FTTC and ADSL Max speed

Old September 23rd 11, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

Default FTTC and ADSL Max speed

A nearby street cabinet has had some FTTC upgrade work carried out although
the service is not yet live.

I've notice in the past few weeks since the work was carried out that my
ADSL connection has been more stable - the modem reported noise margin has
increased from about 2 or 3 to 8. The line attenuation has stayed the same
but my connection has been more stable. The longest connection so far has
been 12 days which previously was impossible.

Can FTTC upgrade work improve line quality for ADSL Max?

Old September 23rd 11, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 17:38:12 +0100, Gareth wrote:

A nearby street cabinet has had some FTTC upgrade work carried out
although the service is not yet live.

I've notice in the past few weeks since the work was carried out that my
ADSL connection has been more stable - the modem reported noise margin
has increased from about 2 or 3 to 8. The line attenuation has stayed
the same but my connection has been more stable. The longest connection
so far has been 12 days which previously was impossible.

Can FTTC upgrade work improve line quality for ADSL Max?

I don't see how - unless your PCP cabinet was full of mud or similar,
and BTO cleaned it out when putting in the link cable to the FTTC cabinet.

Old September 23rd 11, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Gareth wrote:
A nearby street cabinet has had some FTTC upgrade work carried out
although the service is not yet live.

I've notice in the past few weeks since the work was carried out that my
ADSL connection has been more stable - the modem reported noise margin
has increased from about 2 or 3 to 8. The line attenuation has stayed
the same but my connection has been more stable. The longest connection
so far has been 12 days which previously was impossible.

Can FTTC upgrade work improve line quality for ADSL Max?

could if it takes some ADSL uses off adjacent pairs..

Old September 23rd 11, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

The Natural Philosopher (for it is he) wrote:

Gareth wrote:

Can FTTC upgrade work improve line quality for ADSL Max?

could if it takes some ADSL uses off adjacent pairs..

Which seems unlikely if it's not live yet. I reckon it's more likely that BT
have corrected something else that was wrong whilst doing the upgrade work.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:46:55 up 7 days, 59 min, 5 users, load average: 0.04, 0.07, 0.13

Old September 23rd 11, 08:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tired

Gareth wrote:

Can FTTC upgrade work improve line quality for ADSL Max?

could if it takes some ADSL uses off adjacent pairs..

Which seems unlikely if it's not live yet. I reckon it's more likely
that BT have corrected something else that was wrong whilst doing the
upgrade work.

Are BT using the opportunity to replace copper wires while laying the fibre
optics?

On a tangent, a bit worrying, when BT announced my area was getting FTTC
upgrade, the exchange serves maybe 50,000 households, they claimed that
20,000 will get the upgrade. Is this normal?

Old September 23rd 11, 11:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Gareth wrote:
A nearby street cabinet has had some FTTC upgrade work carried out
although the service is not yet live.

I've notice in the past few weeks since the work was carried out that my
ADSL connection has been more stable - the modem reported noise margin
has increased from about 2 or 3 to 8. The line attenuation has stayed the
same but my connection has been more stable. The longest connection so
far has been 12 days which previously was impossible.

Can FTTC upgrade work improve line quality for ADSL Max?

could if it takes some ADSL uses off adjacent pairs..

Also the running of cables in the local exchange (yes there is some copper
involved) can affect other services both to the good or make them worse.

Old September 23rd 11, 11:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Gareth wrote:

Can FTTC upgrade work improve line quality for ADSL Max?
could if it takes some ADSL uses off adjacent pairs..

Which seems unlikely if it's not live yet. I reckon it's more likely
that BT have corrected something else that was wrong whilst doing the
upgrade work.

Are BT using the opportunity to replace copper wires while laying the
fibre optics?

On a tangent, a bit worrying, when BT announced my area was getting FTTC
upgrade, the exchange serves maybe 50,000 households, they claimed that
20,000 will get the upgrade. Is this normal?

Sounds a little low, should be around 75% and it's late so the brain can't
do the math (that's after spending 4 hours on the phone to over there
trying to get a login profile corrected. Got another one to attempt on
Tuesday, at least I've got a few days to recover. Think I'll jump straight
in before they start on the scripts next time.

Old September 24th 11, 09:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Gareth wrote:

Can FTTC upgrade work improve line quality for ADSL Max?

could if it takes some ADSL uses off adjacent pairs..

Which seems unlikely if it's not live yet. I reckon it's more likely that BT
have corrected something else that was wrong whilst doing the upgrade work.

Or have simply physically moved some cables.

On longish runs other peoples ADSL is the biggest source of
interference, with AM radio being notable but less.
Old September 25th 11, 07:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Champ

On 23/09/2011 20:07, Tired wrote:
Are BT using the opportunity to replace copper wires while laying the fibre
optics?

They've just swapped our aluminium for copper. Gone from 2.3 to
3.6megs. We're not due for FTTC until next spring.

Andy