Microfilter question

Old October 16th 11, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

Default Microfilter question

Last night I was asked by a friend if an extra microfilter on the
phone socket would improve the broadband speed. I checked and there
is a microfilter at the master socket, feeding the router and the lead
running to the extension socket. There is no phone on the master
socket. That means the extension socket has a microfilter, albeit at
the master socket. The question I was asked was: would adding a
second microfilter between the extension socket and the phone be a
good idea?
Old October 16th 11, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Scott wrote:
Last night I was asked by a friend if an extra microfilter on the
phone socket would improve the broadband speed. I checked and there
is a microfilter at the master socket, feeding the router and the lead
running to the extension socket. There is no phone on the master
socket. That means the extension socket has a microfilter, albeit at
the master socket. The question I was asked was: would adding a
second microfilter between the extension socket and the phone be a
good idea?

No. The filter does nothing to the adsl signal, - it simply stops the
phone interfering with it.

I've tried two filter to reduce ADSL hiss on the phones..but it doesn't
do that either :-(
Old October 17th 11, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Denis McMahon

On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 10:08:39 +0100, Scott wrote:

Last night I was asked by a friend if an extra microfilter on the phone
socket would improve the broadband speed. I checked and there is a
microfilter at the master socket, feeding the router and the lead
running to the extension socket. There is no phone on the master
socket. That means the extension socket has a microfilter, albeit at
the master socket. The question I was asked was: would adding a second
microfilter between the extension socket and the phone be a good idea?

So the extension socket is already filtered? Remember that the primary
purpose of a microfilter is to prevent the HF adsl signal interfering
with the telephone, and a secondary function is to prevent any spurious
HF noise generated by the telephone interfering with the adsl equipment.
Unless you have some evidence that either of these interferences is
happening, I doubt that adding a second microfilter in series (ok,
technically it would be a series - parallel arrangement) with the first
would have any beneficial effect.

Rgds

Denis McMahon
Old October 17th 11, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Denis McMahon wrote:
On Sun, 16 Oct 2011 10:08:39 +0100, Scott wrote:

Last night I was asked by a friend if an extra microfilter on the phone
socket would improve the broadband speed. I checked and there is a
microfilter at the master socket, feeding the router and the lead
running to the extension socket. There is no phone on the master
socket. That means the extension socket has a microfilter, albeit at
the master socket. The question I was asked was: would adding a second
microfilter between the extension socket and the phone be a good idea?

So the extension socket is already filtered? Remember that the primary
purpose of a microfilter is to prevent the HF adsl signal interfering
with the telephone

No.
The primary purpose is to prevent the telephone shorting out the ADSL
signals.

, and a secondary function is to prevent any spurious
HF noise generated by the telephone interfering with the adsl equipment.

No. Not really. That's a by product but it actually doesn't do that good
a job..