Hotmail question

Old October 20th 11, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Default Hotmail question

Trying to help a relation with Hotmail. This is with Outlook 2003.

Using the Hotmail website is so slow that it takes hours to read & reply
to one email.

Speedtests report about 3 mbits/sec reasnonably consistently.

Yesterday the settings:

smtp.live.com
no SPA
port 587
use SSL

.... all worked OK for sending messages.

Today they fail with different errors: server doesn't support the
protocol, can't communicate with server, etc.

Is this an inherent problem with Hotmail?

Is it worth setting up a new account with Gmail? Or is that just as bad?

--
Graham J
Old October 20th 11, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jon

Graham J wrote...

Trying to help a relation with Hotmail. This is with Outlook 2003.

Using the Hotmail website is so slow that it takes hours to read & reply
to one email.

Speedtests report about 3 mbits/sec reasnonably consistently.

Yesterday the settings:

smtp.live.com
no SPA
port 587
use SSL

... all worked OK for sending messages.

Today they fail with different errors: server doesn't support the
protocol, can't communicate with server, etc.

Is this an inherent problem with Hotmail?

Is it worth setting up a new account with Gmail? Or is that just as bad?

Hardly any problems with Gmail - gave up on Hotmail years back.

Old October 20th 11, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
UnsteadyKen

Graham J wrote...

Is it worth setting up a new account with Gmail? Or is that just as bad?

I've been using Gmail for my main email addresses since 2004 and cannot
remember having a single problem accessing either through the web
interface or using POP via Thunderbird. The spam filtering is near
faultless.

--
Ken O'Meara
http://www.btinternet.com/~unsteadyken/
Old October 20th 11, 11:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DC

On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 21:07:00 +0100, Graham J [email protected] wrote:

Trying to help a relation with Hotmail. This is with Outlook 2003.

Using the Hotmail website is so slow that it takes hours to read & reply
to one email.

Speedtests report about 3 mbits/sec reasnonably consistently.

Yesterday the settings:

smtp.live.com
no SPA
port 587
use SSL

Don't those settings conflict with:

http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/t...-settings.html
Old October 21st 11, 06:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GlowingBlueMist

On 10/20/2011 5:46 PM, DC wrote:
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 21:07:00 +0100, Graham [email protected] wrote:

Trying to help a relation with Hotmail. This is with Outlook 2003.

Using the Hotmail website is so slow that it takes hours to read& reply
to one email.

Speedtests report about 3 mbits/sec reasnonably consistently.

Yesterday the settings:

smtp.live.com
no SPA
port 587
use SSL

Don't those settings conflict with:

http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/t...-settings.html

Spot on DC.

I have been using those settings for years on my Hotmail account with no
problems. True I do have email accounts at many other locations for
diversity but not because of any problems with Hotmail.

Check the relations Email settings again and while assisting them try to
find out if they have an anti-virus + Email checking program running
like AVG. If so turn off the Email checking on the anti-virus program
until you get the Email working, then see about routing the mail through
the anti-virus system if they still want to use it.
Old October 21st 11, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 20/10/2011 21:51, UnsteadyKen wrote:

Graham J wrote...

Is it worth setting up a new account with Gmail? Or is that just as bad?

I've been using Gmail for my main email addresses since 2004 and cannot
remember having a single problem accessing either through the web
interface or using POP via Thunderbird. The spam filtering is near
faultless.

Agreed!
George
Old October 21st 11, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

DC wrote:
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 21:07:00 +0100, Graham [email protected] wrote:

Trying to help a relation with Hotmail. This is with Outlook 2003.

Using the Hotmail website is so slow that it takes hours to read& reply
to one email.

Speedtests report about 3 mbits/sec reasnonably consistently.

Yesterday the settings:

smtp.live.com
no SPA
port 587
use SSL

Don't those settings conflict with:

http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/t...-settings.html

Which says:

Hotmail Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) - smtp.live.com (TLS enabled, port 587)

But Outlook 2003 does not support TLS, never has done.

Until yesterday, Outlook 2003 did work OK with port 587 and SSL.

--
Graham J
Old October 22nd 11, 02:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
GlowingBlueMist

On 10/21/2011 5:01 PM, Graham J wrote:
DC wrote:
On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 21:07:00 +0100, Graham [email protected] wrote:

Trying to help a relation with Hotmail. This is with Outlook 2003.

Using the Hotmail website is so slow that it takes hours to read& reply
to one email.

Speedtests report about 3 mbits/sec reasnonably consistently.

Yesterday the settings:

smtp.live.com
no SPA
port 587
use SSL

Don't those settings conflict with:

http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/t...-settings.html

Which says:

Hotmail Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) - smtp.live.com (TLS enabled, port 587)

But Outlook 2003 does not support TLS, never has done.

Until yesterday, Outlook 2003 did work OK with port 587 and SSL.

If it worked yesterday and not today try using a system restore point
prior to when the problem started. Possibly one of those pesky updates
trashed things or something got past a filter and modified the settings.

I have since moved on to Thunderbird for my Email but was using the SSL
method and same port you show in the past. I believe those TLS examples
were for those using that extra program, Microsoft Outlook Connector,
along with Outlook.

Here is another link with possibly better examples depending on the
actual setup your relatives have.

http://email.about.com/od/outlooktip...in_Outlook.htm

At this stage I would try the restore point route first and see if that
fixes things faster than trying to fix it a part at a time. If it does
fix things, see if any Microsoft Updates are waiting to be installed.
If so, install them and see if the problem comes back again before you
call this "fixed".

Old November 9th 11, 02:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Terry

George Weston wrote:
On 20/10/2011 21:51, UnsteadyKen wrote:

Graham J wrote...

Is it worth setting up a new account with Gmail? Or is that just
as bad?

I've been using Gmail for my main email addresses since 2004 and
cannot remember having a single problem accessing either through the
web interface or using POP via Thunderbird. The spam filtering is
near faultless.

Agreed!
George

3rd'ed and Yahoo's Ymail as an close alternative to Gmail

I wouldn't give the time of day to hotmail

Steve Terry
--
Get a free GiffGaff PAYG Sim and 5 bonus after activation at:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gfourwwk