"Real" download sizes for Iplayer?

Old October 26th 11, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Default "Real" download sizes for Iplayer?

I've been seeing some excessive download stats via ZEN and wonder if
Iplayer might be a partial cause.

Doing some googling e.g.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbiplayer/N...thread=7524511

Typical file sizes for a 1hr programme a

Streaming (PC, PS3)
Low bandwidth streaming (480Kbps) = 190-210MB
Standard quality streaming (800Kbps) = 320-340MB
High quality streaming (1500Kbps) = 600-640MB
High definition streaming (2800Kbps) = 1.10-1.20GB

Mobile
Mobile streaming (396Kbps) = 160-170MB
Mobile 3g streaming = 120-130MB

Downloads
iPlayer desktop (1500Kbps) = 600-640MB
Windows Media Player (WMV) = 550-600MB
Portable devices (WMV) = 210-230MB

Set-Top-Boxes, FreeSat, TVs etc
Standard quality streaming (800Kbps) = 320-340MB
High quality streaming (1500Kbps) = 600-640MB
High definition streaming (2800Kbps) = 1.1-1.2GB

I think the HD (last line) figure of 1.2GB/hr is bull, because that
comes to ~2.6megabits/sec which our ADSL should do easily, measuring
at 5.3, but no way can we watch HD. The BBC app just reports that we
don't have enough bandwidth. Maybe there are some much higher burst
rates involved?
Old October 26th 11, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Peter wrote:
[...]

HD started to fail for me at around 3Mbps actual transfer rates.

Remember if that's all you have, buffering ahead can easily get flushed
out..it never has time to fill up much.

Really you need a 3Mbps BRAS and not much else like mail or timed
checks going on to get a good HD stream.

That in reality means at least 3500 raw transfer speed and a good ISP.
Old October 27th 11, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

Peter wrote:

I think the HD (last line) figure of 1.2GB/hr is bull, because that
comes to ~2.6megabits/sec which our ADSL should do easily, measuring
at 5.3, but no way can we watch HD. The BBC app just reports that we
don't have enough bandwidth. Maybe there are some much higher burst
rates involved?

I've never streamed live, but using get_iplayer on linux to download
this does seem about right for HD (720p25)

An old prog I had on disk is 3.2mbit/s a test I just did is 2.7mbit/s so
maybe they reduced bit rates or maybe they vary.

As to why it won't let you stream HD I don't know - maybe the BBC app
takes PC spec into account, or perhaps your ISP selectively throttles
iplayer traffic.

Old November 2nd 11, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 26/10/2011 10:46, Peter wrote:
High definition streaming (2800Kbps) = 1.1-1.2GB

Yes, that's the right ball park.

I watched two BBCi Player HD programmes last week directly on my Sony
TV, 'Shock and Awe', that was 1.5 GB, and Frozen Planet, 1.2 GB.

The Beeb issue patronising warnings about the cost of texts, and 090*
voting lines, but say nothing about BBC iplayer possibly tipping you
over your download limit.

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Old November 3rd 11, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 02/11/2011 21:31, Mark Carver wrote:
On 26/10/2011 10:46, Peter wrote:
High definition streaming (2800Kbps) = 1.1-1.2GB

Yes, that's the right ball park.

I watched two BBCi Player HD programmes last week directly on my Sony
TV, 'Shock and Awe', that was 1.5 GB, and Frozen Planet, 1.2 GB.

The Beeb issue patronising warnings about the cost of texts, and 090*
voting lines, but say nothing about BBC iplayer possibly tipping you
over your download limit.

That's the main reason I use iPlayer very sparingly - if at all.
I found the best way - and cheapest in the long term - was to buy a
hard-disk/DVD recorder/player and record programmes on that with the
built-in timer.
Something like this:
http://www.richersounds.com/products.../dvd-recorders

Or get a Sky / Virgin box...

George
Old November 3rd 11, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

George Weston (for it is he) wrote:

On 02/11/2011 21:31, Mark Carver wrote:

The Beeb issue patronising warnings about the cost of texts, and 090*
voting lines, but say nothing about BBC iplayer possibly tipping you
over your download limit.

You disparage them for issuing warnings, and for not issuing warnings?

That's the main reason I use iPlayer very sparingly - if at all.

Or get a Sky / Virgin box...

How much more internet could you get for the cost of the Sky/Virgin
subscription that comes with it?

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:23:55 up 48 days, 3:37, 7 users, load average: 0.15, 0.08, 0.12

Old November 3rd 11, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 03/11/2011 21:25, alexd wrote:
George Weston (for it is he) wrote:

On 02/11/2011 21:31, Mark Carver wrote:

The Beeb issue patronising warnings about the cost of texts, and 090*
voting lines, but say nothing about BBC iplayer possibly tipping you
over your download limit.

You disparage them for issuing warnings, and for not issuing warnings?

That's the main reason I use iPlayer very sparingly - if at all.

Or get a Sky / Virgin box...

How much more internet could you get for the cost of the Sky/Virgin
subscription that comes with it?

A good question but as you will have read, I have neither.
Old November 4th 11, 12:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

alexd considered Thu, 03 Nov 2011 21:25:33
+0000 the perfect time to write:

George Weston (for it is he) wrote:

On 02/11/2011 21:31, Mark Carver wrote:

The Beeb issue patronising warnings about the cost of texts, and 090*
voting lines, but say nothing about BBC iplayer possibly tipping you
over your download limit.

You disparage them for issuing warnings, and for not issuing warnings?

IF they are going to issue warnings, they should do so for all
activities which have a similar risk of cost being incurred by the
user.

That's the main reason I use iPlayer very sparingly - if at all.

Or get a Sky / Virgin box...

How much more internet could you get for the cost of the Sky/Virgin
subscription that comes with it?

You can get Freeview HD, and either a Freeview HD+ box or record it to
a PC through an adapter.
Or the same with the free-to-air Sky service.
Neither needs a subscription.
Probably not as many channels though.
Old November 4th 11, 01:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 00:35:01 +0000, Phil W Lee wrote:

alexd considered Thu, 03 Nov 2011 21:25:33 +0000
the perfect time to write:

George Weston (for it is he) wrote:

On 02/11/2011 21:31, Mark Carver wrote:

The Beeb issue patronising warnings about the cost of texts, and 090*
voting lines, but say nothing about BBC iplayer possibly tipping you
over your download limit.

You disparage them for issuing warnings, and for not issuing warnings?

IF they are going to issue warnings, they should do so for all
activities which have a similar risk of cost being incurred by the user.

I suspect there are regulations about mentioning text/phone charges. None
such for data.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old November 4th 11, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

On 03/11/2011 11:22, George Weston wrote:

That's the main reason I use iPlayer very sparingly - if at all.
I found the best way - and cheapest in the long term - was to buy a
hard-disk/DVD recorder/player and record programmes on that with the
built-in timer.
Something like this:
http://www.richersounds.com/products.../dvd-recorders

Or get a Sky / Virgin box...

Yes, indeed. I've got several PVRs in the household, but I still manage
to forget to set them for everything I want to watch :-(

Typical i-player usage for me is only about 1 or 2 hrs a month.

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk