Can one run an SSL VPN on the same IP as an HTTPS web server?

Old October 29th 11, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Default Can one run an SSL VPN on the same IP as an HTTPS web server?

I can't see any way to do this...

One could run the SSL VPN on say port 444 or whatever, but then you
lose the main advantage of the SSL VPN which is that all GPRS/3G
networks are sure to support it.

If we got a 2nd IP from the ISP, how does that work with a single ADSL
connection? The modem displays just one IP. This must be a stupid
question
Old October 29th 11, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On 29/10/11 11:27, Peter wrote:

If we got a 2nd IP from the ISP, how does that work with a single ADSL
connection? The modem displays just one IP. This must be a stupid
question

I used to have a block of 8 IP addresses from Demon. They fire traffic
for these IPs down the ADSL pipe to your router. Your router
(probably) uses one of the IP addresses itself, and then routes the
other IP addresses to other kit on your home Ethernet. Often the
router's firewall will only firewall traffic to its own IP, so you
have to firewall the other devices individually.

Old October 29th 11, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Andrew Benham wrote

On 29/10/11 11:27, Peter wrote:

If we got a 2nd IP from the ISP, how does that work with a single ADSL
connection? The modem displays just one IP. This must be a stupid
question

I used to have a block of 8 IP addresses from Demon. They fire traffic
for these IPs down the ADSL pipe to your router. Your router
(probably) uses one of the IP addresses itself, and then routes the
other IP addresses to other kit on your home Ethernet. Often the
router's firewall will only firewall traffic to its own IP, so you
have to firewall the other devices individually.

Curious!

I cannot see any config for that in any router I have played with.

I guess that one would T-off the modem-router interconnection, to pick
up the other IPs. So this isn't going to work with a router+modem
combo box.

On PPPoE, the router will do the ISP login.
Old October 29th 11, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 15:28:03 +0100, Peter wrote:

Andrew Benham wrote

On 29/10/11 11:27, Peter wrote:

If we got a 2nd IP from the ISP, how does that work with a single ADSL
connection? The modem displays just one IP. This must be a stupid
question

I used to have a block of 8 IP addresses from Demon. They fire traffic
for these IPs down the ADSL pipe to your router. Your router (probably)
uses one of the IP addresses itself, and then routes the other IP
addresses to other kit on your home Ethernet. Often the router's
firewall will only firewall traffic to its own IP, so you have to
firewall the other devices individually.

Curious!

I cannot see any config for that in any router I have played with.

I guess that one would T-off the modem-router interconnection, to pick
up the other IPs. So this isn't going to work with a router+modem combo
box.

I used router+modem boxes - both the Speedtouch TG585 which Demon
supplied, and my own Netgear DG834G and GT boxes. Nothing much to
configure on the router+modem side. The individual computers have
their own static IP addresses, with the default route set to the
router+modem's IP address. One has to turn NAT off on the router,
and that's about it.
The modem demodulates the ADSL, the router terminates the PPP link on
its own IP address and acts as a router for the rest of the local network.
Simples :-)
Old October 29th 11, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Andrew Benham wrote

On 29/10/11 11:27, Peter wrote:

[...]

Turning off NAT is a big problem, however.