Orange broadband to be cheaper in rural areas

Old September 8th 11, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

Default Orange broadband to be cheaper in rural areas

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ange-launches-
rural-broadband-discount.html

"""Mr Thevenot said that Orange has “seriously considered” charging by
speed received, but that it was not practical because each house's wiring
could be very different."""

So why not charge by (inverse) distance from the exchange then ? An ISP
already has that info for its customers.

From a suburban customer paying for 20 Mb/s and getting 5...
Old September 8th 11, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Andrew Benham wrote:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ange-launches-
rural-broadband-discount.html

"""Mr Thevenot said that Orange has “seriously considered” charging by
speed received, but that it was not practical because each house's wiring
could be very different."""

So why not charge by (inverse) distance from the exchange then ? An ISP
already has that info for its customers.

From a suburban customer paying for 20 Mb/s and getting 5...

Even that don't work..I have nearly doubled synch speed by getting the
best set of wires available..thank you OpenReach engineers, the coffee
and biscuits is always available.
Old September 8th 11, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hermit

"Andrew Benham" wrote in message ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ange-launches-
rural-broadband-discount.html

"""Mr Thevenot said that Orange has “seriously considered” charging by
speed received, but that it was not practical because each house's wiring
could be very different."""

So why not charge by (inverse) distance from the exchange then ? An ISP
already has that info for its customers.

From a suburban customer paying for 20 Mb/s and getting 5...

================

Only pay for what you get!!!???

Surely you are joking, Sir.

Old September 8th 11, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

"Hermit" considered Thu, 8 Sep 2011
18:01:13 +0100 the perfect time to write:

"Andrew Benham" wrote in message ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...ange-launches-
rural-broadband-discount.html

"""Mr Thevenot said that Orange has “seriously considered” charging by
speed received, but that it was not practical because each house's wiring
could be very different."""

So why not charge by (inverse) distance from the exchange then ? An ISP
already has that info for its customers.

From a suburban customer paying for 20 Mb/s and getting 5...

================

Only pay for what you get!!!???

Surely you are joking, Sir.

It would give them one hell of an incentive to sort out line quality.
Old September 8th 11, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Windmill

The Natural Philosopher writes:

Even that don't work..I have nearly doubled synch speed by getting the
best set of wires available..thank you OpenReach engineers, the coffee
and biscuits is always available.

Doesn't that spoil their appetites ?

Or am I naively overlooking the possibility that it comes in folding
form?

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
@ O n e t e l dot c o m
Old September 9th 11, 04:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"Windmill" wrote in message ...
The Natural Philosopher writes:

Even that don't work..I have nearly doubled synch speed by getting the
best set of wires available..thank you OpenReach engineers, the coffee
and biscuits is always available.

Doesn't that spoil their appetites ?

Or am I naively overlooking the possibility that it comes in folding
form?

Is that a euphemism sir?
I don't know, I thought it was a bourbon.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old September 9th 11, 07:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
thesimpsons

So why not charge by (inverse) distance from the exchange then ? An ISP
already has that info for its customers.

From a suburban customer paying for 20 Mb/s and getting 5...

But the cost of providing ADSL is the same or probably more the greater the
distance you are from the exchange.
Perhaps ISPs should have restricted speeds for everyone to a max of 2meg
thereby reducing the difference between the have and have nots.

Old September 9th 11, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On 09/09/11 07:57, thesimpsons wrote:
So why not charge by (inverse) distance from the exchange then ? An ISP
already has that info for its customers.

From a suburban customer paying for 20 Mb/s and getting 5...

But the cost of providing ADSL is the same or probably more the greater the
distance you are from the exchange.
Perhaps ISPs should have restricted speeds for everyone to a max of 2meg
thereby reducing the difference between the have and have nots.

That's a crazy idea.

I'm just wondering about the logic of Orange's ADSL pricing when my
uncle who lives in a tiny village in Norfolk (with no pub, no shop, a
bus once a week, but with a telephone exchange within 100 yards of
his house) could get cheaper and much faster broadband than I can
in suburban London because I'm 2 miles from the exchange.

Just because he's classed as "rural"...
Old September 9th 11, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Windmill wrote:
The Natural Philosopher writes:

Even that don't work..I have nearly doubled synch speed by getting the
best set of wires available..thank you OpenReach engineers, the coffee
and biscuits is always available.

Doesn't that spoil their appetites ?

Or am I naively overlooking the possibility that it comes in folding
form?

No, it doesn't. I am just saying that at the sharp end, whether the
openreach engineer feels like chasing YOUR problem down, or dismissing
you as a stupid tosser who doesn't deserve a decent connection, makes a
huge difference.