation 33.5dB
Connection speed 2.9Mbps

Eh? I thought, that ought to be nearer 7Mbps!

Unplugged DECT phones in an extensions. No change
Took analogue phone by side of computer/router off hook.
SNR jumped 3dB.

Of course inlaws are all arty, and the phone socket itself is hidden
behind massive immovable cupboard...

I am not sure I will bother to offer advice, - its not generally well
received. But I am curious as to what people think has been done by way
of 'artistic' phone plugging and so on as against actual proper practice.

Replace the filter.
--
Devs
"Punchdown Pete the old Kroner"
Old September 5th 11, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 20:00:19 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Went to In-laws for Sunday lunch.

Was wanting to show some online video to them..jerky and kept halting.

Discovered router password and address and went in.

SNR margin 6.5dB
Attenuation 33.5dB
Connection speed 2.9Mbps

Eh? I thought, that ought to be nearer 7Mbps!

Unplugged DECT phones in an extensions. No change
Took analogue phone by side of computer/router off hook.
SNR jumped 3dB.

Of course inlaws are all arty, and the phone socket itself is hidden
behind massive immovable cupboard...

I am not sure I will bother to offer advice, - its not generally well
received. But I am curious as to what people think has been done by way
of 'artistic' phone plugging and so on as against actual proper practice.

It's anyone's guess.

I avoid diagosing computer & Internet problems for relatives now. They
usually ignored my advice and still moaned at me when things went
wrong.
--
(\__/) M.

Old September 5th 11, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

[...]

Too sodding true.

After about 3 abortive visits the news that 'this wifi equipped printer
is basically fit for the scrap heap' was NOT well received.

The problem is they buy a bunch of junk, it doesn't work, you get asked
to fix it, when they should have asked first 'what should I buy?'

People THINK they know how to make purchasing decisions, then they
rationalise the failure of the system into a support issue.
Old September 6th 11, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

Mark wrote...

wrote:

[...]

Many people believe free advice is worth jack ****. You can only trust people
who are charging you. Bearing in mind the amount of ******** that can read on
the interweb - perhaps people have good reason to be wary of some information
they receive.

Best ******** I've heard recently - "I need to buy an iPhone, so I can record
Sky programmes when I'm out".

Old September 6th 11, 11:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 06/09/2011 11:02, Jon wrote:
Best ******** I've heard recently - "I need to buy an iPhone, so I can record
Sky programmes when I'm out".

That's not complete ********. Sky have produced an app that allows you
to set your Sky+ while you're away from home. This is not available on
android AFAIK.

So the statement as written /is/ wrong, but they presumably were meaning
the app.
Old September 6th 11, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

chris wrote...

On 06/09/2011 11:02, Jon wrote:
Best ******** I've heard recently - "I need to buy an iPhone, so I can record
Sky programmes when I'm out".

That's not complete ********. Sky have produced an app that allows you
to set your Sky+ while you're away from home. This is not available on
android AFAIK.

So the statement as written /is/ wrong, but they presumably were meaning
the app.

No. It's not necessary to use an app, just log into the Sky website.

Old September 6th 11, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Devs

In message , chris
writes
This is not available on android AFAIK.

You know wrong then! I have been using the app on my Desire for ages.
Old September 7th 11, 09:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 06/09/2011 19:29, Devs wrote:
In message , chris writes
This is not available on android AFAIK.

You know wrong then! I have been using the app on my Desire for ages.

OK, I sit corrected I don't do Sky so, it's at the periphery of what
I know...
Old September 10th 11, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 12:31:31 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, The Natural Philosopher disturbed my
reverie and wrote:

People THINK they know how to make purchasing decisions, then they
rationalise the failure of the system into a support issue.

The same issue affects us al in different ways. The number of patients
who think they know better than I after 30 years of being a dentist.
--

Cheers

DrT
We may not be able to prevent the stormy times in
our lives; but we can always choose to dance
in the puddles (Jewish proverb).