Sam Knows Whitebox

Old October 18th 11, 12:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

Default Sam Knows Whitebox

http://www.samknows.eu/index.php/en/guides/installation

Anyone (else) applied for one?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old October 18th 11, 07:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Nice

"Graham." wrote in message

http://www.samknows.eu/index.php/en/guides/installation

Anyone (else) applied for one?

Yep

John

Old October 18th 11, 09:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 00:57:33 +0100, Graham. wrote:

http://www.samknows.eu/index.php/en/guides/installation

Anyone (else) applied for one?

Nope. I have one of these...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old October 18th 11, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 08:27:45 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 00:57:33 +0100, Graham. wrote:

http://www.samknows.eu/index.php/en/guides/installation

Anyone (else) applied for one?

Nope. I have one of these...

Oops...I meant:

http://atlas.ripe.net/

Old October 18th 11, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article ,
Graham. wrote:
http://www.samknows.eu/index.php/en/guides/installation

Anyone (else) applied for one?

Quote from web page-
"We have designed the Whitebox so that it is quick and easy to install.
Take a look at the instructions and video below. Once your Whitebox is
plugged in we will send you an email so you can access your broadband
analytics".

I can't help wondering if the people who are at such a level of
ignorance that they need a video presentation to show them how to take
something out of its cardboard box would have any idea what "broadband
analytics" might mean.

Rod.
--
Virtual Access V6.3 free usenet/email software from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/virtual-access/

Old October 18th 11, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

In message en.co.uk,
Roderick Stewart writes
In article ,
Graham. wrote:
http://www.samknows.eu/index.php/en/guides/installation

Anyone (else) applied for one?

Quote from web page-
"We have designed the Whitebox so that it is quick and easy to install.
Take a look at the instructions and video below. Once your Whitebox is
plugged in we will send you an email so you can access your broadband
analytics".

I can't help wondering if the people who are at such a level of
ignorance that they need a video presentation to show them how to take
something out of its cardboard box would have any idea what "broadband
analytics" might mean.

Rod.

But the boxes are not really meant for the user - the analytics provided
are just a carrot to get the boxes onto as many BB links as possible, so
that the statistics collected are as representative as possible.

Actually strikes me as an example of decent sampling methodology design.
If you only got boxes to people who had sufficient competence with BB to
be able to do it unaided, then your sample would potentially be biased.
Those with the competence will be the same people who have tweaked their
internal wiring, removed the ring wire etc to maximise performance.That
will bias the results upwards.

Actually the graph lines from my box are so straight flat and boring I
have really stopped looking.
--
Invalid
Old October 18th 11, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Invalid" wrote in message
In message
en.co.uk,
Roderick Stewart
writes
In article
,
Graham. wrote:
[...]

Did anyone notice the small print? The box downloads 3Gb and
uploads 1Gb per month!!!!

Can't help wondering what effect that will have on traffic
shaping and deep packet inspection?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old October 19th 11, 07:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

"Woody" considered Tue, 18 Oct 2011
20:08:58 +0100 the perfect time to write:

"Invalid" wrote in message
In message
en.co.uk,
Roderick Stewart
writes
In article
,
Graham. wrote:
[...]

That's only 3% of my monthly allowance, and if it's getting tight at
the end of the month (only ever happened once) I can turn it off for a
while.
Old October 19th 11, 04:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

Bob Eager wrote:
Oops...I meant:

http://atlas.ripe.net/

Interesting. Do you get any kind of useful stats displayed from your
personal probe (via their graphing website) other than just the 'up since'
graph they display on their google map?

Theo
Old October 19th 11, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Theo Markettos wrote:
Bob wrote:
Oops...I meant:

http://atlas.ripe.net/

Interesting. Do you get any kind of useful stats displayed from your
personal probe (via their graphing website) other than just the 'up since'
graph they display on their google map?

I can't see the point of this.

We already know that the performance of ADSL depends on line length,
line quality, and the quality (or otherwise) of the wiring at the
customer's premises.

If you want to make an improvement that is potentially available to
everybody, you have to install a system which is designed from scratch
to meet a sensible specification.

--
Graham J