Draytek 120 modem - Sonicwall TZ100 router - cannot get WAN to connect

Old October 21st 11, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Default Draytek 120 modem - Sonicwall TZ100 router - cannot get WAN to connect

I have had the 120 running with a Draytek 2900 router for 1-2 years.

The 120 provides a PPPOE interface.

In the Draytek I have PPPOE enabled, with username and password set up
as appropriate (for ZEN), PPP is set to PPP/CHAP.

Under WAN IP network settings I have "specify an IP address" with an
IP address of 0.0.0.0 with a 0.0.0.0 subnet mask (which doesn't sound
right) but the "obtain automatically" which is the other option is
UNchecked. But this works.

I cannot find quite the equivalent settings in the TZ100. Under
General I set PPPOE, the username and password, and there are two
options for the IP (obtain automatically, or specify the IP) and I
have tried them both, with 0.0.0.0 in the latter case, but it doesn't
connect.

In the Advanced tab there are various things like Auto Negotiate.
There is also a MAC address config, which I recall from the D-Link 300
modem days *was* critical as you had to match the modem's MAC, but the
Vigor 120 doesn't seem to need this as I have two of them and can just
swap them over.

Google doesn't turn up anything...

Sonicwall provide some limited support but the login details they
emailed me don't work, even though I have confirmed the account
creation email

The rest of the router seems to configure easily enough using the
wizard, and apart from the two VPNs (site-site IPSEC, remote worker
PPTP) which will be complicated, I think it should just work.

Old October 21st 11, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ghostrecon

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 18:51:48 +0100, Peter wrote:

In the Draytek I have PPPOE enabled, with username and password set up
as appropriate (for ZEN), PPP is set to PPP/CHAP.

Under WAN IP network settings I have "specify an IP address" with an
IP address of 0.0.0.0 with a 0.0.0.0 subnet mask (which doesn't sound
right) but the "obtain automatically" which is the other option is
UNchecked. But this works.

I'd have thought for the modem it should be
PPPoA (vcmux)
wan I/p - obtain automatically
vci 38 vpi 0

--
(•.(*•. .•*).•)
.••. Nik .••.
Old October 21st 11, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Ghostrecon wrote

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 18:51:48 +0100, Peter wrote:

In the Draytek I have PPPOE enabled, with username and password set up
as appropriate (for ZEN), PPP is set to PPP/CHAP.

Under WAN IP network settings I have "specify an IP address" with an
IP address of 0.0.0.0 with a 0.0.0.0 subnet mask (which doesn't sound
right) but the "obtain automatically" which is the other option is
UNchecked. But this works.

I'd have thought for the modem it should be
PPPoA (vcmux)
wan I/p - obtain automatically
vci 38 vpi 0

I cracked it...

ZEN phone support is excellent.

Now I have a different issue. With a laptop plugged into the LAN port
(the one also used for the config) I can ping IPs, but cannot ping any
URL.

Yet the DHCP is enabled in the router, for both the LAN and the WIFI
interfaces.

There is a massive amount of other config, for the firewall, for
routing, etc. I am not sure where to start on this. However, I have
run the wizard for the basic config...

I wonder if anybody has any suggestions. It is just the TZ100W issue.
The ISP connects OK.
Old October 21st 11, 08:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ghostrecon

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 20:02:07 +0100, Peter wrote:

Ghostrecon wrote

[...]

after the modem has connected and the router gets its wan i/p do you get
primary dns as 212.23.3.100 and 212.23.6.100 ?.

what i/p's can you ping I assume its only the router i/p
--
(•.(*•. .•*).•)
.••. Nik .••.
Old October 21st 11, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Ghostrecon wrote:
On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 18:51:48 +0100, Peter wrote:

In the Draytek I have PPPOE enabled, with username and password set up
as appropriate (for ZEN), PPP is set to PPP/CHAP.

Under WAN IP network settings I have "specify an IP address" with an
IP address of 0.0.0.0 with a 0.0.0.0 subnet mask (which doesn't sound
right) but the "obtain automatically" which is the other option is
UNchecked. But this works.

I'd have thought for the modem it should be
PPPoA (vcmux)
wan I/p - obtain automatically
vci 38 vpi 0

The modem is, but the link between the modem and router is PPPoE.

Probably some confusion as the "120" is also a Draytek device. The 2900
is a Draytek with an Ethernet WAN port.

I do this regularly, but not with Sonicwalls, but directly into Linux
based routers.

And, oddly enough, some exchanges will work with the modem set to
PPPoE... I had one recently where the Vigor 120 was set to PPPoE and it
was working, but being disconnected once an hour like clockwork...

Gordon
Old October 21st 11, 08:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Ghostrecon wrote

after the modem has connected and the router gets its wan i/p do you get
primary dns as 212.23.3.100 and 212.23.6.100 ?.

Yes, I see those allocated by ZEN's DHCP server.

what i/p's can you ping I assume its only the router i/p

I can ping various external IPs.

But URLs time out. I have tried a few which I know one can ping; quite
a number of well known sites don't respond to pings.
Old October 21st 11, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ghostrecon

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 19:23:04 +0000 (UTC), Gordon Henderson wrote:

In article ,
Ghostrecon wrote:
[...]

yes it does work with pppoe encapsulation sometimes -

I was just trying to get the basic modem/isp connection to zen before
worrying about connection to the router ie breaking down the problem into
bite sizes....

--
(•.(*•. .•*).•)
.••. Nik .••.
Old October 21st 11, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ghostrecon

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 20:26:28 +0100, Peter wrote:

Ghostrecon wrote

after the modem has connected and the router gets its wan i/p do you get
primary dns as 212.23.3.100 and 212.23.6.100 ?.

Yes, I see those allocated by ZEN's DHCP server.

what i/p's can you ping I assume its only the router i/p

I can ping various external IPs.

But URLs time out. I have tried a few which I know one can ping; quite
a number of well known sites don't respond to pings.

what os is the laptop running? If you go to the network properties on the
laptop I am assuming that the router has assigned an i/p address similar to
the modem LAN i/p .. last number different? with a subnet mask of
255.255.255.0 - what is the entry as gateway?
--
(•.(*•. .•*).•)
.••. Nik .••.
Old October 21st 11, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Ghostrecon wrote

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 20:26:28 +0100, Peter wrote:

Ghostrecon wrote

after the modem has connected and the router gets its wan i/p do you get
primary dns as 212.23.3.100 and 212.23.6.100 ?.

Yes, I see those allocated by ZEN's DHCP server.

what i/p's can you ping I assume its only the router i/p

I can ping various external IPs.

But URLs time out. I have tried a few which I know one can ping; quite
a number of well known sites don't respond to pings.

what os is the laptop running? If you go to the network properties on the
laptop I am assuming that the router has assigned an i/p address similar to
the modem LAN i/p .. last number different? with a subnet mask of
255.255.255.0 - what is the entry as gateway?

I have the DHCP server in the TZ100 enabled and set for

172.16.21.60 .. 79 for the W0 (WLAN) interface
192.168.10.60 .. 79 for the X0 (Ethernet) interface

On the laptop

IPCONFIG /ALL

shows stuff which looks normal. with a ...76 IP assigned (has to be OK
otherwise there would be no connectivity, and I would not even be able
to config the router) and for the DHCP server it shows 192.168.10.1.

For the DNS servers I see 212.23.3.100 and 6.100, which is right for
ZEN.

Yet, name lookups don't work.
Old October 21st 11, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Peter (for it is he) wrote:

IPCONFIG /ALL

shows stuff which looks normal. with a ...76 IP assigned (has to be OK
otherwise there would be no connectivity, and I would not even be able
to config the router) and for the DHCP server it shows 192.168.10.1.

For the DNS servers I see 212.23.3.100 and 6.100, which is right for
ZEN.

Yet, name lookups don't work.

Test it with nslookup.

nslookup hostname

to use OS DNS servers.

nslookup hostname 8.8.8.8

to use Google public DNS, for example.

If you've enabled Enforced Client AV, you won't be allowed to prat about on
the internet without AV installed. If you've specified authentication on a
zone [= group of interfaces] you'll have to authenticate before you're
allowed out. Plenty to keep you busy there!

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
22:43:50 up 35 days, 3:57, 5 users, load average: 0.15, 0.07, 0.12