BT Infinity modem position

Old October 6th 11, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hugo Nebula

Default BT Infinity modem position

I'm looking at BTs Faster Broadband (NOT Infinity, 'cos my line's crap
and can only manage 7Mb with FTTC). In the set up speil, they say they
will 'install' (i.e., plug in) a new modem/router, and that it has to
be located at the master socket.

Is this genuine, or can it be located to an extension socket (after
the BT engineer has gone)? My current set up has my router, printer
and NAS in a first floor bedroom connected to the existing master
socket via an extension thoughtfully installed behind skirting boards,
etc., by the previous owner. I get as good a connection through the
extension as I do at the master socket.

If it HAD to be located next to the master socket it would be in the
way in the hall, and would take up a power socket used for hoovering,
mowing the lawn, etc. Could it be plugged into the end of the
extension? I presume that BT's speil says it should be plugged in to
the master socket just to cover themselves?
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?
Old October 6th 11, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Victor Meldrew

On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 20:43:12 +0100, Hugo Nebula
wrote:

I'm looking at BTs Faster Broadband (NOT Infinity, 'cos my line's crap
and can only manage 7Mb with FTTC).

Why is this not fast enough ? Your line isn't crap.

--
vic
Old October 7th 11, 07:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Hugo Nebula wrote:

I'm looking at BTs Faster Broadband (NOT Infinity, 'cos my line's crap
and can only manage 7Mb with FTTC). In the set up speil, they say they
will 'install' (i.e., plug in) a new modem/router, and that it has to
be located at the master socket.

They fit a VDSL specific NTE/faceplate (fatter than the ADSL ones) so
the modem and router *do* have to be at the master socket, however they
can use existing wiring to move the master socket to what is currently
an extension if required ...
Old October 7th 11, 09:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hugo Nebula

[Default] On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 07:59:21 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
Andy Burns , randomly hit the keyboard
and wrote:

They fit a VDSL specific NTE/faceplate (fatter than the ADSL ones) so
the modem and router *do* have to be at the master socket, however they
can use existing wiring to move the master socket to what is currently
an extension if required ...

At cost, or as part of the install?
Old October 7th 11, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hugo Nebula

[Default] On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 22:27:31 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
Victor Meldrew , randomly hit the keyboard and

wrote:

I'm looking at BTs Faster Broadband (NOT Infinity, 'cos my line's crap
and can only manage 7Mb with FTTC).

Why is this not fast enough ? Your line isn't crap.

"7Mb with FTTC".
Old October 7th 11, 09:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

and wrote:

They fit a VDSL specific NTE/faceplate (fatter than the ADSL ones) so
the modem and router *do* have to be at the master socket, however they
can use existing wiring to move the master socket to what is currently
an extension if required ...

At cost, or as part of the install?

With mine they did it as part of the install but I think we order the
service with the 'extension kit' option (AFAIK you can order without
this too).

Old October 7th 11, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Hugo Nebula wrote:

Andy wrote:

They fit a VDSL specific NTE/faceplate (fatter than the ADSL ones) so
the modem and router *do* have to be at the master socket, however they
can use existing wiring to move the master socket to what is currently
an extension if required ...

At cost, or as part of the install?

As part of AFAIK. There is/was cost for the install anyway, but the
usual price of "extras" is coffee and hobnobs isn't it?
Old October 7th 11, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

wrote:

[...]

It's not essential to use the master socket. BT want to exclude the
house wiring because it's often not their responsibility. My setup is
similar to yours but the other way up. The master socket is upstairs
and all the extensions are downstairs. None of my equipment is plugged
into the master socket apart from a telephone. I did try using a
wireless router on the master socket but that resulted in too much
noise.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. www.npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com

Old October 7th 11, 12:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Barry Oakley

and wrote:

They fit a VDSL specific NTE/faceplate (fatter than the ADSL ones) so
the modem and router *do* have to be at the master socket, however they
can use existing wiring to move the master socket to what is currently
an extension if required ...

At cost, or as part of the install?

With mine they did it as part of the install but I think we order the
service with the 'extension kit' option (AFAIK you can order without
this too).

Slightly off topic - but I do not have a 'Master Socket' in my house (it
is very old). Would it make sense for me to see if I can get BT to fit
one - and are they likely to?

--
Barry Oakley
The 'Reply-To' address will be valid for a short time.
Old October 7th 11, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

and wrote:

They fit a VDSL specific NTE/faceplate (fatter than the ADSL ones) so
the modem and router *do* have to be at the master socket, however
they can use existing wiring to move the master socket to what is
currently an extension if required ...

At cost, or as part of the install?

With mine they did it as part of the install but I think we order the
service with the 'extension kit' option (AFAIK you can order without
this too).

Slightly off topic - but I do not have a 'Master Socket' in my house (it
is very old). Would it make sense for me to see if I can get BT to fit
one - and are they likely to?

Sorry, are you saying you have an LJU style master socket (as shown on
http://www.britishtelephones.com/menulju.htm or on
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm) or that you don't have the
phone socket system introduced in the 1980s at all ?

My understanding of what Openreach will do for you depends on what you
currently have.