Which ISP for FTTC ?

Old October 9th 11, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

Default Which ISP for FTTC ?

My exchange has just been enabled for FTTC :-)
I'm currently getting my ADSL2+ from Be (with a sync speed of 5Mb/s
and thus a typical download speed of 4Mb/s), and the ISP FTTC speed
checkers are estimating 12Mb/s download speed. With a difference
like that, I don't think I can afford not to upgrade.

Looking at Be's blog
(http://blog.bethere.co.uk/2011/09/update-on-fibre.html) their
timescales for fibre are just slipping more and more, so it
looks like it's time to jump ship.

Who's good for FTTC ? I've looked at Plusnet, ADSL24, and
IDNet so far. I need a single static IPv4 address (a block of
IPv6 addresses would be nice), no port blocking, and inbound
pings to not be blocked (for f8lure and HE IPv6 tunnelling).
I'm at home using t'internet during the day, which rather rules out
going with Andrews and Arnold :-(
Oh, and my phone line is WLR3'd with Be, so I'd like my new ISP to
offer WLR3 as well.
Old October 9th 11, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Andrew Benham wrote:
[...]

I give IDNET 10 for raw performance and no traffic shaping, 9 on cost
and about 8 on support.
Old October 9th 11, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

I give IDNET 10 for raw performance and no traffic shaping, 9 on cost and
about 8 on support.

Just looked at their Web site and enquired they offered me - You can migrate
to 6Mb* IDNet ADSL2+
I get over double that from Be now with no download limit. Looks like they
have limits on IDNET.

As regards FTTC they say - Your exchange is not yet scheduled to be upgraded
to Fibre Broadband
But Sam knows tells me FTTC is 01/12/2011, and new cabinets are appearing in
my area.

Regards
David

Old October 9th 11, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rousseau

David wrote:

I give IDNET 10 for raw performance and no traffic shaping, 9 on cost and
about 8 on support.

Just looked at their Web site and enquired they offered me - You can
migrate to 6Mb* IDNet ADSL2+
I get over double that from Be now with no download limit. Looks like
they have limits on IDNET.

As regards FTTC they say - Your exchange is not yet scheduled to be
upgraded to Fibre Broadband
But Sam knows tells me FTTC is 01/12/2011, and new cabinets are appearing
in my area.

Looks like they need to update their pages. They list 'June 2011' and
'September 2011' as if they are in the future, and then lists '2011 No
confirmed dates',when we already have 'confirmed' dates for 2012. Our
exchange is down as December too, but you wouldn't know it looking at those
dates.
Old October 9th 11, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

Who's good for FTTC ? I've looked at Plusnet, ADSL24, and
IDNet so far. I need a single static IPv4 address (a block of
IPv6 addresses would be nice), no port blocking, and inbound
pings to not be blocked (for f8lure and HE IPv6 tunnelling).
I'm at home using t'internet during the day, which rather rules out
going with Andrews and Arnold :-(
Oh, and my phone line is WLR3'd with Be, so I'd like my new ISP to
offer WLR3 as well.

I give IDNET 10 for raw performance and no traffic shaping, 9 on cost
and about 8 on support.

With Idnet I've noticed a bit of a slow down after 12:00 midnight when
the off peak period starts, apart from that it appears to be OK. BT line
checker suggested I would get 14.2 Mb/s I actually get a steady 36-37
Mb/s down 8 Mb/s up.

Idnet do offer a static IPv4 and a block of IPv6, not that I managed to
get IPv6 to work with my DD-WRT router (cause unknown, quite possibly my
ineptitude at setting up the router).

The Idnet bandwidth limit requires a bit of care, I'm on 50 GB/month.

I understand it is sad to leave Be as they were brilliant but as someone
with a 5Mb/s ADSL 2+ line for me they couldn't compete with FTTC.
Old October 10th 11, 12:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

David wrote:

I give IDNET 10 for raw performance and no traffic shaping, 9 on cost
and about 8 on support.

Just looked at their Web site and enquired they offered me - You can
migrate to 6Mb* IDNet ADSL2+
I get over double that from Be now with no download limit. Looks like
they have limits on IDNET.

well yes, you buy a package, and if you go over the limnt, they charge
1 a GB IIRC.

But I use the net all day and I dont exceed the 30Gb/60GB off peak limits.

As regards FTTC they say - Your exchange is not yet scheduled to be
upgraded to Fibre Broadband
But Sam knows tells me FTTC is 01/12/2011, and new cabinets are
appearing in my area.

Then wait till it arrives then contact them.

Regards
David

Old October 10th 11, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On 09/10/11 21:28, David wrote:

As regards FTTC they say - Your exchange is not yet scheduled to be
upgraded to Fibre Broadband
But Sam knows tells me FTTC is 01/12/2011, and new cabinets are
appearing in my area.

The roll-out information needs to be taken with a large pinch of salt.
My line went straight from "exchange not not yet scheduled to be
upgraded" to "service available".

BT's coverage map *today* shows my exchange (Winchmore Hill in London)
will go live for FTTC on 31 December 2011, but the availability
checker tells me it's available on my line right now :-o