A different ADSL2+ speed question

Old October 13th 11, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

Default A different ADSL2+ speed question

Having just been switched over to ADSL2+ I was just wondering how long
before I actually see the speed increase? I happened to be online the
other day when Firefox said that it couldn't open the web page so I
glanced at the router lights and found that both DSL and Internet lights
had gone out. About 5 minutes later everything came back up. Previous to
that the details had been:

DSL Mode: G.DMT
DSL Channel: INTR
DSL Upstream Rate: 448
DSL Downstream Rate: 8128
DSL Noise Margin: Down 9.1dB Up 25.0dB
DSL Attenuation: Down 37.0dB Up 23.0dB
DSL Transmit Power: Down 19.8dBm Up 12.3dBm

Since 16.30 on Tuesday 11/10/11 it has been:

DSL Mode: ADSL2+
DSL Channel: FAST
DSL Upstream Rate: 445
DSL Downstream Rate: 8124
DSL Noise Margin: Down 12.8dB Up 18.6dB
DSL Attenuation: Down 40.0dB Up 21.1dB
DSL Transmit Power: Down 20.9dBm Up 12.2dBm

I usually leave my router (a Linksys WAG325N) on 24/7 and I know that it
can take up to 10 days for the line to stabilise, but I thought it
should be creeping up to the new higher speeds by now?

TIA
Old October 13th 11, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

"Dave" wrote in message
m...

[...]

You'll need to reboot the router to allow it to negotiate a higher speed.
It won't just happen.

--

WCZ

Old October 13th 11, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

In article ,
says...

"Dave" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Thanks, I'll do that right now then! ;o)
Old October 13th 11, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ghostrecon

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 16:03:24 +0100, Dave wrote:

In article ,
says...

"Dave" wrote in message
m...

[...]

and the result??? (interested because mine is happening next week)
--
(•.(*•. .•*).•)
.••. Nik .••.
Old October 13th 11, 05:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Dave wrote:

[...]

That looks like ADSL 1 to me. Are you sure its set to ADSL2 or
auto-negotiate?
Old October 13th 11, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

In article ,
says...

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 16:03:24 +0100, Dave wrote:

In article ,

says...

"Dave" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Nothing at all - but see my reply to The Natural Philosopher for more
detail
Old October 13th 11, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

In article , lid says...

Dave wrote:

[...]

Well, I powered it down for about 45 minutes-ish and there was no change
when I reconnected. Then I saw your post and when I looked it was set to
"Multimode", which I'm guessing is actually 'auto-negotiate', so I then
tried manually selecting ADSL2+, reboot, no change, and then ADSL2+ M,
reboot, no change.

However, I'm now beginning to wonder if this router is actually ADSL2+
compliant because I've just discovered this line of text:

"DSL Driver Version: AnnexA version - A2pB022g.d20e"

Should I be suspicious of that "Annex A" ?
Old October 13th 11, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Dave wrote:

However, I'm now beginning to wonder if this router is actually ADSL2+
compliant because I've just discovered this line of text:

"DSL Driver Version: AnnexA version - A2pB022g.d20e"

Should I be suspicious of that "Annex A" ?

No. That's correct.

However, it's also possible that your ISP has forced the speed to be
that. Maybe you need to ask to be moved to the higher speeds?

Gordon
Old October 13th 11, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

In article ,
says...

In article ,
Dave wrote:

However, I'm now beginning to wonder if this router is actually ADSL2+
compliant because I've just discovered this line of text:

"DSL Driver Version: AnnexA version - A2pB022g.d20e"

Should I be suspicious of that "Annex A" ?

No. That's correct.

However, it's also possible that your ISP has forced the speed to be
that. Maybe you need to ask to be moved to the higher speeds?

Gordon

Hmm, I suppose that's possible, hadn't thought of that. I just assumed
that as the router had picked up the changes from the exchange equipment
that higher speeds would just 'naturally' follow.
Old October 13th 11, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ghostrecon

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 18:10:26 +0100, Dave wrote:

In article ,
says...

In article ,
Dave wrote:

However, I'm now beginning to wonder if this router is actually ADSL2+
compliant because I've just discovered this line of text:

"DSL Driver Version: AnnexA version - A2pB022g.d20e"

Should I be suspicious of that "Annex A" ?

No. That's correct.

However, it's also possible that your ISP has forced the speed to be
that. Maybe you need to ask to be moved to the higher speeds?

Gordon

Hmm, I suppose that's possible, hadn't thought of that. I just assumed
that as the router had picked up the changes from the exchange equipment
that higher speeds would just 'naturally' follow.

got an email from my isp which linked to this

"After you move is completed we will contact you again to invite you to
upgrade your existing service to our "up to 20Mbps" broadband service. This
is a simple online process that you can activate at any time through our
customer portal and will not interrupt your service."

so guess you have similar ....
--