BT outage

Old October 3rd 11, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

Default BT outage

Does the outage at one of BT major exchanges only course trouble for
BT users?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15154020

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. www.npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com

Old October 3rd 11, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 03/10/2011 15:09, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
Does the outage at one of BT major exchanges only course trouble for
BT users?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15154020

AFAIK, it hasn't affected us.

Old October 3rd 11, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
Does the outage at one of BT major exchanges only course trouble for
BT users?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15154020

Steve

Not sure, the only fault recorded is a '21CN' fault by BT wholesale,
with IDNET, and that was fixed this morning: It suggests its not in the
backhaul but in a POP.
Old October 3rd 11, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wibble

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
Does the outage at one of BT major exchanges only course trouble for
BT users?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15154020

Steve

Do you mean "only course trouble" or cause?

Old October 3rd 11, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 15:09:21 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

Does the outage at one of BT major exchanges only course trouble for
BT users?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15154020

Steve

No

Any other ISP which is using the BT DSLAM would be affected for users
on affected DSLAMs / equipment (there are multiple DSLAMs in some
exchanges).

The BBC article actually mentions business customers being affected -
but a lot of those use DSL access lines these days.

However a power failure can be more widespread than that - other LLU
operators may have battery backup, but are unlikely to survive forever
without exchange power.

Finally some LLU uses BT or OLO backhaul equipment out of the exchange
(more likely in somewhere away from a major city) - once that is hit
by a power fault all the batteries in the world are not going to help
the LLU ISP customers get to the Internet.
--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl
Old October 3rd 11, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Stephen Wolstenholme (for it is he) wrote:

Does the outage at one of BT major exchanges only course trouble for
BT users?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15154020

Yes, just seemed to affect BT Retail customers.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:03:36 up 17 days, 2:16, 6 users, load average: 0.06, 0.12, 0.13

Old October 3rd 11, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

alexd wrote:
Stephen Wolstenholme (for it is he) wrote:

Does the outage at one of BT major exchanges only course trouble for
BT users?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15154020

Yes, just seemed to affect BT Retail customers.

Ergo it wasnt the DSLAMS as such, but the backhaul or a POP.
Old October 4th 11, 05:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Noble

In message , Wibble
writes

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
.. .
Does the outage at one of BT major exchanges only course trouble for
BT users?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15154020

Steve

Do you mean "only course trouble" or cause?

I think you are wasting your time! Even people born and educated in this
country in the last 30 years seem unable to speak or write English
properly anymore.

Education, or lack thereof, is probably the biggest factor. A recent
item on the BBC suggested that the habit of saying, for example, "1800s"
instead of "19th century" in so many programs, was because a lot of
people didn't understand how to work out which century was being
discussed.
--
James Noble
Old October 4th 11, 08:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 05:30:20 +0100
James Noble wrote:

In message , Wibble
writes

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
.. .
Does the outage at one of BT major exchanges only course trouble
for BT users?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15154020

Steve

Do you mean "only course trouble" or cause?

I think you are wasting your time! Even people born and educated in
this country in the last 30 years seem unable to speak or write
English properly anymore.

Education, or lack thereof, is probably the biggest factor. A recent
item on the BBC suggested that the habit of saying, for example,
"1800s" instead of "19th century" in so many programs, was because a
lot of people didn't understand how to work out which century was
being discussed.

I agree with the lack of knowledge of how to speak and spell our
language, and so it is up to us to point out and correct such failures
whenever we see them.
--
Davey.
Old October 4th 11, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

On 04/10/2011 05:30, James Noble wrote:
In message ,
Wibble writes

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in
message
Does the outage at one of BT major exchanges only
course trouble for
BT users?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15154020

Steve

Do you mean "only course trouble" or cause?

I think you are wasting your time! Even people born
and educated in this country in the last 30 years seem
unable to speak or write English properly anymore.

That's a bit harsh. I have found the odd homophone
creep in to my own typing, and of course! the
spell-checker accepts it. It's not lack of
understanding the word. I "hear" it in my head
without thinking about how it looks written down. I
guess my brain just supplies the "first match", not
looking at the context.

If you go back 30 years, you'd find plenty of adults
with poor literacy skills. There were lots of jobs
that didn't require it. That's not the case nowadays.
Literacy demands are much higher. We seem to
communicate more by writing and less by speech.

Incidentally, my spell-checker has flagged "anymore".
If you were being ironic, nice one!

Education, or lack thereof, is probably the biggest
factor. A recent item on the BBC suggested that the
habit of saying, for example, "1800s" instead of "19th
century" in so many programs, was because a lot of
people didn't understand how to work out which century
was being discussed.

I find that awkward, too, but for most of my life, we
didn't need to say "19th". We just said "last". Now,
when kids say "that's so last century", they mean,
well, people like us.