Sonicwall TZ100 and Ipad SSL VPN - does it work?

Old October 13th 11, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Default Sonicwall TZ100 and Ipad SSL VPN - does it work?

Sonicwall do not reply to questions, except via their forum and the
access to that is done using a product serial number

Their FAQ says
http://www.sonicwall.com/us/support/...ord=i pad+vpn

Overview / Scenario:

User will connect to the SonicWALL SSL-VPN portal from IPad and tries to launch bookmarks like RDP, VNC, fileshare, Citrix...etc, but will fail to connect. Generally, all MAC Desktops or Laptops use Java as they do not provision ActiveX component on their browsers. In this case of IPad, Apple does not support Java and hence we get an error while trying to access any of the services which is mentioned above. The access will be limited only to URL resources.

Again, please do note that Apple DOES NOT provision Java on IPad and since there is no alternative, we will not be able to launch the above-mentioned services.

Workaround/Resolution: Not Available as Apple does not support Java on IPad.

I do not understand what that means.

At the simplest, a VPN gives you (at the client) a network connection
(an IP).

Applications like RDP (I am interested only in RDP, or also
PC/Anywhere if the client is a windoze XP laptop) just connect to that
IP.

What does lack of Java got to do with that?

If one could not use RDP with the Ipad SSL VPN, what is the point of
products like this
http://www.mochasoft.dk/iphone_rdp.htm
Old October 13th 11, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Peter wrote:
[...]

It appears a java app is involved in the connecting process.

Old October 13th 11, 10:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Peter (for it is he) wrote:

User will connect to the SonicWALL SSL-VPN portal from IPad and tries to
launch bookmarks like RDP, VNC, fileshare, Citrix...etc, but will fail to
connect.

I do not understand what that means.

At the simplest, a VPN gives you (at the client) a network connection
(an IP).

The SSL VPN portal is a web interface one logs into. The applet on the web
page speaks to the SSL VPN device, the SSL VPN device speaks to the LAN.
Various protocols [eg RDP, CIFS/SMB, etc] are supported. This is /not/ an
SSL VPN client. It's a web page you log into with some applets on it. SSL
VPN portal is not the same as an SSL VPN client.

Applications like RDP (I am interested only in RDP, or also
PC/Anywhere if the client is a windoze XP laptop) just connect to that
IP.

What does lack of Java got to do with that?

There's a Java RDP applet on the web interface. There's a Java front end for
the SSL VPN client. Neither will work on platforms without Java. But it's
not the end of the world, just use the iOS VPN client, and use native apps
once the VPN is connected.

If one could not use RDP with the Ipad SSL VPN, what is the point of
products like this
http://www.mochasoft.dk/iphone_rdp.htm

If you've got wifi access or a VPN client connection to the network you want
to RDP to, you'd use that.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
22:06:00 up 27 days, 3:19, 6 users, load average: 0.08, 0.11, 0.13