How to connect RJ-45/Ethernet only devices to WiFi?

Old October 2nd 11, 08:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default How to connect RJ-45/Ethernet only devices to WiFi?

Until recently we used a 3G router to connect to the internet from our
small boat. This provided a 4 port switch which allowed two laptops,
a printer and a VOIP base station to talk to each other as well as to
access the internet via the 3G.

Now we have moved to a marina which provides us with a WiFi connection
so I want, if possible, to do basically the same as the 3G router did
but using the WiFi to connect to the internet. (We'll probably keep
the 3G router set up to provide internet when we're on the move away
from the marina)

This doesn't seem to be a common requirement, while lots of routers do
provide 'bridging' and such it's not well documented and in the main
seems to sort of peer the WiFi which isn't quite what I want. I want
something which will run as a client to the marina's WiFi and provide
only hard-wired ethernet LAN connections, I don't need 'local' WiFi.

I can find a number of devices which seem to provide a single ethernet
connection to a WiFi but not a switch which does this. I already have
some WiFi capable routers which *might* do what I want but the
documentation is so strongly oriented towards the router being a WiFi
server that I'm unsure whether they can do what I want.

What I have a-
Speedtouch 716WL router (old, but it might do it)
Tenda Wireless-N W311-R (this sounds like it can do it, but I need help)
Solwise 434T 3G router (has WiFi as well)

All of these have 4 port switches on the LAN side and can thus provide
all I need on that front.

Can anyone tell me whether what I have can do what I want, or what I
need to do what I want? (I could also dedicate an old eeePc 700
series to the task but everything would have to be done from the
command line)

--
Chris Green
Old October 2nd 11, 11:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
GlowingBlueMist

On 10/2/2011 2:30 PM, wrote:
[...]

What you need to check is the wireless configuration options on the
various devices you have to see if they offer something that sounds like
Client mode or Access Point Client rather than the usual default of
Access Point, if it even offers a choice.

With out this option your router's wireless section can not be made to
act as a slave device to the marina's transmitter.

Once you have a box configured in the client mode rather than access
point mode you the rest of the configuration consists mostly of setting
it the WAN port to be either DHCP or fixed IP depending on what the
marina is using. The the rest of the configuration should consist of
matching the security method and password to match what the marina is using.

Many newer boxes have the client option but quite a few older devices
made for consumer use were programed to only act as a wireless server,
like the marina's unit is configured.

If you do wind up having to look for some different hardware, used or
new, I would check the model/revision against the DD-WRT Supported
Devices list fount at:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

If the box already has the client mode as an option the DD-WRT firmware
is not needed but it makes sense to get a box that has the choice in
case you later want to sell the box (good selling point) or use some of
of the features that firmware offers now or later.

If the wireless box is on the approved list loading the DD-WRT firmware
in it will give you the Client mode you need to hook up to the marina's
signal even if it is not included in the original factory menu of options.
Old December 14th 11, 01:29 AM
Juli_Conna Juli_Conna is offline
Junior Member

atk natural and hairy lesbian housewife sex in lake hughes california menstrual sex viedos sex asian **** valentine gifts for men anal sex nice ass coed video chat adult xxx rated graphics students distribute porn over cell phones milf cruiser kayla eves sex tape free sex positions the crossover phester swollen sex pistols free adult flash movies naruto and ten ten porn good milf porn teen girls in tiny skirts ****ing lesbian sucking lesbian brunette lesbian girls kissing in the office sex xxx porn bondage small tits sports science sex