A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Streaming HD I-player video.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 26th 11, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,728
Default Streaming HD I-player video.

Further to the person who was asking..lost the original thread..I just
made some checks.

On my link here a 4Mpbps BRAS is good enough, but I am running into raw
CPU power to keep the Flash going without the odd jerk when the scene
changes. Even on 'small screen' rather than 'full screen'

I've only got a two core 1.6G Celeron..Nvidia graphics card.

And a 64 bit flash running under Linux.

So it looks like in my case CPU is the limiting factor.

  #2  
Old October 26th 11, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 486
Default Streaming HD I-player video.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

So it looks like in my case CPU is the limiting factor.


Flash rarely seems to hit its promise of using GPU acceleation instead
of CPU grunt, even on Windows.

  #3  
Old October 26th 11, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 51
Default Streaming HD I-player video.


The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Further to the person who was asking..lost the original thread..I just
made some checks.

On my link here a 4Mpbps BRAS is good enough, but I am running into raw
CPU power to keep the Flash going without the odd jerk when the scene
changes. Even on 'small screen' rather than 'full screen'

I've only got a two core 1.6G Celeron..Nvidia graphics card.

And a 64 bit flash running under Linux.

So it looks like in my case CPU is the limiting factor.


It could be?

Can you play this Alps video
http://vimeo.com/29735955

That was made for about 2.5megabits/sec *average* bitrate. Another
more original version is here, which could not have been messed with
by Vimeo
http://www.zen74158.zen.co.uk/videos/st-gallen-alps.m4v

A lot of PCs won't play it even off the hard drive.
  #4  
Old October 26th 11, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,728
Default Streaming HD I-player video.

Andy Burns wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

So it looks like in my case CPU is the limiting factor.


Flash rarely seems to hit its promise of using GPU acceleation instead
of CPU grunt, even on Windows.

Over many years I have come to the firm conclusion that if Adobe write
it, it will be a pile of CPU inefficient steaming wombat turds.

From my first exposure to postcript 'the file is HOW big? You mean I
need more processing power and RAM in my PRINTER than in the whole
office SERVER let alone the MAC or PC...to Flash, its always been the
same story...designed by academics to be all things to all men, and
needing a computer the size of a planet to run it.

I did notice some improvement when going from intel onboard to NVIDIA
card..the full screen NORMAL flash was unusable on the intel - and going
from 32 bit to 64 bit native OS as well.


So it must use SOME advanced stuff.

But it remains probably THE most CPU hungry process on my system.

  #5  
Old October 26th 11, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,728
Default Streaming HD I-player video.

Peter wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Further to the person who was asking..lost the original thread..I just
made some checks.

On my link here a 4Mpbps BRAS is good enough, but I am running into raw
CPU power to keep the Flash going without the odd jerk when the scene
changes. Even on 'small screen' rather than 'full screen'

I've only got a two core 1.6G Celeron..Nvidia graphics card.

And a 64 bit flash running under Linux.

So it looks like in my case CPU is the limiting factor.


It could be?

Can you play this Alps video
http://vimeo.com/29735955


Yes, in full screen its slightly jerky when the camera moves fast or
when the scene changes. using nearly all CPU.



That was made for about 2.5megabits/sec *average* bitrate. Another
more original version is here, which could not have been messed with
by Vimeo
http://www.zen74158.zen.co.uk/videos/st-gallen-alps.m4v

A lot of PCs won't play it even off the hard drive.


Ill try..its downloading it instead of playing it...if its a windows
type format I may not have a codec tho. Oh VLC seems to play it very
well. FAR less CPU than flash.

Lovely video. If you took it, I am jealous as hell.

  #6  
Old October 26th 11, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 51
Default Streaming HD I-player video.


The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Over many years I have come to the firm conclusion that if Adobe write
it, it will be a pile of CPU inefficient steaming wombat turds.


Yes, and same for anything even looked at by Symantec.
  #7  
Old October 26th 11, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 51
Default Streaming HD I-player video.


The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Peter wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Further to the person who was asking..lost the original thread..I just
made some checks.

On my link here a 4Mpbps BRAS is good enough, but I am running into raw
CPU power to keep the Flash going without the odd jerk when the scene
changes. Even on 'small screen' rather than 'full screen'

I've only got a two core 1.6G Celeron..Nvidia graphics card.

And a 64 bit flash running under Linux.

So it looks like in my case CPU is the limiting factor.


It could be?

Can you play this Alps video
http://vimeo.com/29735955


Yes, in full screen its slightly jerky when the camera moves fast or
when the scene changes. using nearly all CPU.

The jerkiness is a problem I have not resolved on *any* PC. But then I
don't have a PC which is a totally money no object state of the art
gaming machine.

The only way I can ever see that video smoothly is via HDMI playback
direct from the camcorder into a 1080P Sony TV, and that bitrate is
about 25mbits/sec.

The only way I can make it playable on any "computing device" I have
is to avoid rapid camera panning, which is obviously a good idea
anyway.

This is all OT but it remains a mystery.

Iplayer plays fine on a half decent PC, or an Ipad2, but not in the HD
mode whatever I do.

That was made for about 2.5megabits/sec *average* bitrate. Another
more original version is here, which could not have been messed with
by Vimeo
http://www.zen74158.zen.co.uk/videos/st-gallen-alps.m4v

A lot of PCs won't play it even off the hard drive.


Ill try..its downloading it instead of playing it...if its a windows
type format I may not have a codec tho. Oh VLC seems to play it very
well. FAR less CPU than flash.

Lovely video. If you took it, I am jealous as hell.


Yeah, that one is from here
http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/kithira/
A non low cost hobby

There is a basic issue, also unresolved for me, that under windoze one
has to download the whole file before it starts playing, which is
ridiculous for a file of say 1GB. On Apple platforms it starts
playback as soon as it has buffered a bit. This is also supposed to
happen with some windoze players e.g. VLC but for some reason it fails
as a result of the browser doing something wrong.

The way it is solved under windoze is by installing a media server on
the file server, and that is what Youtube, Vimeo, etc provide you
with.
  #8  
Old October 26th 11, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 486
Default Streaming HD I-player video.

Peter wrote:

Can you play this Alps video
which could not have been messed with by Vimeo
http://www.zen74158.zen.co.uk/videos/st-gallen-alps.m4v

A lot of PCs won't play it even off the hard drive.


Lowly AMD Fusion E350 plays it fine fullscreen or windowed

using vLC 35-40% CPU
or WMP 25-30% CPU
  #9  
Old October 26th 11, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 330
Default Streaming HD I-player video.


Andy Burns wrote

Peter wrote:

Can you play this Alps video
which could not have been messed with by Vimeo
http://www.zen74158.zen.co.uk/videos/st-gallen-alps.m4v

A lot of PCs won't play it even off the hard drive.


Lowly AMD Fusion E350 plays it fine fullscreen or windowed

using vLC 35-40% CPU
or WMP 25-30% CPU


I would be interested in whether you get totally smooth playback.
  #10  
Old October 26th 11, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 486
Default Streaming HD I-player video.

Peter wrote:

http://www.zen74158.zen.co.uk/videos/st-gallen-alps.m4v

A lot of PCs won't play it even off the hard drive.
I would be interested in whether you get totally smooth playback.


Silky smooth (other than the camera wobble).

Instantaneous disk reads measured by VLC (i.e before decoding) ranges
between 1.4 and 6.5MB/s, can't see why that would worry any disk unless
it's fragmented to hell ...

 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
streaming video kkm uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 20 April 28th 10 03:08 PM
Live streaming video Allan Mac uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 June 25th 07 09:11 PM
Streaming Video Help Steve uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 12 May 6th 04 07:46 PM
problem streaming video over network flash uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 0 July 26th 03 05:34 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.