Strange broadband problem

Old November 12th 11, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hugh Newbury

Default Strange broadband problem

I've been with entanet for some years without problems. But for the last
few months I have not been able to post to or download messages from
news groups between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday. I haven't bothered to
investigate thoroughly, since I live in a tiny village which
nevertheless has a BT exchange. They are, I think, trying to improve the
network in the area, and I've assumed that the updating they're doing
has mucked up the broadband.

But I'm getting a bit fed up with the current regime. What do people
suggest I do? I'm sure BT phones would deny all knowledge, entanet say
their systems are working, so I don't know who else to ask. Can one
contact the BT broadband people, or BT engineers?

All ideas welcome.

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

WDorset

Old November 12th 11, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Hugh Newbury wrote:

I've been with entanet for some years without problems. But for the last
few months I have not been able to post to or download messages from
news groups between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday.

I doubt it's related to BT, more likely Entanet are throttling different
types of traffic at different types of day, a quick google search seems
to show various other usenet users complaining of the same issue ...
Old November 12th 11, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Hugh Newbury" wrote in message
I've been with entanet for some years without problems. But for the last
few months I have not been able to post to or download messages from news
groups between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday. I haven't bothered to
investigate thoroughly, since I live in a tiny village which nevertheless
has a BT exchange. They are, I think, trying to improve the network in the
area, and I've assumed that the updating they're doing has mucked up the
broadband.

But I'm getting a bit fed up with the current regime. What do people
suggest I do? I'm sure BT phones would deny all knowledge, entanet say
their systems are working, so I don't know who else to ask. Can one
contact the BT broadband people, or BT engineers?

I got rid of Entanet a long time a go for poor performance and went to Be
Unlimited best move I ever made.
Regards
David

Old November 12th 11, 05:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hugh Newbury

On 12/11/11 16:46, David wrote:

[...]

Sounds good. Can I just ask Be Unlimited to sort it out with Entanet for
me, or do I have to contact Entanet first?

Hugh

Old November 12th 11, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Hugh Newbury wrote:

Sounds good. Can I just ask Be Unlimited to sort it out with Entanet for
me, or do I have to contact Entanet first?

You need to initiate a migration process, see he-

http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/migration.htm

However, I'm not sure Be Unlimited offer their service on rural exchanges,
even if they do, it'll still be via a BT provisioned connection

Further reading:-

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/isps.html

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/se...beginners.html

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Old November 12th 11, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maurice Batey

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 16:28:55 +0000, Hugh Newbury wrote:

I have not been able to post to or download messages from news
groups between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday.

After several years of good service I moved from Entanet to ICUK in April,
because Entanet adopted a policy last year or so to throttle newsgroup access at
times of high contention (e.g. everyone streaming video from some international
match), and in the end I couldn't tolerate the effect on my normal usage.

The change of ISP - something I had not done before - was seamless, but of
course one has to ensure first that the new ISP can provide the facilities that
one needs.

--
/\/\aurice
(Retired in Surrey, UK) Registered Linux User #487649

Old November 12th 11, 09:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

Hugh Newbury considered Sat, 12 Nov 2011
16:28:55 +0000 the perfect time to write:

I've been with entanet for some years without problems. But for the last
few months I have not been able to post to or download messages from
news groups between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday. I haven't bothered to
investigate thoroughly, since I live in a tiny village which
nevertheless has a BT exchange. They are, I think, trying to improve the
network in the area, and I've assumed that the updating they're doing
has mucked up the broadband.

But I'm getting a bit fed up with the current regime. What do people
suggest I do? I'm sure BT phones would deny all knowledge, entanet say
their systems are working, so I don't know who else to ask. Can one
contact the BT broadband people, or BT engineers?

All ideas welcome.

Your connection is being throttled on traffic type, with restrictions
being varied by time-of-day.

Ditch Emptynet, and move to an ISP that will allow you to use what you
are paying for (like Zen, who I use and recommend, and who are 8 times
PC Pro Best ISP award winners and have been recommended by Which? 5
years in succession, among many other awards).

You will need to obtain a MAC (migration code) from EN, which you can
then use at any decent ISP of your choosing for the service to be
switched over.

Calling the sales line of any decent ISP will not only allow them to
explain the process, but give you an insight into the quality of their
service.

Any that can't explain it properly are well worth avoiding.
Old November 12th 11, 10:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Victor Meldrew

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 21:17:25 +0000, Phil W Lee
wrote:

Ditch Emptynet, and move to an ISP that will allow you to use what you
are paying for (like Zen, who I use and recommend, and who are 8 times
PC Pro Best ISP award winners and have been recommended by Which? 5
years in succession, among many other awards).

I agree that Zen are good but a recent ADSL2+ problem required me to
poke them daily with a sharp stick for over a week to resolve.
Thanks Usman.

Still good but not brill.

--
vic da dik
Old November 13th 11, 12:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Ditch Emptynet, and move to an ISP that will allow you to use what you
are paying for (like Zen, who I use and recommend, and who are 8 times
PC Pro Best ISP award winners and have been recommended by Which? 5
years in succession, among many other awards).

I agree that Zen are good but a recent ADSL2+ problem required me to
poke them daily with a sharp stick for over a week to resolve.
Thanks Usman.

Still good but not brill.

That's the same with any ISP you are nopt paying a fortune to.

The thing is that they DO respond when poked, same as IDnet do.

Old November 13th 11, 07:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

Victor Meldrew considered Sat, 12 Nov 2011
22:13:02 +0000 the perfect time to write:

wrote:

Ditch Emptynet, and move to an ISP that will allow you to use what you
are paying for (like Zen, who I use and recommend, and who are 8 times
PC Pro Best ISP award winners and have been recommended by Which? 5
years in succession, among many other awards).

I agree that Zen are good but a recent ADSL2+ problem required me to
poke them daily with a sharp stick for over a week to resolve.
Thanks Usman.

Still good but not brill.

And in their turn, they were probably poking BT with their won, much
bigger stick, which at least resulted in a fix, even if it took a
little while, which they probably found as frustrating as you did.

Some ISPs create their own problems as well, and few are as ready to
deploy the BT stick. Some can take well over a week before they even
start to prod BT, and a few don't bother at all, having decided that
it's cheaper to lose the customer than spend time (which is money in a
business) poking.