Outages

Old October 13th 11, 03:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

Default Outages

If it wasn't bad enough with the pikeys stealing BT's copper cable, Virgin have
suffered problems with their fibre being scoffed by rats up in Jockland.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10..._downs_virgin/

Old October 13th 11, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Wolstenholme

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 02:27:37 +0100, Jon wrote:

If it wasn't bad enough with the pikeys stealing BT's copper cable, Virgin have
suffered problems with their fibre being scoffed by rats up in Jockland.

About 20 years ago I was investigating the failure of a fibre optic
connection between two computers. The cable looked as if it had been
chewed. When I told the company that were responsibly for the cable
the reply was something about f...ing rats. I did not believe rats
would damage fibre optic but it seems at least one rat has got the
taste for glass!

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. www.npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com

Old October 13th 11, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 10:26:58 +0100
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 02:27:37 +0100, Jon wrote:

If it wasn't bad enough with the pikeys stealing BT's copper cable,
Virgin have suffered problems with their fibre being scoffed by rats
up in Jockland.

About 20 years ago I was investigating the failure of a fibre optic
connection between two computers. The cable looked as if it had been
chewed. When I told the company that were responsibly for the cable
the reply was something about f...ing rats. I did not believe rats
would damage fibre optic but it seems at least one rat has got the
taste for glass!

Steve

Now, if only fibre-optic material retained some of the light
bouncing around inside even after it was disconnected, then we would
have rats that glowed in the dark. Spooky.
--
Davey.
Old October 13th 11, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 13/10/2011 02:27, Jon wrote:

If it wasn't bad enough with the pikeys stealing BT's copper cable, Virgin have
suffered problems with their fibre being scoffed by rats up in Jockland.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10..._downs_virgin/

Clearly Virgin made the mistake of installing deep-fried,
chocolate-coated fibre...
;-)

George
Old October 13th 11, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

George Weston wrote:
On 13/10/2011 02:27, Jon wrote:

If it wasn't bad enough with the pikeys stealing BT's copper cable,
Virgin have
suffered problems with their fibre being scoffed by rats up in Jockland.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10..._downs_virgin/

Clearly Virgin made the mistake of installing deep-fried,
chocolate-coated fibre...
;-)

George

Whe I were working on the software of a submarine fiber repeater, they
story was that the insulation round the cables tasted like chocolate to
sharks...

...the newer cables were sheathed in something else..
Old October 13th 11, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 12:34:33 +0100
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

George Weston wrote:
On 13/10/2011 02:27, Jon wrote:

If it wasn't bad enough with the pikeys stealing BT's copper
cable, Virgin have
suffered problems with their fibre being scoffed by rats up in
Jockland.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10..._downs_virgin/

Clearly Virgin made the mistake of installing deep-fried,
chocolate-coated fibre...
;-)

George

Whe I were working on the software of a submarine fiber repeater,
they story was that the insulation round the cables tasted like
chocolate to sharks...

..the newer cables were sheathed in something else..

Ok. Who talked to the sharks to find out what chocolate was to them?
--
Davey.
Old October 13th 11, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

George Weston wrote:
On 13/10/2011 02:27, Jon wrote:
If it wasn't bad enough with the pikeys stealing BT's copper
cable, Virgin have
suffered problems with their fibre being scoffed by rats up in
Jockland.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10..._downs_virgin/

Clearly Virgin made the mistake of installing deep-fried,
chocolate-coated fibre...
;-)

George

Whe I were working on the software of a submarine fiber repeater,
they story was that the insulation round the cables tasted like
chocolate to sharks...

..the newer cables were sheathed in something else..

Ok. Who talked to the sharks to find out what chocolate was to them?

I was never told ;-)
Old October 13th 11, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Champ

Ok. Who talked to the sharks to find out what chocolate was to them?

I was never told ;-)

Sorry to ruin a good story, but I heard it was due to them being
sensitive to electric fields.

Andy
Old October 13th 11, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

Andy Champ wrote...

Ok. Who talked to the sharks to find out what chocolate was to them?

I was never told ;-)

Sorry to ruin a good story, but I heard it was due to them being
sensitive to electric fields.

Didn't that knowledge lead to the US using dolphins to find submarines ?

Old October 14th 11, 12:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

Andy Champ wrote...

http://www.spawar.navy.mil/sti/publi...evd/intro.html

--