BT national fault

Old October 3rd 11, 02:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Default BT national fault

On behalf of a BT Business broadband customer, I've just tried ringing
0845 600 7020 in order to try to report a fault. (Good ADSL sync, no
PPPoA connection.)

It rings indefinitely.

So I rang my tame "BT Local Business" (much derided in this ng recently)
contact - he says that BT has a national fault, and the helpline is
overloaded and has crashed.

Time to migrate, I feel.

--
Graham J
Old October 3rd 11, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Graham J wrote:
On behalf of a BT Business broadband customer, I've just tried ringing
0845 600 7020 in order to try to report a fault. (Good ADSL sync, no
PPPoA connection.)

It rings indefinitely.

So I rang my tame "BT Local Business" (much derided in this ng recently)
contact - he says that BT has a national fault, and the helpline is
overloaded and has crashed.

Time to migrate, I feel.

heard it on radio 2 - birmingham down or summat.
Old October 3rd 11, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
UnsteadyKen

Graham J wrote...

Time to migrate, I feel.

No ISP can guarantee a fault free service, BT serves me fine and has
done for years, the current outage appears to be regional.

No problems here in Northants and my Home Hub reports:
ADSL line status
Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 31 days, 14:30:39
Downstream 10,144 Kbps
Upstream 888 Kbps

--
Ken O'Meara
http://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/
Old October 3rd 11, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Graham J" [email protected] wrote in message
On behalf of a BT Business broadband customer, I've just tried ringing
0845 600 7020 in order to try to report a fault. (Good ADSL sync, no PPPoA
connection.)

It rings indefinitely.

So I rang my tame "BT Local Business" (much derided in this ng recently)
contact - he says that BT has a national fault, and the helpline is
overloaded and has crashed.

Time to migrate, I feel.

The BBC is reporting that BT has a major fault affect many customers
nationwide. Details here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15154020

The BBC page states that the story was updated at 1400.

No telecoms system is entirely fault free and no telecoms company can
economically provide a call handling facility that can handle the load that
a widespread fault can cause. Changing to another provider will not give any
guarantee that it will avoid a similar problem in future. To do so would be
a gross over-reaction.

Peter Crosland

Old October 3rd 11, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Peter Crosland wrote:
[...]

But a correct one in the opinion of most people who bothered to answer
the questionnaire at kitz.co.uk where BT are consistently near the
bottom of the charts.

Peter Crosland

Old October 3rd 11, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 03/10/2011 16:37, Peter Crosland wrote:
"Graham J" [email protected] wrote in message
On behalf of a BT Business broadband customer, I've just tried ringing
0845 600 7020 in order to try to report a fault. (Good ADSL sync, no PPPoA
connection.)

It rings indefinitely.

So I rang my tame "BT Local Business" (much derided in this ng recently)
contact - he says that BT has a national fault, and the helpline is
overloaded and has crashed.

Time to migrate, I feel.

The BBC is reporting that BT has a major fault affect many customers
nationwide. Details here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15154020

The BBC page states that the story was updated at 1400.

Not particularly news worthy IMO. ISP's have widespread faults from time
to time - such is life!

No telecoms system is entirely fault free and no telecoms company can
economically provide a call handling facility that can handle the load that
a widespread fault can cause. Changing to another provider will not give any
guarantee that it will avoid a similar problem in future. To do so would be
a gross over-reaction.

+1

Old October 3rd 11, 05:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 15:43:19 +0100, UnsteadyKen wrote:

Graham J wrote...

Time to migrate, I feel.

No ISP can guarantee a fault free service, BT serves me fine and has
done for years, the current outage appears to be regional.

No problems here in Northants and my Home Hub reports:
ADSL line status
Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 31 days, 14:30:39
Downstream 10,144 Kbps
Upstream 888 Kbps

Also in Northants, about 3.2km from Roade exchange, 2.9 Mbps connection.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old October 3rd 11, 06:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Plusnet Support Team wrote:
[...]

A note on the BT website - at:

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/c...X3N0YXRl PTAi

.... would be useful.

Professional ISPs (not sure about Plusnet) usually do this, and show a
call queue wait time.

Only luck in this case that it's sufficiently newsworthy to get on the BBC

--
Graham J

Old October 3rd 11, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Plusnet Support Team wrote:
[...]

Nah. Slow news day - post Conservative Party Conference
headliner.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old October 3rd 11, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

Plusnet Support Team wrote:
[...]

Or possibly some BBC journos affected and the editor saw the
excuse.....
--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl