REQ: Line Box or DSL Filter Advice

Old October 29th 11, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony R. Gold

Default REQ: Line Box or DSL Filter Advice

My BT phone lines come into my house in a 24 pair cable to a BT 20 pair
connection box that uses Krone type punchdown terminals. And then solid core
punchdown cables link the active lines to a small phone system that uses
Krone punchdown inputs. I guess it's legal because that was all supplied and
installed by BT around 12 years ago to a previous home owner.

I'm now trying to figure some way of adding DSL to some of those lines but
not sure how to do it neatly. The various filters and filtered boxes I know
all present the filtered baseband voice outputs to BT431A type sockets which
implies stranded wiring. Can anyone suggest suitable filtering devices that
offer the filtered baseband out on screw or punchdown terminals suitable for
solid core cabling? The DSL can come out on RJ11 for the leads to the modems.

Thanks.
Old October 29th 11, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 21:09:28 +0100, Anthony R. Gold wrote:

My BT phone lines come into my house in a 24 pair cable to a BT 20 pair
connection box that uses Krone type punchdown terminals. And then solid
core punchdown cables link the active lines to a small phone system that
uses Krone punchdown inputs. I guess it's legal because that was all
supplied and installed by BT around 12 years ago to a previous home
owner.

I'm now trying to figure some way of adding DSL to some of those lines
but not sure how to do it neatly. The various filters and filtered boxes
I know all present the filtered baseband voice outputs to BT431A type
sockets which implies stranded wiring. Can anyone suggest suitable
filtering devices that offer the filtered baseband out on screw or
punchdown terminals suitable for solid core cabling? The DSL can come
out on RJ11 for the leads to the modems.

You can get Krone strips that have screw terminals on one side. So you
could add an intermediate box, I guess.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old October 29th 11, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony R. Gold

On 29 Oct 2011 20:16:19 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

[...]

Thanks and I could also use jellybean butt splice connectors if I was happy
to go that way. I was really hoping someone could offer a solution that
avoided taking the baseband path via any BT431A plug/socket joints.
Old October 29th 11, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 21:27:56 +0100, Anthony R. Gold wrote:

[...]

The aforementioned box would of course contain the filter - extracted if
necessary from a faceplate or similar.

Old October 30th 11, 01:05 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony R. Gold

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 14:41:37 -0700 (PDT), Owain
wrote:

On Oct 29, 9:27*pm, "Anthony R. Gold" wrote:
I was really hoping someone could offer a solution that
avoided taking the baseband path via any BT431A plug/socket joints.

You can get filtered faceplates that have 6 IDC terminals on the back
- 4 for 2-3-4-5 extension wiring and AB for unfiltered to take the
broadband.
http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product....cat=262&page=1

They're intended to be used on the front of NTE5s but you could use
them on their own if you can make a suitable mounting, taking the line
to the AB and the extension off the 2-5 pair.

There is also a hardwired ADSL filter here
http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product....cat=266&page=1

note that all terminals on this are screw not IDC

Many thanks, those are both most helpful to my needs.
Old October 30th 11, 09:38 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
John Weston

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 14:41:37 -0700 (PDT), Owain wrote:

You can get filtered faceplates that have 6 IDC terminals

on the back
- 4 for 2-3-4-5 extension wiring and AB for unfiltered to take the
broadband.
http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product....cat=262&page=1

They're intended to be used on the front of NTE5s but you could use
them on their own if you can make a suitable mounting, taking the line
to the AB and the extension off the 2-5 pair.

There is also a hardwired ADSL filter here
http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product....cat=266&page=1

note that all terminals on this are screw not IDC

Or use these, rather than trying to use a faceplate filter:
http://www.adslnation.com/products/xtf.php

Just checked one of my stock and find the phone side has
punch-down IDC connectors whereas the through, ADSL, side
has screw "choc-block" style terminals.
--
John W

--
John W
Old October 30th 11, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony R. Gold

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 09:38:14 -0000, John Weston
wrote:

[...]

Thanks, those look very appropriate considering I don't even have any NTE5s,
so I ordered a couple in the smaller size (68mm). That "choc-block" is
intended primarily for the incoming pair.
Old October 30th 11, 03:26 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

"Anthony R. Gold" wrote in message
[...]

All you have to do is divert which ever line you wish to use so that it goes
through an NTE5 and then fit a frontplate filter sending a 2 wire connection
back to your switch, terminated on connections 2 and 5 on the back of the
frontplate filter..

Simplesssssss

Old October 30th 11, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
John Weston

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 11:03:09 +0000, Anthony R. Gold wrote:

has screw "choc-block" style terminals.

Thanks, those look very appropriate considering I don't even have any NTE5s,
so I ordered a couple in the smaller size (68mm). That "choc-block" is
intended primarily for the incoming pair.

And for the straight-through ADSL carrying connection.

--
John W
Old October 31st 11, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony R. Gold

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 21:22:16 -0000, John Weston
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 11:03:09 +0000, Anthony R. Gold wrote:

has screw "choc-block" style terminals.

Thanks, those look very appropriate considering I don't even have any NTE5s,
so I ordered a couple in the smaller size (68mm). That "choc-block" is
intended primarily for the incoming pair.

And for the straight-through ADSL carrying connection.

Perhaps for some non-standard meaning of primarily :-)

My thanks to everyone for your help with this.