adsl 2+ speed ?

Old October 7th 11, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ghostrecon

Default adsl 2+ speed ?

Unexpectedly got a notification that we are being upgraded to adsl 2+
currently get 8Meg - about 0.6km from exchange, anybody in a similar
position give me an idea of adsl2+ speed if we upgrade

thanks in advance
--
(•.(*•. .•*).•)
.••. Nik .••.
Old October 7th 11, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Ghostrecon wrote:
Unexpectedly got a notification that we are being upgraded to adsl 2+
currently get 8Meg - about 0.6km from exchange, anybody in a similar
position give me an idea of adsl2+ speed if we upgrade

thanks in advance

I saw about 14meg in a similar installation.

If you get 4.5 its always worth it..better uploads too.
Old October 8th 11, 09:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ghostrecon

On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 23:46:29 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Ghostrecon wrote:
Unexpectedly got a notification that we are being upgraded to adsl 2+
currently get 8Meg - about 0.6km from exchange, anybody in a similar
position give me an idea of adsl2+ speed if we upgrade

thanks in advance

I saw about 14meg in a similar installation.

If you get 4.5 its always worth it..better uploads too.

thanks - that seems worthwhile - equipment switch is not until the 19th so
will let folks know how it goes
--
(•.(*•. .•*).•)
.••. Nik .••.
Old October 8th 11, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

Ghostrecon wrote:
Unexpectedly got a notification that we are being upgraded to adsl 2+
currently get 8Meg - about 0.6km from exchange, anybody in a similar
position give me an idea of adsl2+ speed if we upgrade

thanks in advance

I saw about 14meg in a similar installation.

If you get 4.5 its always worth it..better uploads too.

thanks - that seems worthwhile - equipment switch is not until the 19th so
will let folks know how it goes

It's well worth "taking stock" of your house wiring at this point to
maximise the potential - e.g. good quality fitered faceplate, keep the
modem/router as close to the master socket as possible and run Cat5,
etc.

I've just done an install for a client who're probably a little further
from the exchange than you, and they're getting just over 16Mb/sec.

Gordon
Old October 8th 11, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wibble

"Ghostrecon" wrote in message
Unexpectedly got a notification that we are being upgraded to adsl 2+
currently get 8Meg - about 0.6km from exchange, anybody in a similar
position give me an idea of adsl2+ speed if we upgrade

They've just changed me to adsl2+

I am approx 4km from the exchange and was getting approx 3.5 meg download
and approx .5 meg upload

Now I get 3.8 meg down and just over 1 meg upload

Old October 8th 11, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 08/10/2011 15:17, Wibble wrote:
wrote in message
Unexpectedly got a notification that we are being upgraded to adsl 2+
currently get 8Meg - about 0.6km from exchange, anybody in a similar
position give me an idea of adsl2+ speed if we upgrade

They've just changed me to adsl2+

I am approx 4km from the exchange and was getting approx 3.5 meg download
and approx .5 meg upload

Now I get 3.8 meg down and just over 1 meg upload

That's probably about right.
ADSL2+ only gives a good improvement if you're already getting a good
speed, which is a bummer but true.

Check your router stats and find your downstream attenuation figure.
Then go to: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php and input it
in the first box and click "calculate". It will then give an estimate of
your line length and what speeds you're likely to get.

I suspect that your results might well be similar to mine, as follows
Attenuation = 56.5dB
Estimated line length = 4.1Km
ADSL Max speed (current) = 3424
ADSL2+ forecast for that attenuation = 3712.
A slight improvement but not a lot!

You'll not be able to change your attenuation by much, if at all, as
this is directly related to line length.

To see how things change feed in a couple of fictitious (better)
attenuation figures and you'll see that the lower the attenuation, the
higher the speed.

For instance, an attenuation figure of 40dB would give a "before" figure
of 6976 and after at 9024.
A 30dB attenuation would result in a "before" speed of 7904 and
afterwards at 15264.

George
Old October 8th 11, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ghostrecon

wrote in message
[...]

thanks - my attenuation is 23Db which gives a line length of 1.7 km dsl
speeds of 8128 profile of 7150 both of which is consistent with current
adsl - it predicts 19168 and an ip profile o 16000 - we'll see how good the
predictions are - it also says on that site that attenuation figures on
adsl2+ can be 3-4db higher which would bring the profile down to 15000 -
still a doubling if true ....
--
(•.(*•. .•*).•)
.••. Nik .••.
Old October 8th 11, 07:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ghostrecon

On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 09:53:39 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson wrote:

Ghostrecon wrote:
Unexpectedly got a notification that we are being upgraded to adsl 2+
currently get 8Meg - about 0.6km from exchange, anybody in a similar
position give me an idea of adsl2+ speed if we upgrade

thanks in advance
I saw about 14meg in a similar installation.

If you get 4.5 its always worth it..better uploads too.

thanks - that seems worthwhile - equipment switch is not until the 19th so
will let folks know how it goes

It's well worth "taking stock" of your house wiring at this point to
maximise the potential - e.g. good quality fitered faceplate, keep the
modem/router as close to the master socket as possible and run Cat5,
etc.

I've just done an install for a client who're probably a little further
from the exchange than you, and they're getting just over 16Mb/sec.

Gordon

cheers - I dont reckon I can do much more on this front - already have
split faceplate - modem is 0.5 m from socket, it feeds wireless/wired
routers for computer(s)/wii/android/ppc access - all NATed and 4 unNATed
address for xboxes - all the wiring is cat5e solid core to faceplates and
24 way distribution panel in the loft - and only a few devices use the
wireless
--
(•.(*•. .•*).•)
.••. Nik .••.
Old October 9th 11, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hugo Nebula

[Default] On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 18:58:50 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
Ghostrecon , randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

thanks - my attenuation is 23Db which gives a line length of 1.7 km dsl
speeds of 8128 profile of 7150 both of which is consistent with current
adsl - it predicts 19168 and an ip profile o 16000 - we'll see how good the
predictions are - it also says on that site that attenuation figures on
adsl2+ can be 3-4db higher which would bring the profile down to 15000 -
still a doubling if true ....

No need to rub it in! Do you stand two feet back from the urinals too?
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?
Old October 9th 11, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ghostrecon

On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 12:53:21 +0100, Hugo Nebula wrote:

[Default] On Sat, 8 Oct 2011 18:58:50 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,
Ghostrecon , randomly hit the keyboard and wrote:

thanks - my attenuation is 23Db which gives a line length of 1.7 km dsl
speeds of 8128 profile of 7150 both of which is consistent with current
adsl - it predicts 19168 and an ip profile o 16000 - we'll see how good the
predictions are - it also says on that site that attenuation figures on
adsl2+ can be 3-4db higher which would bring the profile down to 15000 -
still a doubling if true ....

No need to rub it in! Do you stand two feet back from the urinals too?

sorry :-(
--