Netgear DGN1000 problems

Old September 28th 11, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Netgear DGN1000 problems

I bought a Netgear DGN1000, in an emergency, to replace my old 3com
router which got more and more unreliable (wouldn't sync) after a
thunderstorm. The problem with the DGN1000 is that, over about an hour
or so, it takes longer and longer to load web pages etc. Eventually all
requests time out, rebooting the router restores normal operation.

Sync speed (reported by the router) and IP profile (reported by ISP) are
both about 3.5Mbps. Line length is about 4 miles so this seems about
right.
www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk gives about 2800kbps download, 470kbps
upload. Even when the page takes ages to load, once the test gets going
it reports roughly the same numbers.
ISP is Plusnet.
The old 3Com router, before it got fried, stayed up for months at a
time. I traced the fault to the router rather than some other fault on
the line by operating it stood on top of an ice block from the freezer.
It worked OK until I took the block away and allowed it to warm up, then
it lost sync.

Other stuff I've tried:

- Replace the 'Obtain DNS from ISP' setting in the router with fixed
primary and secondary DNS IP addresses listed on Plusnet's website.
This improved the time-until-reboot-required from a few minutes to a few
hours.

- The 'check for new firmware' option in the router admin page tells me
I already have the latest version.

Any ideas? Is it just a case of "it's a bargain basement router, they
all do that sir"? If so, any recommendations for a replacement?

TIA
Old September 28th 11, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

wrote:

[...]

If you suspect a DNS problem, note the IP addresses of a few websites,
and when the problem occurs browse to these sites using their IP address
rather than their URLs. If the pages display at the correct speed then
you've probably confirmed the suspicion.

1) try your router on a friend's connection

2) try another (different make) router on your connection

If this gives inconclusive results,

3) Try another computer on your router and connection.

--
Graham J

Old September 28th 11, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 28/09/2011 16:50, Graham J wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Or from a command prompt (presuming Windows) try looking up a hostname
using:

nslookup google.com

Or similar.

Old September 28th 11, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On 28/09/11 15:58, wrote:

[...]

I have the same basic setup, line length about 4 miles, plusnet as ISP
and currently have a stable connection down to 2.9dB (not as fast as I
would like, but bearable :-( ). However, that's since the FTTC cabinet
was enabled; before then there were minor problems holding the
connection and, as the SNR dropped below 5dB, short periods of symptoms
you experience - just before the re-train occurred.

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old September 29th 11, 11:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In article ,
says...

[...]

Thanks for all the replies so far, I'll borrow a friend's router over
the weekend and give that a try.

The situation is complicated a bit by the fact that the LAN setup is all
wireless at the moment. I did try lugging the PC into the same room as
the router and plugging it in direct instead, this didn't appear to make
much difference. However last night I tried pinging the router over the
WLAN, packet loss was at least 50%. Reported link speed was 54Mbps,
signal strength 4 out of 5, the router is about 3 metres away through a
wooden floor. Clearly this needs fixing before anything else, it's a
rented house so my options for pulling cable are a bit limited but I'll
see what can be done.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll report back after the weekend.

Cheers

R.
Old September 30th 11, 10:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

wrote:
In l-september.org,
says...

[...]

Why on earth move the PC? Just use a long ethernet cable for when you
need to run such a test ... unless it's more than 100 metres ?

--
Graham J

Old October 1st 11, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Sounds typical of a faulty router or it could be another nearby router on
the same channel. .

Peter Crosland