What is the best way to set up multiple wifi APs?

Old November 4th 11, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Default What is the best way to set up multiple wifi APs?

I have a Draytek 2955 router, whose LAN port goes to a 16-port
unmanaged switch coming out to a few PCs which are mostly on fixed
IPs, and has two Draytek 800 wifi APs coming off it also.

DHCP is enabled in the router LAN side, allocating out of a range
which does not conflict with any fixed IP devices.

I gather that the best way to do a "seamless" wifi coverage is to
configure each AP to the same SSID, same WPA/PSK etc parameters, same
everything, except different wifi channels e.g. 1,6,11.

Each wifi AP has DHCP disabled, so even though there is no explicit
"bridge mode" config option, this is what it must be doing.

Each AP's LAN port has an IP like 192.168.10.195 and 10.196 i.e. all
different but on the same LAN subnet. They can be accessed for admin
purposes OK.

It all works.

The reason I am asking here is that despite the latest wifi firmware I
am still seeing some odd behaviour on a Church of Jobs device (an
Ipad2, IOS5, brand new) whereby its wifi sometimes goes into a spasm
and runs extremely slowly - of the order of 1/1000 of the normal
speed. Usually after running BBC Iplayer, and usually after connecting
up the HDMI output adaptor....

There are plenty of wifi issues with COJ devices, all over the Apple
forums. Basically Apple have created incompatibilities with access
points with which everything else works fine. But I seem to have
solved these with the latest AP firmware in this case.

Some people configure APs with DHCP on each one, but then as you roam
around the house you pick up different IPs which is going to break any
web login etc sessions. Having all the SSIDs etc identical is supposed
to produce seamless roaming.