Router that allows NAT and NO NAT on different ports

Old October 13th 11, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ghostrecon

Default Router that allows NAT and NO NAT on different ports

Hi Folks

I currently have a broadband modem/router and 5 other routers and wonder if
its possible to replace some of them to reduce energy costs ....

Currently I have 5 ususable i/p addresses a netgear dg834v4 acts as a dchp
server to handout these out to 4 xboxes (no combination of dmz or any other
setting allowed No Nat connections to xbox live for these) and a NETGEAR
WGR614v10 which acts as a dchp server to the internal network this handles
a couple of wireless connections and 6 hardwired computers This is the
internal DCHP server)(mine and the kids - not all here all the time), a
media server, a Currentcost bridge and samsung printer(it does this through
2 old netgears just used as switches)

What I really could do with is a router that would act as a DCHP server and
hand out the wan address to xboxes by mac and internal addresses to
everything else - would be handy if it had 8 network ports as well - I
could then get away with 2 routers one downstair and one in the loft

any ideas
--
(•.(*•. .•*).•)
.••. Nik .••.
Old October 13th 11, 05:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ghostrecon

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 17:36:51 +0100, Ghostrecon wrote:

[...]

topology similar to this

http://www.zen107481.zen.co.uk/nettop3.jpg

--
(•.(*•. .•*).•)
.••. Nik .••.
Old October 13th 11, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris A

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 17:36:51 +0100, Ghostrecon wrote:

What I really could do with is a router that would act as a DCHP server and
hand out the wan address to xboxes by mac and internal addresses to
everything else

Vigor 2820 & 2830 can both do that, however I've never bothered
DHCPing the public IPs.

Old October 14th 11, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 19:06:53 +0100, Chris A
wrote:

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 17:36:51 +0100, Ghostrecon wrote:

What I really could do with is a router that would act as a DCHP server and
hand out the wan address to xboxes by mac and internal addresses to
everything else

Vigor 2820 & 2830 can both do that, however I've never bothered
DHCPing the public IPs.

IIRC XBOXs won't do static IP addresses. I only have one XBOX but it
works fine on NAT though.
--
(\__/) M.

Old October 14th 11, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ghostrecon

wrote:

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 17:36:51 +0100, Ghostrecon wrote:

What I really could do with is a router that would act as a DCHP server and
hand out the wan address to xboxes by mac and internal addresses to
everything else

Vigor 2820 & 2830 can both do that, however I've never bothered
DHCPing the public IPs.

IIRC XBOXs won't do static IP addresses. I only have one XBOX but it
works fine on NAT though.

one works fine but as soon as more are added we get problems through a
NAT'ed connection (cant get matches etc - its so long since we had problems
I ct remember the terms used in MW2 black ops etc)- they all work fine on
the current topology I'm just trying to reduce the power requirements with
the number of routers/witches -
I'm pretty sure I have had mine on static i/ps through system settings
network .... etc but my primary router just hands out dchp leases based on
reserve addresses anyway
--
(•.(*•. .•*).•)
.••. Nik .••.
Old October 14th 11, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Gabriel

wrote:

[...]

I setup a ZyXEL router with 4 port ethernet and WiFi access point
(P660HWD T1) to do something like this. Again, 5 real addresses
were allocated. I think I had 1-to-1 NAT mappings for about 3 of
them onto the internal LAN, and then just NAT'ed everything else
onto the 4th real IP, and one was unused. It can do DHCP for
static IP's based on ethernet address and dynamic for the rest.

This was about 2 years ago - don't know if it's still available.
It came from Andres+Arnold. They still list a similar but not
identical model number, "until stocks exhausted".

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old October 16th 11, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 21:57:29 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

wrote:

[...]

IIRC, one of the application notes for the Speedtouch TG585 is about
splitting the ethernet ports between NAT and unNATed. Certainly the
4 ethernet ports can be separated, which isn't the case with many
consumer-grade modem/routers.

Old October 17th 11, 03:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ghostrecon

wrote:

[...]

thanks for the replies - I keep looking for the manuals for these to see
exactly whats offered but keep ending up on those sites which want you to
register for manuals online :-(
--
(•.(*•. .•*).•)
.••. Nik .••.
Old October 17th 11, 04:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

wrote:

[...]

There's an example for the Thomson Speedtouch boxes at
http://npr.freei.me/basicdmz.html

I think all the application notes are on their "partner" website for
which one needs a login. I know I used to have a login, I wonder if
I have the details here and whether it still works ??

Having said this, I'm no fan of Speedtouches. One can probably do
anything and everything using the CLI, but the documentation is
just dreadful.