Fritz box 7270 OR Draytek 2830VN

Old October 11th 11, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default Fritz box 7270 OR Draytek 2830VN

Simple question really I'm thinking of a new router to replace my Draytek
2600VG and looking at either a Fritz box 7270 or a Draytek 2830Vn both have
similar features, they Draytek has the option of a 3G dongle but much the
same

Any ideas ?

Dave.

Old October 11th 11, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jono

Dave submitted this idea :
Simple question really I'm thinking of a new router to replace my Draytek
2600VG and looking at either a Fritz box 7270 or a Draytek 2830Vn both have
similar features, they Draytek has the option of a 3G dongle but much the
same

Any ideas ?

Dave.

Do you need the VoIP features?

Old October 11th 11, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"Jono" wrote in message
. ..
Dave submitted this idea :
Simple question really I'm thinking of a new router to replace my Draytek
2600VG and looking at either a Fritz box 7270 or a Draytek 2830Vn both
have similar features, they Draytek has the option of a 3G dongle but
much the same

Any ideas ?

Dave.

Do you need the VoIP features?

Yes, have it on my Draytek 2600VG, what were you thinking?.

Old October 11th 11, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Dave wrote:
Simple question really I'm thinking of a new router to replace my Draytek
2600VG and looking at either a Fritz box 7270 or a Draytek 2830Vn both have
similar features, they Draytek has the option of a 3G dongle but much the
same

Any ideas ?

I recently replaced a Draytek 2800G with a Belkin F5D8636, purchased in PC
World, since when my ADSL2+ connection speed has more than doubled from about
4.5Mb/s to 11.033Mb/s. Considerably cheaper too. And the lights are blue.

Rod.
--
Virtual Access V6.3 free usenet/email software from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtual-access/

Old October 11th 11, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Hayes

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 17:34:07 +0100, Dave wrote:

Simple question really I'm thinking of a new router to replace my
Draytek 2600VG and looking at either a Fritz box 7270 or a Draytek
2830Vn both have similar features, they Draytek has the option of a 3G
dongle but much the same

Any ideas ?

Dave.

Be warned: the 2830Vn can't pass BT-style caller display from the PSTN
line to the phones.

When it detects ringing on the PSTN line, it drops a relay so the phones
connect directly to the line. Great: no echo or other quality issues and
fine with most caller display standards but much too late for the BT one.

I don't know about the Fritz but would be surprised if it has this
problem.

--
Steve Hayes, South Wales, UK - remove colours from address
Old October 12th 11, 11:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Dave" wrote in message ...
Simple question really I'm thinking of a new router to replace my Draytek
2600VG and looking at either a Fritz box 7270 or a Draytek 2830Vn both
have similar features, they Draytek has the option of a 3G dongle but much
the same

Any ideas ?

Dave.

Both good. We recently installed the Draytek at the office on cable
(Virgin) and ADSL (BT), tried most things, but not [yet] the fallback to 3G
using a dongle.

The only other niggle is that it can't doe 2.4 and 5GHz wi-fi at the same
time (might be fixed by a firmware upgrade) and the Fritzbox can.

Old October 12th 11, 11:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

Default Fritz box 7270 OR Draytek 2830VN Updae

"Dave" wrote in message ...
Simple question really I'm thinking of a new router to replace my Draytek
2600VG and looking at either a Fritz box 7270 or a Draytek 2830Vn both
have
similar features, they Draytek has the option of a 3G dongle but much the
same

Any ideas ?

Dave.

Further to last comparison review in the latest edition of PC-Pro

Old October 13th 11, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message ...
Simple question really I'm thinking of a new router to replace my Draytek
2600VG and looking at either a Fritz box 7270 or a Draytek 2830Vn both
have similar features, they Draytek has the option of a 3G dongle but much
the same

Any ideas ?

Dave.

Both good. We recently installed the Draytek at the office on cable
(Virgin) and ADSL (BT), tried most things, but not [yet] the fallback to 3G
using a dongle.

Why do most routers like this have a USB dongle rather than having the
SIM plugged in directly? The interface on USB 3G dongles *isn't* the
same for all so the router software (or the Laptop software if it's
plugged into that) has to adapt itself to the particular dongle - and
there are always some dongles that don't work in some hardware.

I spent a while choosing my 3G router and have one where the SIM plugs
into the router directly. I believe that the SIM interface is much
better defined, certainly my router has been quite happy with SIMs
from a number of different UK and European mobile providers.

It's a pity the 'better' router manufacturers don't make routers into
which the SIM plugs directly.

--
Chris Green
Old October 13th 11, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

wrote:
R. Mark wrote:

wrote in message ...
[...]

I suspect primarily because the USB dongle doesn't get a signal unless
it hangs out of a window on a 5 metre cable.

The correct approach would be to have a waterproof 3G receiver with an
Ethernet port, built to use Power over Ethernet. Then have a PoE port
available on the router for its connection.

I've not found such a product, despite looking ...

That way the 3G receiver could be placed on top of a 100 foot pole, if
necessary, where it would stand a sporting chance of getting a signal;
because let's face it, you only want this sort of backup in a rural area
where the ADSL is unreliable, in the first place!

--
Graham J